Help me buy my first knife and whetstones!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherryberry

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'd like to thank everyone for being so welcome. I can't emphasise enough on how big of a Japanese knife noob I am but I've been reading a lot this past month and I'm eager to learn.

My uncle is coming over from the States so I have a chance to buy a knife now which probably won't happen again in the near future.

Ordering the knife from the US though

KNIFE TYPE
• Chef's Knife/Gyuto
• Right handed
• Japanese Handle: D Handles seem more comfortable than the octagonal ones but I like the way the octagonal ones look, a lot!
• 210mm - 240mm

Do you require a stainless knife?
I'm not sure, from what I've read, stainless steel is softer and doesn't hold an edge as well as carbon steel. I don't fully understand how much care a non-stainless steel knife requires. I think stainless steel would work best for now but I want to hear what you guys have to say about this.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
I want to spend around $300 for a knife and one or two whetstones depending on how many I need.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for?
Slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, trimming meats, this probably covers it all, won't be using it on anything hard such as bones.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Just the few cheap/generic knives at home.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?
Not really, I want to learn how to pinch grip, though.

What cutting motions do you primarily use?
Push down and slice towards me?

I really care a lot about how the knife looks, I love Damascus steel, I also like the hammered look sometimes but I think both together are a bit visually busy. I would love a dark wooden handle.

Comfort
I just want the knife to be balanced, not too light, not too heavy

Ease of Use
Easy to sharpen and relatively easy to maintain

Edge Retention
Not entirely sure but perhaps once a week? Please tell me if this is too little. I intend to do it as a sort of meditation if that makes sense, repetitive tasks calm me down, don't judge me. [emoji23]

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? I have a plastic cutting board, but I'd buy a wooden one if that would be better for the knife.

Do you sharpen your own knives?
No, I just use a honing steel

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? Yes, very much so

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? I'm looking to buy one or two whetstones depending on what you guys recommend.

Thank you very much for all your help everyone. 😊

Welcome.
Egypt, hot and humid in the summer
I guess that needs to be a consideration on stainless steel or not.

Japanese Handle: D Handles seem more comfortable than the octagonal ones but I like the way the octagonal ones look, a lot!
Have you tried the octagonal wa handles? I find them comfortable, but I'd be fine with a D handle too.

I'm not sure, from what I've read, stainless steel is softer and doesn't hold an edge as well as carbon steel.
They're still hard enough and hold an edge.

I want to learn how to pinch grip
I hope you have a spare 10 seconds :)

Push down and slice towards me?
If you're not going to rock a little, maybe go for a gyuto with a flatter than average belly.

Not entirely sure but perhaps once a week? Please tell me if this is too little.
You don't need to sharpen that often.
I intend to do it as a sort of meditation if that makes sense, repetitive tasks calm me down, don't judge me.
In that case you want a nice finishing stone that's enjoyable to use.

Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? I have a plastic cutting board, but I'd buy a wooden one if that would be better for the knife.
Wood is good.

With your budget, and wanting stones (plus maybe a board), you may be best forgoing the Damascus / hammered finish.

Welcome.
I guess that needs to be a consideration on stainless steel or not.

Have you tried the octagonal wa handles? I find them comfortable, but I'd be fine with a D handle too.

They're still hard enough and hold an edge.

I hope you have a spare 10 seconds :)

If you're not going to rock a little, maybe go for a gyuto with a flatter than average belly.

You don't need to sharpen that often.
In that case you want a nice finishing stone that's enjoyable to use.

Wood is good.

With your budget, and wanting stones (plus maybe a board), you may be best forgoing the Damascus / hammered finish.
Thank you very much for the comprehensive reply!

So I guess I'd probably go for a stainless steel not to risk the humidity getting to the knife. I also think an octagonal handle would be just fine.

With all that in mind, if I still want to go for a Damascus finish, how much do you think that would stretch the budget? Could you also tell me roughly the budget allocation you have in mind? How much of the $300+ would go towards the knife, stones and board?

Thanks again!

