Help me buy a 250mm light-midweight "laser"/slicer

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModRQC

Just shutup n' grabbit!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score

Canada – will prioritize national availability but open to direct (if J-knife) or possibly USA/Australia based vendors like KNS

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Gyuto/slicer

Are you right or left handed?

Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Ideally Wa but not a problem otherwise if balance is forward.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

Generous 240mm to short 270mm – say 245-255mm seems ideal.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

Prefer carbons or low alloys, either mono or SS clad.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

Least possible but want to see some country so let’s say around 450$ CAD – 300$ USD (leaves wiggling room with shipping/customs).

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

General preps + portioning/carving meat (mostly beef, pork)

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

It is not a question of replacing but finding something specific.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

Push and pull + slice

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Want something more mid-weight and laser-ish with some body, no flex. Spine around 2.5-3mm – somewhat of a Konosuke HD grind or a bit more body is ballpark. Rather narrower than wide blade, say 47-50mm with a preference at the lower end.

Like the profile of say Masamoto KS 240mm but don’t like neither price or what I hear about it quite often. But it ticks a few boxes right.

Just want to tap into you guys best knives instead of relying solely on my browsing. Need refreshing perspectives and suggestions I wouldn’t have though about or didn’t know about.

Like S. Tanaka a lot but is just geared a bit too wide and heavy than what I think would do me best with this purchase.

Maybe Konosuke HD2 Western Gyuto 240? I have the same knife and like it. The edge length is 246 mm and the height is 49 mm. The spine thickness is 2.4 mm. And the balance point is 5-7 mm forward of the heel (may not be forward enough for your taste though). It's only 250 USD at CKTG.

Konosuke Fujiyama Funayuki(KS profile) blue #2 steel~240mm, $350 retail price
50mm tall, 180g, 3.0mm wide over the heel, 2.5 mid pt, spec from@madmotts
Version
I just saw one up for trade only on other forum

How about a Wakui suji?

Way too short at heel. :)

Maybe Konosuke HD2 Western Gyuto 240? I have the same knife and like it. The edge length is 246 mm and the height is 49 mm. The spine thickness is 2.4 mm. And the balance point is 5-7 mm forward of the heel (may not be forward enough for your taste though). It's only 250 USD at CKTG.

Already have a Kono HD2 - shorter gyuto but trying not to double dip. I've been looking at them some though, they do fit the ballpark nicely.

Konosuke Fujiyama Funayuki(KS profile) blue #2 steel~240mm, $350 retail price
50mm tall, 180g, 3.0mm wide over the heel, 2.5 mid pt, spec from@madmotts
Version
I just saw one up for trade only on other forum

Blue #2 would be nice, will have to look into that.

Thanks guys!

I often hear about Shibata, Kashima and the likes where lasers are concerned. Any one would think they should fit the ballpark?

Way too short at heel. :)

Already have a Kono HD2 - shorter gyuto but trying not to double dip. I've been looking at them some though, they do fit the ballpark nicely.

Blue #2 would be nice, will have to look into that.

Thanks guys!

I often hear about Shibata, Kashima and the likes where lasers are concerned. Any one would think they should fit the ballpark?
I have the Shibata Kashima and you can find dimensions here: Show your newest knife buy

It might be too thin and too light?

Yes I think they're ideal but - availability is scarce!
There’s also one for sale at other forum, the date was around Jan/19. Dropped down to $230, not sure if it’s still available tho, from what I’ve seen still no one bought yet.

Last edited:
Ashi Ginga? Maybe too short at 240 and too long/tall at 270 though.

Sukenari 270mm gyuto may fit the bill. It's available in AS, and it looks like the profile is the same between the AS and the Ginsan, but I'd double check with James at KnS to be sure.

One last update. I got the cheaper non-forged 270mm ginsan from JCK, and I'm glad I did. The balance is perfect and I wouldn't want it to be any heavier: 258 x 52mm and 186g. The handle is the worst part, very cheap-feeling lightweight wood and horn that seems like it was finished under 800 grit, very similar to the handle on my CKC Mazaki kurouchi.

As far as being KS-profile-esque, it's close but no cigar. Compared to my Doi KS-style, the first 3/4s from the heel is flatter so the tip sits lower overall, but the curvature in the last 1/4 forces you to raise the knife to a higher angle for full board contact. The lack of flat spot behind the tip makes dicing onions annoying.

I ended up regrinding it and now it's closer to what I want (btw, I take back what I said in the ultra coarse stone thread about not needing the Pro 120). It was close enough to the right shape not to be a terrible amount of work, plus I like modifying my stuff. It's a good knife overall and I'll like it a lot more once I rehandle it.
I have the ginsan version in 270mm, and agree with Barmoley and toddnmd about the grind. It's nicely convex with decent food release for its weight. Not really wedgy but tended to split the center of apples and potatoes instead of cutting completely through. I like mine a lot better after some thinning - it's so close to ideal that it's not much effort.

I also like the low-tip profile, and the lack of absolute flat spot. If you compare edge profiles it's very similar to the Masamoto KS but with more of a forehead instead of a pointy tip. I don't like dead-flat spots, they tend to stop the knife on the board. A very slight curve like the Sukenari helps keep the cutting motion continuous without leading to accordion cuts.

Another thing to note is the almost complete absence of distal taper, which can be a positive or negative depending on how you prefer the balance. It's come to feel very natural to me, like an old glove.

If going Sukenari, go with a 270mm, as they're actually 260mm. Will feel more like a KS. The 240mm is short at 230mm.

Sukenari is a bit more beefy than a KS. Most here would want to thin them ootb. I use them (I have 2) for specific tasks.

Shibata AS 240 might fit the ballpark better. It's sturdier and closer to mid weight. And the edge is also almost 250 mm long.

I think you may have convinced yourself into a Shibata, which won’t be a bad choice given your portioning/carving requirements. They are indeed very sharp (that pointlessly satisfying stick in board feeling is hard to avoid) and keep an edge well. The only note of caution I‘ll mention is that I didn’t really enjoy my shibata gyuto (admittedly of the battleship variety) for anything other than slicing - in every other category it failed to displace my trusty Kono HD/SSs, feeling more sticky, fragile and frankly awkward, I ended up passing the gyuto on and buying a Shibata bunka instead. Even had vague ambitions of getting a Suji at some point, not that I ever got round to it.

Not sure I’d ever be rushing to get another Shibata gyuto mind, nor that it’d ever hold much appeal as a general prep all rounder. Suspect you’d find, like me, that there.was always a better suited knife for anything other than slicing, in which case why not just get a Suji to begin with?

And yep, the Shibata AS seems like a better option for you on paper, But the more middleweight specs of that range put it in a similar area to (for example) Yoshis and those Sanjo Kono/Yoshis...

Back