Help finding af budget knife as gift for a friend!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juztian

Reaction score

Denmark

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?

Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Western

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

210 mm, 8 inch

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

100 USD

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)?

It needs to be all around.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

German steel knives

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?

Pinch

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board?

Synthetic

Do you sharpen your own knives?

No

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives?

Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives?

Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I've been looking around trying to find a good budget knife for my friend, I know the Tojiro DP, Fujiwara Kanefusa are good options, but they blow the budget because the Fujiwara i can't find in Europe, so i have to buy it from JCK and the i need to import and tax which makes it cost about 120 usd and the Tojiro will cost 130 usd. i've been looking at a MAC Knife HB-85 which i can get for 80 usd which as far . Are there any other options that you can think of? Is there a chance i could get one of these in the BST Section?

Most of us have never paid customs from JCK. Ask him nicely before you buy and maybe he can find a way to ninja the package to your door...

The tough part is that within Europe there isn't a ton of choice at that pricepoint. Cleancut's offerings pretty much start at a 100 euros, and the same goes for most others.
Outside of Europe there are some options around that pricepoint if you're not too picky, but you'll still be playing customs lottery.

There aren't a lot of cheap knives on BST, and most stuff there is sold by US members. Which would put you in the same customs lottery department. There's always a chance but if you go down that path you could wait a very long time before finding something...

There aren't a lot of cheap knives on BST
He only needs one. Maybe he could put up a wanted add?
and most stuff there is sold by US members. Which would put you in the same customs lottery department.
I think he's got a better chance with second hand, as the sender can list the product as they like.
There's always a chance but if you go down that path you could wait a very long time before finding something...
No harm posting a wanted add while he keeps looking for something new.

The problem with the DP is that it's actually not that cheap in Europe. As in... it's over a 100 euros.
You can try to import it from Japan, but that includes playing customs lottery...

On putting up a BST add; I agree you can always give it a shot... it's just that I don't think it's reasonable to expect much of it. Don't forget that the Europeans are only a small minority here.

The MAC Superior in the last link is a good option at that price point.

Sharpening a VG-10 as in the DP is a bit problematic, as you have to go through a full progression for complete deburring, which involves at least 3 to 4 stones. With other stainless or carbons excellent results can be obtained with two stones only. Less stones, less work, less errors.

Back