A few points to consider:
Steel type:
Carbon steel (note that this is a somewhat confusing name for non-stainless steel; technically all steels contain carbon) can rust (if not kept dry and possibly in some humid environments- not sure if this is a problem in Egypt or not) and patina. It generally takes a keener edge than stainless steel and is easier to sharpen. Some stainless steels are actually quite hard. Semistainless steels are kind of in between but many are functionally almost stainless while retaining good sharpenability. PM (powder metallurgy) stainless steels such as R2 can be quite hard and have good abrasion resistance and therefore very long edge retention. And many are easier to sharpen than stainless (but not quite as easy as most carbon steels).

Grinds:
It may also be useful to decide whether you want a thin knife ("laser") that goes through tall hard food like sweet potato as though it weren't there but can get stuck in wet foods Like zucchini and potato. Or a thicker, more convexed knife which may wedge a little in tall hard foods (not nearly as much as what you are used to though) but glides through wet foods. Or something in between.

Stones:
I suggest add starting with an 800 - 1k stone and one in the 3-6k range. Eventually you will want a coarser stone. FWIW, I use Choseras and they are fine. Many other stones also get good reviews. You will need to decide if you want a "splash and go" stone or one which needs soaking prior to use. Look for stones that offer good feedback (the sound and feel on the stone changes when you are hitting the edge).

Thank you very much for the comprehensive reply!
You're very welcome.
So I guess I'd probably go for a stainless steel not to risk the humidity getting to the knife.
Someone who lives with carbon knives in a humid country will hopefully let you know if it's really a problem or not (I'm in the UK). People do generally prefer carbon, but there are a few decent SS knives about.

With all that in mind, if I still want to go for a Damascus finish, how much do you think that would stretch the budget? Could you also tell me roughly the budget allocation you have in mind? How much of the $300+ would go towards the knife, stones and board?
Well you can spend a fortune just on a board, it might be better to get something more basic in Egypt?

There are affordable stones that will do the job, but given that you want to sharpen regularly and for it to be an enjoyable experience, perhaps you want a reasonable chunk of the budget on that. But then the knife has to be the most important item, so it's difficult to say how to split the budget. Maybe find a knife (from recommendations here) you like the look of, that's not too expensive, and see what's left.

I'm not really sure what to recommend from the US with that budget, but I'm sure plenty of options will be thrown at you shortly.

A carbon knife just needs a little care to not let it stay wet, however.. "hot and humid" Summers sound like a pain for carbon. You might end up having to oil it before storing.. imo I would get a stainless steel gyuto, and experiment with carbon if you like with something like a petty later on. If it ends up too reactive then you will know for the future what works in your conditions.

Stainless Steel is not really softer. Keep in mind there is good stainless steel and crappy stainless steel. You can find very expensive top-end knives made of specific stainless steels, it's all a matter of what you need.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
I want to spend around $300 for a knife and one or two whetstones depending on how many I need.

It will be hard to get a knife within that budget with a damascus finish and dark handle, alongside other equipment. Keep in mind that if you make mistakes during sharpening etc, you can scratch the damascus finish - not that it's a big deal but it might be an issue to you.

If you are buying from the US, check out anything Jon has to offer. This seems to tick most of your boxes, and he could set you up with some stones and gear too if you wished.

Gonbei Hammered Damascus 240mm Gyuto [@JKI]

Or a good, non-damascus SS equivalent around that price range would be something like the Gesshin Uraku.

Obviously other stores will have good options also - just two examples that I am familiar with. Just keep in mind that at this price, you often sacrifice either knife quality, aesthetics, or quality control. JKI has very consistent quality even (especially?) on their lower end knives, which could be a benefit to you if you aren't going to be able to easily return/exchange the knife.

If you are stretching the budget, maybe look at a combination stone.

A damascus finish will be in the ballpark of $100-300 more expensive than a similar non- damascus knife (keep in mind that there are often no directly comparable knives with and without damascus).

"hot and humid" Summers sound like a pain for carbon. You might end up having to oil it before storing.. imo I would get a stainless steel gyuto
Sounds about right to me, unless the buyer knows they want carbon and wants to spend time looking after it.

A damascus finish will be in the ballpark of $100-300 more expensive than a similar non- damascus knife
That's my thinking. A nice hand made Japanese knife has a beauty of its own anyway, it doesn't need a fancy finish to be beautiful. That said, if you really want hammered/damascus, go for it.

At Nemo
Semistainless steels are kind of in between but many are functionally almost stainless while retaining good sharpenability. PM (powder metallurgy) stainless steels such as R2 can be quite hard and have good abrasion resistance and therefore very long edge retention. And many are easier to sharpen than stainless (but not quite as easy as most carbon steels).

