Help me choose

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heckel7302

KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking to fill a hole in the collection. Looking for a 210 Gyuto in Blue #1 with iron cladding. Currently looking at:

Takada no Hamono Suiboku

Konosuke FM Fujiyama

any pros/cons with either?

I’ve never used either, but it is worth noting that
Yoshikazu Tanaka is the blacksmith for both of those lines (depending on where you get the Takada from). So the heat treat and forge quality should be similar. Though that doesn’t give much information in regards to the sharpener.

Also curious about the finish on the Takada. From my experience, the Konosuke offerings' fit and finish are excellent. Spines and choils are perfectly rounded and polished, handles have rounded ends, crisp facets, and flush joints.

The Takada no Hamono finish AND performance is spectacular. Got one in White and Ginsan.

It’s fantastic and beautiful. The Suiboku finish is interesting and unique. It’s crazy thin behind the edge with a beautiful convex grind and decent food release for a laser. The cladding line is gorgeous, like billowy clouds separating the core and cladding.

The F&F is first class. The choil is ground only the face side. Hard to describe so attaching a picture. Really comfy in the right hand. Beautifully polished.

I’ve only had it a few weeks but early patina is very nice. Can’t yet attest to edge retention or ease of sharpening, but I expect both will be stellar.

overall, I have only good to say about it. It’s reputation is well deserved. You’re certainly paying a premium for the finish and craftsmen. It’s worth it to me (though I got a great deal on the BST), but worth is very subjective.

Attachments

• 8FB23C50-0E91-4E25-8766-957E113056F9.jpeg
    8FB23C50-0E91-4E25-8766-957E113056F9.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 9008DE3C-1A74-4415-9566-64B491A5E7D8.jpeg
    9008DE3C-1A74-4415-9566-64B491A5E7D8.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 41
  • AF05EDB0-57E5-4253-810F-25B43BF7EE23.jpeg
    AF05EDB0-57E5-4253-810F-25B43BF7EE23.jpeg
    40.9 KB · Views: 38
It’s fantastic and beautiful. The Suiboku finish is interesting and unique. It’s crazy thin behind the edge with a beautiful convex grind and decent food release for a laser. The cladding line is gorgeous, like billowy clouds separating the core and cladding.

The F&F is first class. The choil is ground only the face side. Hard to describe so attaching a picture. Really comfy in the right hand. Beautifully polished.

I’ve only had it a few weeks but early patina is very nice. Can’t yet attest to edge retention or ease of sharpening, but I expect both will be stellar.

overall, I have only good to say about it. It’s reputation is well deserved. You’re certainly paying a premium for the finish and craftsmen. It’s worth it to me (though I got a great deal on the BST), but worth is very subjective.
Is that a stock grind on the right side? It looks unusually high

Is that a stock grind on the right side? It looks unusually high
From the pics I’ve seen it’s pretty typical for there to be a little more core steel showing on the face, especially near the tip. I don’t think it’s a custom made. The original owner sold it because he asked Takada to make one with custom dimensions.

I just bought a Takada suiboku Tanaka from MTC having a Takada from Nakagawa as my main kitchen tool for a month. I love it. The F&F is first rate and she sure is purty. It’s a total joy to use.

Back