help locating Masamoto KS White #2 165mm petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's my unicorn knife, every time he posts a picture of it i get a little agitated that i cant get one!!

I totally get it. I sometimes wish I would have jumped on one when I first got into knives but I didn't even know Masamoto existed let alone know what a honyaki was...lol. Lot of bones too...

Last edited:
Same as standard KS, stamped... I assume a requirement of the Masamoto brand.

Thanks, doesn't look very deep in the pic, I believe the new ones are laser engraved. Your KS honyaki is a beaut!
As for the 165 petty, I wonder if the kanji on these is stamped or engraved?
Wonder if they will keep stamping the sujis and pettys or begin engraving them as well?

It’s engraved on all the old ones, petty included:

https://instagram.com/p/BfyFhi-nABQ/

Thanks, doesn't look very deep in the pic, I believe the new ones are laser engraved. Your KS honyaki is a beaut!
Wonder if they will keep stamping the sujis and pettys or begin engraving them as well?

Not sure of what they call any of the kanji techniques, only to say I don't believe the old or new were ever what I'd call engraved which to me would mean done with chisels. The older style is definitely deeper into the metal than the newer ones.

As an aside; I never really care too much about the kanji anyway...the only exception is for the silkscreen or whatever it is on the SIH...really hated that.

From my limited understanding i think the types of kanji application techniques are: hand chiseled (wakui), stamped (Fujiwara FKH), laser engraved (newer KS), and screened (SIH). The older KS looks stamped to me.
Sorry to get a bit off topic. I to am interested in getting a matching petty (and suji) for my newer 210 and 240 KS's.

It is a beaut, ins't it? I am not one to spend $1k+ on a knife but if those were still in production I probably would. I really fell for my KS. You know that... :p

Why are people so obsessed with kanji and ferrule color??

For me, these knives are more than just a tool, they are functional art, I like how they are made, how they work, and how they look. And, im a bit OCD 🙄

Functionality is the most important but in all honesty for the amount that these cost, I want it to appeal to me. I know it seems trivial but I like what I like.

Back