Perhaps semi-stainless is the best option then? Are then any disadvantages to its advantages? Not as prone to rusting, retains an edge and relatively easy to sharpen. I understand it's not as good as either sides of the spectrum in their specialty but does it have any major drawbacks?

It may also be useful to decide whether you want a thin knife ("laser") that goes through tall hard food like sweet potato as though it weren't there but can get stuck in wet foods Like zucchini and potato. Or a thicker, more convexed knife which may wedge a little in tall hard foods (not nearly as much as what you are used to though) but glides through wet foods. Or something in between.

I think something in between would work best, maybe a tiny bit more towards the thicker end.

I suggest add starting with an 800 - 1k stone and one in the 3-6k range. Eventually you will want a coarser stone. FWIW, I use Choseras and they are fine. Many other stones also get good reviews. You will need to decide if you want a "splash and go" stone or one which needs soaking prior to use. Look for stones that offer good feedback (the sound and feel on the stone changes when you are hitting the edge).

How much do you think two stones (1k & 3-6k) of the "splash and go" variety would cost? I understand I would also need to buy a stone that flattens the stones? (Not sure what they're called)

At Triggaaar
Well you can spend a fortune just on a board, it might be better to get something more basic in Egypt?

I think so, I think the ~$300 should be for the knife and the stones, I can find a board over here.

But then the knife has to be the most important item, so it's difficult to say how to split the budget. Maybe find a knife (from recommendations here) you like the look of, that's not too expensive, and see what's left.

Sounds like a plan even though I'm sure I'll overspend this way :')

At Bobblybook

imo I would get a stainless steel gyuto, and experiment with carbon if you like with something like a petty later on.

Do you think a semi-stainless knife would fair better against the humidity?

If you are buying from the US, check out anything Jon has to offer.

I'm not sure I understand, who's Jon?

Gonbei Hammered Damascus 240mm Gyuto [@JKI]
Or a good, non-damascus SS equivalent around that price range would be something like the Gesshin Uraku.

Both seem great but I think if I have to forget about the Damascus finish, I'd really like a dark handle, I also don't think I'd want both a Damascus finish with a hammered finish on top of that.

which could be a benefit to you if you aren't going to be able to easily return/exchange the knife.

That would definitely be a huge plus!

Aesthetic Reference

All that being said, do you guys have any suggestions? Would anything fit the bill within my budget?

I linked a knife below from a website someone recommended on Reddit (japanesechefsknife.com) and I would love to get everyone's opinion.

https://japanesechefsknife.com/collections/wa-gyuto/products/jck-original-kagayaki-aogami-super-custom-damascus-series-wa-gyuto-210mm-240mm-2-sizes?variant=29165033283

• Is this knife any good?
  • Is this website any good?
  • Where on the spectrum does this knife's steel lie?
  • I really like the way this knife looks overall, fits what I had in mind, subtle Damascus and a dark handle, if it isn't good, any suggestions of a similar looking knife?

Edit: Thank you again, all. I really appreciate the time you're giving me. :)

Do you think a semi-stainless knife would fair better against the humidity?

I'm not sure I understand, who's Jon?
Of course, semi-stainless would fall somewhere between full stainless and carbon. For some climates it might just behave like a standard stainless, you would have to try it out.

Oh sorry, Jon = JKI = Japanese Knife Imports.

Perhaps semi-stainless is the best option then? Are then any disadvantages to its advantages? Not as prone to rusting, retains an edge and relatively easy to sharpen. I understand it's not as good as either sides of the spectrum in their specialty but does it have any major drawbacks?
Steel is quite (very) complicated and not all (within the same type) is equal, so I don't think it's as simple as saying that semi-stainless retains the edge better or is easier to sharpen. Instead just listen to the recommendations here for each particular knife.

It does sound like you'll be better with a stainless or semi-stainless option though (due to the humidity).

I think so, I think the ~$300 should be for the knife and the stones, I can find a board over here.
Yep. I want a nice (expensive) end grain board, but for now I'm just using a cheap old soft wood board, which is doing the job.

