Help me find a 225mm Gyuto please

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As the title suggests I‘m looking for a 225ish Gyuto. As there is so much love around for those I thought it might be worth to try one. Unfortunately most of those seem to be marketed as 240 and it’s not easy to find out which run around 225. I don’t have the nerves to browse around all the commonly known vendors on the lookout so I would appreciate any help in tracking down the ones that are worth a look.

Thanks in advance everyone!

What country are you in?
Austria

KNIFE TYPE

What type of knife are you interested in
Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
Left

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Only Wa-handles

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
225mm +/-

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
I have no specific budget but am reluctant to spend more than 300€ (~350$) on that knife. Less would be great but a little more would be ok too.

KNIFE USE

Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
It’s a Gyuto so it should be able to do everything 😊

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
None

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
I love to sharpen so it’s not an issue

KNIFE MAINTENANCE

Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
No lasers please, I like a little heft to the blade.

Many of the older generations of Mazaki 210s ran more like 220+ in length. Looking at CleanCut, it looks like this might not be the case anymore, but you might be able to get an older model on BST from when they ran long... Not sure how well it'd work for a lefty though.

I have one that's 220 on the dot and IMO it's a great size.

Japanese knives are normally grind for right-handers. Left face flat, right one convex allowing better food separation. Edge off-centered to the left to enhance this feature. Symmetric blades are very rare — except for lasers where it really doesn't matter. Some makers or retailers advertise with a symmetric edge. The problem persists, as produce will stick to the left face — besides all kind of steering and wedging problems after a few sharpenings.

Japanese knives are normally grind for right-handers. Left face flat, right one convex allowing better food separation. Edge off-centered to the left to enhance this feature. Symmetric blades are very rare — except for lasers where it really doesn't matter. Some makers or retailers advertise with a symmetric edge. The problem persists, as produce will stick to the left face — besides all kind of steering and wedging problems after a few sharpenings.
Yes, I know about that, sometimes it reall sucks to be a lefty and I think it's part of the reason why I tend to not like Gyutos at all. At least I was't fond of any I had maybe for this exact reason.

Yes, I know about that, sometimes it reall sucks to be a lefty and I think it's part of the reason why I tend to not like Gyutos at all. At least I was't fond of any I had maybe for this exact reason.
You may be interested in trying a blade with in an inverted geometry: left side convex, right one flat, edge off-centered to the right. Masahiro and Misono make them. Both with yo-handles, I'm afraid.

Back