Help with restoring a cleaver

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ucmd

Reaction score
Help. My 8 year old is a complete knife nut and he wants to refinish/mirror polish and old Betty cleaver that I purchased. Can someone post instructs on how to polish a rusted knife. I need Amazon or ebay links if I need to purchase sandpaper. Thanks

😄

Well will post wip as we do this together

I would say get rid of the rust first with something like BKF (Bar Keepers Friend) or a rust eraser, then micromesh pads, and some Flitz or semmichrome

"Break Free" is a product I use to keep shotguns from rusting in a salt water environment. It's the only product that I've tried that works and I've tried a lot of them. It's said to work very well on rusted knives, spray on, leave overnight, steel wool. I've got an old K-bar I've got to try it on.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050GW7KU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, thinking about actually doing this. Can someone post links and instructs for micro mesh pads

note BKF I believe leaves it's own "protective" patina so if you're looking for something shiny shiny you might want to opt for something else.

Brf maybe after sanding. This thing has a fair amount crude on it. Mesh or wet dry sand paper. I'd prefer to order stuff on line. Someone give me links and instructs

Place post a pic!

Btw, what type of steel is it?
If you have a great micromotor, I'd recommend a soft brass bristle brush for knocking off steel.

More likely you're better off with a "rust eraser." I've found it to work great with a little Camelia oil as lubricant.
Plus, it'll be safe for your 8 year old to use without worrying about steel being flung in their eyes.

i am on vaca but will post ASAP. thx

Back