Hi from Germany

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi KKF. I am a collector and homecook from Germany. My interest is either collecting but also using knives i have.
I have been following the forum for a while, especially when it comes to broaden my knowledge about knives. So thank you to all the contributors that help newbies as me to understand a bit more about this hobby.
Well, i think that's it for the start. Hope to have some good conversations and share infos we have.
Thanks

Hi camochili! Welcome to this wonderful forum. Always VERY happy to see another european within the majority of knife enthusiasts from the other side of the globe.
Please, feel free to ask whatever question you have, yet I am still a newbie here, I am ready to help.

Thanks for the kind welcome.
To answer the questions: i'm from Hessia nearby Frankfurt.
Regarding the knives there are not many, but more than i use (and need ;)). Mostly japanese. Kurosaki, Hiromotos, Kono, Tsukasa, and some more...

Thanks for the kind welcome.
To answer the questions: i'm from Hessia nearby Frankfurt.
Regarding the knives there are not many, but more than i use (and need ;)). Mostly japanese. Kurosaki, Hiromotos, Kono, Tsukasa, and some more...
Looks like a nice start to your collection. I always wanted a Tsukasa. I quite like my Hyakuren by Mutsumi.

They are out there ;-)
Nice blade. Is that a true shinogi?
The answer depends on how you define things. A shinogi really refers to kataba (single bevel knives). Here the convex blade road meets the flat of the blade in a crisp line. Many wide bevel ryoba (double bevels) have convex blade roads in a similar (but two sided) arrangement. This can be described as a shinogi but the term originally applied only to single bevels.

On the Hyakuren, the wide bevels are flat (really slightly concave), so the geometry is different but there is a crisp line that corresponds to where you would find a shinogi (and many would describe as a shinogi, although it is a further step away from the true meaning).

In contradistinction, My Mazaki is ground like a convex wide bevel knife but the shoulders are rounded and do not form a crisp line. Having said that, I have polished the wide bevels differntly to the flat and it now looks as though there is a line, even though there is not.

Latest posts

Back