Hiromoto AS thickness question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarrenB

Reaction score
Just reading that some of the Hiro AS knives are coming out a bit thinner, I just got a Santoku and wanted to know if this is considered thick/thin? First Japanese knife so it looks thin to me:)
hiro1_01.JPG

I am not a professional when it comes to these knives but it does not look to thick to me?

A more straight on choil shot would help alot try and get it so dead straight that you cant see the sides thats the best way for us to see the true thinness

A more straight on choil shot would help alot try and get it so dead straight that you cant see the sides thats the best way for us to see the true thinness
Bit better
hiro.JPG

Ok thanks for the replies, maybe the AS range is coming out a little thinner these days? Is the Santoku naturally a little thinner than the Gyuto that most people discuss?

How it looks isn't the whole story. How does it cut?
Hi, I don't have much to compare it to, but it cuts better than anything I have had before, effortless thorough veggies, just falls through. I was mainly asking as I was reading a lot about the having the AS thinned and maybe was expecting it to be bit thicker above the edge.

no wedging what so ever?
Not on anything I have cut so far, not tried large potatoes yet . Tomatoes, cucumber, onions, carrots, courgettes, aubergine, small potatoes all cut with no problem and little effort

awesome! I need to get me one for work prep how is the handle on that thing?

awesome! I need to get me one for work prep how is the handle on that thing?
I am just a home cook so maybe not the best idea to follow my recommendations:laugh: The handle has been fine for me, I use the pinch grip so I guess most handles would feel fine? I am going to carefully round the choil edges as they are a little too sharp, not uncomfortable but noticeable. The f&f is pretty good from my limited experience, everything nice and flush around the handle, I did ask for the best one they had in stock though:biggrin: Very pleased so far, gave up trying to decide what first knife to get by reading peoples reviews, information overload:scared4: Just took the leap and picked this one, got to just get one and go from there otherwise you just read and read and never buy one:biggrin:

good advice sir
Soooo difficult choosing your first Japanese knife.
I like to do my research before I buy things in general, but after seeing all the advice saying buy this one or that one all I did was avoid the ones that people said had obvious flaws which narrowed the field and then didn't think too long about which one to buy out of what was left. It won't be my last I don't think either:knife:

I've had a Hiro Santoku for a bit over a year. It's very thin. Thinner than my Konosuke HD gyuto.

If you like the way yours cuts, it doesn't need thinning.

Well I was going to pack it's towel and flip flops and send it to the Spa, but I am holding off for now, although I still really like the look after etching. I was more curious as to whether or not the AS range had started getting thinner straight from the maker?

I have a 190mm santoku purchased a year and a half ago. The choil looks very similar to the one posted but I was a bit disappointed by the handle: F&F were far from good (transitions between handle and metal parts simply were not smooth) and I find the handle very slim/small. The knife was a gift, otherwise I would probably have sent it back.

I have a 190mm santoku purchased a year and a half ago. The choil looks very similar to the one posted but I was a bit disappointed by the handle: F&F were far from good (transitions between handle and metal parts simply were not smooth) and I find the handle very slim/small. The knife was a gift, otherwise I would probably have sent it back.

I did hear on here that the f&f on some was not so good, all the areas that meet on the handle like the bolster and pins were perfectly flush on the one I received, not sure if it made a difference but I asked them to check the f&f before sending it to me, another good bit of advice from the forum:)

FYI - In the recent months I've seen some of the thinnest Hiromoto AS gyutos ever but also some of the thickest too, speaking of 240mm gyutos only. I can't say for santokus though, haven't seen any recently.

FYI - In the recent months I've seen some of the thinnest Hiromoto AS gyutos ever but also some of the thickest too, speaking of 240mm gyutos only. I can't say for santokus though, haven't seen any recently.

Could that be that some sellers have older/newer stock or do you know if they are coming out of the factory with random thickness? Was thinking about getting another Hiro AS so would be interesting to know.

Could that be that some sellers have older/newer stock or do you know if they are coming out of the factory with random thickness? Was thinking about getting another Hiro AS so would be interesting to know.

I should have mentioned that all the ones I've been seeing are new from Japan direct.

Also, going by the choil shots you posted I can see what looks like an in between grind, it's blade is thin but it's a tad fat directly above the edge. Neither great nor bad as Hiro AS's go. Like I said in our PM's if you like it leave it alone and enjoy it as it is.

I should have mentioned that all the ones I've been seeing are new from Japan direct.

Also, going by the choil shots you posted I can see what looks like an in between grind, it's blade is thin but it's a tad fat directly above the edge. Neither great nor bad as Hiro AS's go. Like I said in our PM's if you like it leave it alone and enjoy it as it is.

I still need to get used to what you guys call thick:eek:hmy:
I guess that comes from using knives that are more like log splitters:biggrin:

How about the 270 gyutos you've seen? Mine came recently not overly thin, but adequately grinded, very different from what I saw a few years ago.

Well I was going to pack it's towel and flip flops and send it to the Spa, but I am holding off for now, although I still really like the look after etching. I was more curious as to whether or not the AS range had started getting thinner straight from the maker?

You could try your own hot vinegar etch. It's not nearly as cool as Dave's, but it costs very little and it's fun to do. You will need to touch up your edge afterwards.

How about the 270 gyutos you've seen? Mine came recently not overly thin, but adequately grinded, very different from what I saw a few years ago.

The 270's have always been all over the place, mostly thick.

I had read on this site some complaining about Hiro handles.I have a 150 petty & 240 Gyuto handles were fine thought maybe people being over picky.

A girl fr. my class brought her new Hiro. said the handle was uncomfortable.The sharp edged tang steel is higher than the pakka wood esp. on the bottom.Looking at it sideways you can see the tang sticking out.

I felt bad since I reccom. this knife.Offered to fix it for her.The Tang is heat treated hardened steel.I know because I rehandled my Gyuto before sent it to Dave for spa.Used a solid carbide bit to widen the center hole for 5/16 Mosaic pin.

I ordered several ceramic belts for my 1" X 42" sander.If that does not work,I will knock off the handle & put on a custom.

The grind on this Hiro. seems thinner.I thinned behind the edge & kicked in a higher final bevel finishing on a Shapton pro 2K stroped on leather.It cuts fine,but not quite as well as my spa thinned Hiro.

I am a little hesitant to continue recomm. this knife,unless the buyer specifies a good handle.The handle on hers is #@&*.She got it at C*#G obviously no inspect before sending out.Should have had it returned,but too late for that as I have sharpened it already.

Back