I linked a knife below from a website someone recommended on Reddit (japanesechefsknife.com) and I would love to get everyone's opinion.
I don't know about that knife (other will), but I will note that that's just about all of your budget. You can get very nice knives for a couple of hundred dollars, so with that kind of budget you'll definitely find something good.

I really like the way this knife looks overall, fits what I had in mind, subtle Damascus and a dark handle, if it isn't good, any suggestions of a similar looking knife?

Burnt chestnut/ebony handles are most often seen on more expensive knives (often carbon also), mostly because the premium to have that done is just not cost-effective at this level. You want to put as much of the $$$ into the knife itself as possible and not spend on irrelevant things. There are some exceptions that you may be able to find, but just keep in mind that most of the offerings you will find will have magnolia (ho wood) handles.

You can always have a knife rehandled (for ex. JKI offers this at $65/70 for iichi/burnt chestnut, link here) but obviously that is also additional money going elsewhere from your budget.

If this is important to you (no judging here, a lot of people have strong aesthetic preferences and that's perfectly fine), one option that might be good for you is a tanaka vg10 gyuto. Tanaka does vg10 very well, has a damascus variant, and you can find them either with nicer horn/ho wood handles, or cheaper handles with plastic ferrule. A tanaka vg10 damascus gyuto with the crappiest (= cheapest) handle you can find could be an ideal candidate for a burnt chestnut rehandle job. You would be a little stretched for budget room for stones, but I think it would be possible.

Edit: There are also possibly options for you overseas. James @ K&S has a lot of quality dark-handled gyutos. With the exchange rate, they may be a fairly effective option and get you what you want.

Hi again guys,

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by all this. The Damascus and the dark handle are apparently a little too much to ask for in my budget so I just thought maybe I should ask for specific knife recommendations in the ~$250 range. They don't have to be Damascus at all but a dark handle would be a plus. :angel2:

Edit: Semi-stainless please!

Edit 2: This knife looks amazing! Exactly what I want! Can someone give their opinion on this or recommend something aesthetically similar and maybe a little cheaper?

https://www.japanny.com/collections...eisuke-r2-sg2-gyuto-japanese-chef-knife-240mm

Yes, JCK (Japanese Chefs Knife) is a reliable vendor. Koki Iwahara is the proprieter and he is very responsive to emails.

But I would also encourage you to look at some of the vendors active on the forum. knivesandstones.com, japaneseknifeimports.com and japanesenaturalstones.com are all run by forum members and all get positive reviews for quality knives and sharpening gear, reliability and customer service.

The only damascus knife of which I have personal experience is the Shiro Kamo Syousin Suminagashi: http://www.knivesandstones.com/syousin-suminagashi-r2-damascus-gyuto-210mm-by-shiro-kamo/ .
Not sure if it's out of budget. I bought it despite not really caring for damascus. It is a very good knife, made of R2 PM core steel (fully stainless) clad in a demure damascus stainless. It is pretty easy to sharpen and stays that way a long time (several months in my home use). It is quite a tall knife. It's a middleweight knife which is fairly thin behind the edge yet has quite good food release. There is an upgraded version (shinko kurokumo) for more bickies (money) but the original is still very good.

If you are happy to go without damascus, look at the Tanaka najishi at K&S. The ginsanko is fully stainless and the blue 2 is carbon steel clad in stainless. The ginsanko "lite" version is a bit cheaper, with a lower grade (but still quite acceptable) handle and without the spine and choil rounding. They are fairly thin (but not laser) knives with reasonable food release given their thinness. Often recommended as a first knife.

It's also worth considering Yoshikane. Their skd and sld (both Stainless clad semistainless) lines are renowned as having a great combination of sharpenability and edge retention. I have the SKD and it is a very nice knife. Thicker than the others I have mentioned but quite good food release. A nice hammered finish too if you like that sort of thing (FWIW, I do).

The Gengetsu from JKI is a great knife if your budget can stretch that far. Really pushes the envelope on the tradeoff between thinness and food release. It's about as thin as the Tanaka najishi but with better food release. The (stainless clad) semistainless gets very sharp. JKI has other (semi) stainless knives which get good reports but I don't have personal experience.

Here's one way you could go:
Knife:
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...als/products/gesshin-stainless-210mm-wa-gyuto
Dark handle, decent stainless steel.

