Hi from Canada!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imraan

Reaction score
Hi All,

New to the forums and to specialized kitchen knives in general beyond the standard Zwilling Pros and Fibroxes I used for work in a previous life.

Recently purchased a Japanese knife, discovered I didn’t get one that suited me, and in trying to figure things out I found KKF by happy accident.

Learning a lot by reading here, and thought I would officially sign up, say hi and start contributing to the community.

Looking forward to it!

Hey!

Cheers!

A Moritaka 240 Ishime K-tip... Just not getting along with it, and don't know how I convinced myself to buy it.:confused:

Last edited:
What is it that you didn't like about the knife?

The main thing is its wedging a lot, and feels a bit 'dead' when cutting. The fit and finish things I thought wouldn't bother me, bother me more than I expected after using it daily for a month. Ergonomics not working for my arthritic paws.

I had a certain idea of what I thought I wanted when I got it, which turns out wasn't right. Live and learn!

I know I can address pretty much all of my issues by thinning, easing, rehandling etc but I didn't go in expecting a project knife y'know?

I was the victim of theft a week ago, so budget is tight. Would rather sell it and move on than take the risk of investing more into something I may still not get along with down the line.

By way of contrast, a friend sent me to get a CCK (I got a 1302) a few days ago, and I'm loving it. Feels free and easy and it's very laserish, which I discover I prefer.

Sorry to hear about the theft.

Also sorry to hear that you didn't like the knife. Do we get to hlp choose the next one?

Thanks @Nemo, that's very kind, and yes absolutely! ;)

I've been busy listing it and few older knives for sale, was planning to post in the advice forum tomorrow sometime.

:) not out of the question! Any recommendations?

Unfortunately I can't recommend anything because I've never purchased a western-made art-knife before and have never used any Canadian knives. But I am aware that there are in fact a nontrivial number of Canadian knife-makers.

Offhand I can name (no idea how good they are):
Vachon Knives seems popular among reddit users in Canada.
Couteaux Deva seems to have a lot of damascus stuff going on if that's your thing.

However, since you've recently suffered the theft, I'm assuming you'd probably not be looking to get too fancy. I'll bow out here and leave this discussion to the forum's Canucks.

Thanks @Qapla'!

I'd seen Vachon before, Coteux is new to me.

Yes, post-theft I do need to keep it reasonable. :)

I'm working on a list of makers and prices for next year, and also speaking with Jon at JKI for the meantime. Leaning towards a Kochi now after a ton of research, waiting for Jon’s thoughts.

I need to spend a good period of time learning what I'm looking for in terms of blade geometry before ordering a custom. Pig Iron Forge out of the USA is top of the list for a reasonable first commission so far.

I have a few ideas, but as I learned the hard way sometimes those don't translate to reality all so well.

Cheers

Back