Help and Advice with Hattori KD Blade nicks / chips fix - Sharpen? Send out?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello fellow KKF members.

I am looking for some advice on what to do with this knife / blade. This Santoku came to me this way. I bought it very reasonable with the two small chips included. It came used, no box, and in the current conditions with some other very minor marks on the blade, kind of just rubbing to the finish. I have tried to take pictures to show the extent of the chips. For me, relatively new to KKF, this is probably the best knife and maker I have, unless I picked up something else great by chance...and I debated on whether I would even use it, given the relative value of the knife compared to my users, but think I may.

Anyway, I am assuming these chips can be sharpened out. But will it need thinning after? I am no experienced sharpener and don't think I want to tackle this one myself. So do I send it out? If so, to who? Do I need to be concerned about the profile after sharpening or that the whole job is done correctly if I send it to the right person? Am missing or not considering something? I know chips happen and good knives get fixed all the time, but the finish on this knife seems so good I am concerned about the end result.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20230801_184330.jpg
    20230801_184330.jpg
    464.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230801_184342.jpg
    20230801_184342.jpg
    468.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230801_184348.jpg
    20230801_184348.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 0
That doesn’t look to bad at all, but I’d understand wanting to send it out if you don’t sharpen all that regularly. I won’t say that it’d need thinning right away after taking those out but it probably won’t feel quite as lasery.

Any of the well regards knife shops you see talked about here frequently that have a sharpening service should be able to take of this no problem. For a full thinning and refinish after thinning I’d vote for Jon / Japanese Knife Imports just based on my limited sample of seeing Damascus refurbs on IG

Back