Stone:
http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store...t_info&cPath=335_405_583_585&products_id=2055
$51.60 at current exchange rates. Not sure how much shipping to the US would cost, but usually the Suehiro Rika (the fine 5000 grit side) runs about $50 all by itself, and it is a really nice stone to use.

And then check out Jon from Japanese Knife Imports' youtube channel on sharpening:
https://www.youtube.com/user/JKnifeImports

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by all this.
Don't stress it, take your time, you'll find something you like.

specific knife recommendations in the ~$250 range. They don't have to be Damascus at all but a dark handle would be a plus. :angel2:
Many people here have knife collections. I have one (well, one nice Japanese knife), so I can't compare knives for you. I researched along similar lines though, and chose this:
I have this one: http://www.knivesandstones.com/tanaka-ginsan-nashiji-gyuto-210mm-lite/
It's a very good knife. It's stainless, but the steel is good (quite a few people here have it and rate it - Nemo suggests it above). The handle is dark and I'm very happy with it, but there is a version (which I think you'd prefer) with an even nicer handle:
http://www.knivesandstones.com/tanaka-ginsan-nashiji-gyuto-210mm-with-ebony-handle/

The Itinomonn Kasumi is also well regarded, but it's not a dark handle:
http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/itinomonn-stainless-kasumi-210mm-wa-gyuto/

There's also the Gesshin Ginga, but that's more of a lazer (which you said you weren't after) and also has a light coloured handle.
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...oducts/gesshin-ginga-210mm-stainless-wa-gyuto

For reasonable money, I think they're the most recommended Japanese handled Stainless gyutos here.

Or you could spend less and go for the standard stainless gyuto:
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...ves/products/gesshin-stainless-210mm-wa-gyuto
but I don't think that's as highly rated as the others I mentioned.

http://www.knivesandstones.com/tanaka-ginsan-nashiji-gyuto-210mm-lite/
It's a very good knife. It's stainless, but the steel is good (quite a few people here have it and rate it - Nemo suggests it above). The handle is dark and I'm very happy with it, but there is a version (which I think you'd prefer) with an even nicer handle:
http://www.knivesandstones.com/tanaka-ginsan-nashiji-gyuto-210mm-with-ebony-handle/

Or you could spend less and go for the standard stainless gyuto:
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...ves/products/gesshin-stainless-210mm-wa-gyuto

The Tanaka Ginsan Najishi is indeed a very good value knife. It has a little more belly than some but this doesn't seem to affect its utility. It's not as easy to sharpen as carbon steel but is certainly easier than western stainless. It does get very sharp.

I have never held one (so I was going to refrain from commenting) but I don't think I've ever heard an unkind word said about the Gesshin Stainless line and there have been lots of positive reports. It is an often recommeded gateway knife and I suspect it should be on your shortlist.

Here is a knife you might like to consider:
http://bernal-cutlery.shoplightspeed.com/wakui-210mm-gyuto-shirogami-2-red-ebony-d.html
http://bernal-cutlery.shoplightspeed.com/wakui-240mm-gyuto-shirogami-2-red-ebony-d.html
It is stainless clad and has a carbon core-white #2 which is easy to sharpen but doesn't hold its edge as long as some other steels.
The profile is a gentle curve with very little flat spot in the 210, very thin behind the edge but not fragile, and it has one of my favorite handles and balances. I like it's looks and performance, reasonably priced, my favorite knife.

I'm also newbie and recently used this forum to pick knife. I settled on this Tanaka Blue 2 Najishi. This is carbon, not stainless.
(http://www.knivesandstones.com/tanaka-ginsan-nashiji-gyuto-240mm-with-ebony-handle/

I picked it because many on this forum suggested that Tanaka is one of the better values around for a legitimately great knife. The main issue is that Tanaka sometimes has poor fit and finish, and crappy handles. K&S fixes this issue by improving the fit and finish by rounding the spine, easing the choil, and putting beautiful ebony handles on. The picture doesn't do the handle justice, mine has a gorgeous wood grain. I've linked to some Tanaka options you might be interested in.

