Hi!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdjones

Reaction score
Just dropping in to say hello. New member, but I've been following the forum for quite awhile. Hope everyone has a great year!

Welcome. Tell us about your knives and what you aspire to get

I've got 4 Shuns; 10" & 8" chef, 7" santoku, and a gokujo. I also have an 8" Middleton I bought secondhand, and a custom 9" Boothill k-tip. I'm looking to add a true J-knife to that list soon.

I have a 9" Boothill kiritsuke style chef knife, an 8" Middleton, and a few Shuns. I am currently looking for my first true J-knife; most likely in the 240mm size, can handle rocking (old habits die hard), wicked sharp and long edge retention, and under $500. I am a sous chef working lunch and dinner shifts 6 days a week, with a mix of prep and line, so I am looking for something that can perform in prep but also handle the line well when I have to reach for a knife.

I have a 9" Boothill kiritsuke style chef knife, an 8" Middleton, and a few Shuns. I am currently looking for my first true J-knife; most likely in the 240mm size, can handle rocking (old habits die hard), wicked sharp and long edge retention, and under $500. I am a sous chef working lunch and dinner shifts 6 days a week, with a mix of prep and line, so I am looking for something that can perform in prep but also handle the line well when I have to reach for a knife.

I adore how this reads as if you're going to buy one knife. This is a deeeeep rabbit hole and you're in it!

Enjoy the journey :biggrin:

I adore how this reads as if you're going to buy one knife. This is a deeeeep rabbit hole and you're in it!

Believe me, I know. A dear friend gave me three Shun knives when he saw what he described as potential; ever since then, I've been looking and buying. I've bought 4 knives since then (2 chef, 1 gokujo, 1 serrated), and I keep looking at others - separating them between what I need and what I want. But I have been wanting to purchase my first true J-knife for months now, and I think now is the perfect time. Just took a job as sous chef at a new restaurant, so I need a knife that can handle the rigors of 70 plus hours a week, without wearing down too quickly.

Back