Hiromoto White #2 honyaki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you ask me, get it. I use the gyuto and the santoku professionaly for a month now, I love them, From all of my knives, they are my favourite knives.
Dont ask me why, that feel...
Personally, if I could keep only one knife, it would be the Hiromoto Honyaki gyuto 24cm, so I am subjective.
I rounded the spine to a pinch grips length, made them mirror polished up to a degree with diamond paste, cut salmons 5-6 kg central bone with both - no problem, gyuto fell on the floor- fortunatelly no problem, once it gets some patina you see parallel waves through the length of the blade.
When you hit the blade with your finger, the sound I hear, comes only from my Hiromoto honyaki and the Sukenari honyaki, no other knife.
By far my favourite, I am thinking of getting a third gyuto and a second Sujihiki. Not sure yet.

It has pretty small hamon, at a previous thread I wrote that Master Nagao did a good job at flattening a harder blade, I had written it because I thought it logical then, after that I found a thread, that If I understood it correct Mr.John Broida, backs it up

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...-Monosteel/page3?highlight=singatirin+honyaki

post #28

Western handle, metal bolster, perfect balance for the 24cm gyuto. As you saw there is a better 'money wise' case, the western handle without bolster

Sharpens easily, gyuto has great distal taper, thin geometry, left side almost flat-if not flat.

Sujihiki has almost no distal taper, no flax at all. For different use than the gyuto. Also wider hamon.

All of these info, based on the batches that I got.

Keep in mind though, that Honyakis have limitations, they need delicate use, in order not to crack as I have read, but I cant help you, better ask someone experienced

I also rather enjoy the gyuto (as modest home user). But reviews have been a bit varied.
En the gyuto sings to me too :)

i have to add, to be fair towards the knife, that it becomes very sharp, fairly easily, it has very good edge retention by cutting meats, fishes, vegetables(avoiding acidic things and onions), feels hard, no flex at all, and doesnot loose the mirror polish I did to it by patina. It becomes colourful mirror, but not hazy. More reasons that I love it, appart from the feeling when holding it

Back