If you want damascus you could consider this, though its carbon not stainless.
http://www.knivesandstones.com/tana...uto-210mm-with-custom-octagonal-ebony-handle/
http://www.knivesandstones.com/tana...uto-240mm-with-custom-octagonal-ebony-handle/

If you prefer stainless you could consider this, though its not damascus. This is the same as the "light" version mentioned above but it costs a bit more because of the improved handle and the improved fit and finish.
http://www.knivesandstones.com/tanaka-ginsan-nashiji-gyuto-240mm-with-ebony-handle/

Again, I'm new to this as well, but I've loved my choice so far and thought I'd pass on some of what I concluded after reading a lot on this forum. If you picked one of these or something similar, you would still have room left to get 1-2 decent stones while staying close to the 300 dollar budget (2 stones might bring you over a bit).

... Or you could spend less and go for the standard stainless gyuto:

I guess I'm almost a contrarian (& perhaps sound like a broken record), but if buying in the USA I don't think you can do better than this as a starter knife. It has wonderful fit & finish for it's price, it has decent steel with outstanding heat treat and, if you ask, Jon & crew will set it up ready to go. My reasoning is that you don't really know which subtle details matter to you, you aren't ready to take on a project knife because you don't yet know what well setup is, and you don't want to blow, or blow up, your budget because you also need stones, a cutting board, etc.

For stones, general advice for a good knife like these is ~1K and 4K to 6K stone pair. If you are ordering from JKI this 1000 / 6000 Combo Stone has come back in stock and checks those boxes in premium stones. Note this is a soaking stone, which I find less hassle than it sounds, but could matter to you.

For damage repair, or sharpening more pedestrian knifes, something around a 400 grit stone is usually recommended. Again, if ordering from Jon, this is one he has recommended for that: 400 Grit Stone. Or, he has others in that range. Or, if you want a three grit set to start he has a three stone set which gets great reviews too.

You will need to flatten your stones. Since I'm listing more premium stones, the more deluxe way to flatten is with a diamond plate. Jon's Diamond Flattening Plate also gets good reviews and is less than the other well reviewed, e.g. Atoma, ones.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Gesshin stones & JKI service (and advice! Email them any questions you have.) If you want to keep your stone budget down, the sharpening forum is full of suggestions. E.g. the King Combo stone is often recommended. It's cheap & can get the job done. (I've also noticed it is one of the most common stones people "used to use"! :) )

Should you change your plans so you aren't placing (only) USA orders, other forum active forum vendor / members ship internationally and also have wonderful offerings and service.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I'm back again, hopefully for the last time to spare you guys. 😅

Several of you guys have recommended the same set of knives which is reassuring.

The Tanaka Ginsan Najishi seems to be a crowd favorite.
http://www.knivesandstones.com/tanaka-ginsan-nashiji-gyuto-240mm-with-ebony-handle/
I really like the way it looks, I like that it's stainless, but I still feel a little more drawn to carbon steel *but also worried about maintaining carbon steel*

Some have also recommended the The Gesshin Stainless 210mm Wa-Gyuto
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...als/products/gesshin-stainless-210mm-wa-gyuto
I don't love the way this one looks, maybe it's just the photography because I can't really decide why I don't. I also think I would really like a 240mm gyuto.

The two other versions of the Tanaka which you guys have recommended and I happen to also really like.

The Tanaka (辰光 誠貴作) Blue 2 Nashiji Gyuto 240mm Stainless Clad
http://www.knivesandstones.com/tanaka-blue-2-nashiji-gyuto-240mm-stainless-clad/
I like that this is carbon steel clad in stainless which I suppose would have the best of both worlds *correct me if I'm wrong please*

The Tanaka Blue 2 Damascus Gyuto 240mm
http://www.knivesandstones.com/tana...uto-240mm-with-custom-octagonal-ebony-handle/
Probably my favorite or maybe my second favorite aesthetically. I love the subtle damascus cladding but I'm not sure if it's stainless or not.

Speaking of Damascus Nemo recommended the beautiful Syousin Suminagashi R2 Damascus Gyuto 240mm
http://www.knivesandstones.com/syousin-suminagashi-r2-damascus-gyuto-240mm-by-shiro-kamo/
I'd say this is tied with the Tanaka for my "favorite aesthetically" spot. I also feel the carbon steel edge with stainless cladding would be perfect? *again, correct me if I'm wrong please*

It's also the most expensive which draws me more to the Tanaka.

dafox also recommended the Wakui 240mm Gyuto Shirogami #2 which is a different kind of steel all together (white steel #2)
http://bernal-cutlery.shoplightspeed.com/wakui-240mm-gyuto-shirogami-2-red-ebony-d.html
Also stainless steel clad. but it scares me that it doesn't
hold its edge as long as some other steels.

