Help choosing rust eraser/remover

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, left town for the weekend. Had a house sitter and told him he can use The knives as long as he dries them well. In hind sight I should have told him to keep his paws off completely. In any case I learned my lesson and now I need to clean this up.

Which products you guys like the best?

Cover your eyes!
2lw2di.jpg

try simichrome first... its not going to cause scratches and would be my first shot if I were doing this

Thanks y’all I’ll try the semichrome first since I can find that locally. I’ll still get the rust eraser, what ms the difference between the two coarseness? I’m assuming I’d want a less abrasive one

The goal is to get the one that can get the work done with the least amount of damage... start with fine and go from there. In my experience fine works on very light rust... medium works for almost everything else

Mothers Mag Polish also works well.

But be careful, if you have some pitting and rub too hard for too long, you can inadvertently convert a semi mirror polish to a patchy mirror polish.

I generally try 0000 steel wool before anything else.

I generally try 0000 steel wool before anything else.

This ^^^ and then just work your way through a couple of stones to put a decent finish back on. Say a 1k>4k>finisher of choice.

Actually, I just looked at your photo again and it looks pretty superficial. I would try real hot water and rub with soap first then oil 'er up and let what's left turn into a patina.

Back