Hi there. I'm a new member from Canada, eh.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickw_

Reaction score
Hello from the land of maple syrup, poutine, and people who routinely get into a "Canadian standoff" over who's going to use a doorway first.

I currently have two Japanese knives, with another on the way. My other knives are those which should not be named.

My first real knife was a 210 Fujiwara maboroshi gyuto, which I've had since 2014. I just recently added a Yu Kurosaki 180mm Chuka Bocho. A petty is incoming, I can post that one later. Next up is a sujihiki or two.

I'm looking forward to expanding the collection, trying some new things, and being part of the community.

Cheers,
Nick

Attachments

• IMG_0268.jpeg
    IMG_0268.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Welcome,
looks like you are off to a great start.

It's gonna be hard to distinguish your avatar from @Luftmensch 's avatar

🤣

@nickw_; welcome fellow Magritte fan!! Hey... KKF... remember.... one of us is a photoshopped invisible man... the other is a polite apple with a bowler hat!

Nice knives @nickw_. I hope you have some stones to keep those goodies singin'!?

Thanks all, I'm glad to be here.

Welcome.

It's gonna be hard to distinguish your avatar from @Luftmensch 's avatar (just for the avoidance of doubt, this isn't a problem at all).
If it causes confusion, I can always change it to a different painting.

🤣

@nickw_; welcome fellow Magritte fan!! Hey... KKF... remember.... one of us is a photoshopped invisible man... the other is a polite apple with a bowler hat!

Nice knives @nickw. I hope you have some stones to keep those goodies singin'!?
I am a Magritte fan. Son of Man is my favourite of his, I very much see myself it in. It's almost surreal. Funny enough, my wife –unbeknownst to me– subsequently started to use La Grande Guerre as her avatar. I got a kick out of that one. :)

In terms of our avatar similarity, if you think them too similar, I could change mine to the Man in a Bowler Hat, or The Happy Donor.

As for stones, I have a few. Started with King Deluxe 1000/6000. Then started using Norton 1000/8000's while at cabinetmaking school, eventually ending up with some Japanese Naturals for the shop. But let's not tell my wife how much I paid for that green rock. At some point it would be nice to have some better stones in the house.

If the second knife you buy is a chinese cleaver, you are on the right path my friend ;)
Thanks. I've tried to aim myself squarely at the rabbit hole. ;)

With the Chuka Bocho, I was torn between it and a Watanabe 180mm Nakiri pro. I still want to try the Wat. I'm thinking of doing a 240mm sujihiki for everyday, plus a 300/330mm for larger items.

Truth be told, I like the idea of replacing the gyuto entirely (with the petty, CB and/or nakiri, plus the sujihiki). Not including some single bevels for sushi, and a collection of butcher knifes. With any luck this rabbit hole will be deep enough to reach terminal velocity.

Last edited:
Back