As for the stones, Colorado_cutter recommended the Suehiro Rika #5000 / Cerax #1000 stone
http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store...t_info&cPath=335_405_583_585&products_id=2055
The price I was looking for but I don't really know if I'd be able to order it from this website.

The Syousin 1000/6000 Combo Water Stone from K&S
http://www.knivesandstones.com/syousin-1000-6000-combo-water-stone/
A little more expensive that the Suehiro Rika but seems reasonable nonetheless.

The JKI 400 Grit and Diamond Flattening plate that Yet-Another-Dave recommended
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...coarse-stones/products/gesshin-400-grit-stone
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...accessories/products/diamond-flattening-plate
More than I was hoping to spend so I'm wondering if there are cheaper alternatives.

Thank you very much for all your help guys, I'm sorry I took a little too long to go through everything and I'm sorry for the long post. Looking forward to your advice! :)

... As for the stones, Colorado_cutter recommended the Suehiro Rika #5000 / Cerax #1000 stone
The price I was looking for but I don't really know if I'd be able to order it from this website. ...

Well, Stu is well regarded, completely honest (in my experience & by reputation), has great prices and a selection that is hard to find in the US. He is however a one-man-show and doesn't have the 24/7 Customer Service department of say Amazon. (He is also known to "disappear" at times, when he gets slammed by his day job.) If you have time to be patient, I think he's a great option. But be aware shipping to the US can be significant. In my experience that makes him a little cheaper than other vendors and I tend to go to him for things I can't find here.

ETA: for example, my last order from him was $70 of product and came to $106 with shipping. He shipped in a day or two, but it seemed to get hung up somewhere and took almost 3-1/2 weeks to arrive. (I've had previous orders take less than two weeks from shipping, so it varies. A lot. But that part is out of Stu's hands.)

... The JKI 400 Grit and Diamond Flattening plate that Yet-Another-Dave recommended
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...coarse-stones/products/gesshin-400-grit-stone
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...accessories/products/diamond-flattening-plate
More than I was hoping to spend so I'm wondering if there are cheaper alternatives. ....

Stu at Tools from Japan has a Cerax 320 and an iWood diamond plate that get good reviews for a coarse stone and a flattening plate. (He also has some of the best prices on Atoma flattening plates which seem to be what all others are compared to.) These don't have the premium reputation the Gesshin stones do, but many have reported success with them.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I'm back again, hopefully for the last time to spare you guys. 😅

Several of you guys have recommended the same set of knives which is reassuring.

The Tanaka Ginsan Najishi seems to be a crowd favorite.
I really like the way it looks, I like that it's stainless, but I still feel a little more drawn to carbon steel *but also worried about maintaining carbon steel*

Some have also recommended the The Gesshin Stainless 210mm Wa-Gyuto
I don't love the way this one looks, maybe it's just the photography because I can't really decide why I don't. I also think I would really like a 240mm gyuto.

The two other versions of the Tanaka which you guys have recommended and I happen to also really like.

The Tanaka (辰光 誠貴作) Blue 2 Nashiji Gyuto 240mm Stainless Clad
http://www.knivesandstones.com/tanaka-blue-2-nashiji-gyuto-240mm-stainless-clad/
I like that this is carbon steel clad in stainless which I suppose would have the best of both worlds *correct me if I'm wrong please*

The Tanaka Blue 2 Damascus Gyuto 240mm
Probably my favorite or maybe my second favorite aesthetically. I love the subtle damascus cladding but I'm not sure if it's stainless or not.

Speaking of Damascus Nemo recommended the beautiful Syousin Suminagashi R2 Damascus Gyuto 240mm
http://www.knivesandstones.com/syousin-suminagashi-r2-damascus-gyuto-240mm-by-shiro-kamo/
I'd say this is tied with the Tanaka for my "favorite aesthetically" spot. I also feel the carbon steel edge with stainless cladding would be perfect? *again, correct me if I'm wrong please*

It's also the most expensive which draws me more to the Tanaka.

dafox also recommended the Wakui 240mm Gyuto Shirogami #2 which is a different kind of steel all together (white steel #2)
Also stainless steel clad. but it scares me that it doesn't

As for the stones, Colorado_cutter recommended the Suehiro Rika #5000 / Cerax #1000 stone
The price I was looking for but I don't really know if I'd be able to order it from this website.

The Syousin 1000/6000 Combo Water Stone from K&S
http://www.knivesandstones.com/syousin-1000-6000-combo-water-stone/
A little more expensive that the Suehiro Rika but seems reasonable nonetheless.

The JKI 400 Grit and Diamond Flattening plate that Yet-Another-Dave recommended
More than I was hoping to spend so I'm wondering if there are cheaper alternatives.

Thank you very much for all your help guys, I'm sorry I took a little too long to go through everything and I'm sorry for the long post. Looking forward to your advice! :)

All the knives you've listed are good knives and you won't be disappointed in any of them. I've got the Tanaka 240 Blue 2 gyuto (kurouchi not Damascus ) and the Wakui white 2 240 gyuto and love them both. I wouldn't sweat the decision. If you're anything like the rest of us you will find that this purchase is only a "gateway" knife and before too long you'll find that you have most of the knives on your list plus a few more that you haven't even heard of yet. Don't sweat the carbon thing either.

First of all, I can only see good choices here. You will be stoked with any of these knives. I'll offer a few comments on knives that I have some experience with or knowledge of:

If you want stainless clad carbon, the Tanaka blue2 najishi will perform very similar to the ginsanko but with probably better edge retention and easier sharpening. The core steel (below the lamenation line) will patina with use (which actually can look pretty cool in contrast with the stainless cladding) and will rust if left wet. It's not a bad introduction carbon steel.

The Tanaka damascus has a reactive (non-stainless) cladding. It did have a VERY reactive cladding (would discolour some foods until a patina set in) althugh there have been some reports that recent examples are much less reactive. James could probably tell you how reactive the ones in his store are. The core steel will be the same blue2 with the same good Tanaka HT as in the najishi.

The white/ shirogami steel in wakui will have less edge retention but it's not like you'll be sharpening every day or even every week in home use. There is something to be said for getting more practice sharpening, though. And the shirogami that I have sharpened is super smooth to sharpen. I have never used Wakui though.

Note that the Shiro Kamo Syousin Siminagashi has a core of R2 steel. This is a fully stainless PM steel. I find this sort of steel a little easier to sharpen than other stainless steels and edge retention is prodigious. Downside of this is less sharpening practice.

K&S has some Atoma plates with handles, which makes flattening stones a breeze. They are pretty competetively priced when you take the weak Aussie dollar into account.

Sherryberry that's a very nice bunch of options you have on your shortlist. :doublethumbsup:

There's really not much difference between the two Tanaka nashiji gyutos. The B2 is easier to sharpen and gets a little more sharp. The ginsan has better edge retention. Those differences are very marginal and otherwise they're the same knife. Both handles are really nice, the lite version and the more premium ebony handle. Personally I like the ginsan version more, but only with the smallest of margins. Both offer ridiculously good value.

Worth to mention that the Syousin Suminigashi is a big boy. It's quite tall and also the heaviest knife of the bunch (not by much though). It has the best edge retention of the group.

The Wakui takes the sharpest edge with the Tanaka B2 and is just as easy to sharpen, but has the worst edge retention here. The Wakui has the best profile with clearly the longest flat spot.

I wouldn't sweat about the core steel being carbon or not. With fully reactive knives the cladding is usually the most reactive part. With a SS cladding the carbon core is usually not that agressive so it's a great combo of carbon steel performance and easy maintenance.

And since you seem to be on the fence about reactivity that would leave the Tanaka damascus out as it has a reactive iron cladding. Like already mentioned the new ones have a less agressive cladding then the Tanakas of old, but still with SS cladding you would get more piece of mind. Otherwise it's another stellar option.

All these knives offer similar (really good) cutting performance with only slight differences in characteristics. So as already said you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Hey everyone!

Thank you very much for all your help and guidance! I truly appreciate it.

I got in touch with James and he was very helpful. I've decided ok the Tanaka Ginsan with the beautiful ebony/blonde marble horn handle. It'll be here in a month or so and I can't wait!

Thank you again, everyone! ^_^

Back