how do I get my knives to cut like it did out of the box?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm watching this post with interest. I've been planning to thin my tf denka petty after owning it for around 8 years. It's been sharpened many times but I have only recently even heard about blade thinning
Can you take a photo of your choil shot? Wondering how tick your knife will be .

Hi I'm not sure what a choil shot is but hopefully this is what it means
20200830_220310.jpg

How do I do the Convex grind? Anyone have a video link or resource?

You usually start by thinning up toward the top of the bevel (the shinogi line), then thin around the edge, then blend the two bevels a bit. You could look at the part of this video that’s about the side of the knife with the bevel:

Also, from JKI:

“The first type of sharpening is hamaguri sharpening. In doing this, the blade road is sharpened in 2 parts and then blended together. The first sharpening is from the shinogi line down about 1/2 way or 2/3 the way down the blade road. In this first sharpening, the shinogi line should be moved up the same amount of height you intend to remove from the edge of the knife. The second sharpening is of the edge and the area just behind the edge. During this sharpening, you remove metal from the edge and form a burr. The two angles of these first and second sharpening are almost the same, so the difference comes mainly from finger placement and pressure, rather than lifting up the edge. These two bevels are then blended together to create a hamaguri edge. The curvature should be very subtle.”

Edit: if your wide bevel is currently flat, you should start the hamaguri sharpening at the edge rather than at the shinogi line if you don't want to dramatically raise the shinogi line, which you probably don't.

Last edited:
The denka was my first high carbon knife. I had no sharpening skills when I bought him, my sharpening back then was a dmt angle guide, a full set of dmt plates (the heavy steel plates) I also had spyderco fine and ultra fine and a small black ark 2×8inch from Dan's. Also I had the tormek back then as well. I'm so embarrassed to say how badly I treated this knife trying to make it sharp like it was when I bought it. I am sure that from then to now the height of the blade is at least 3mm lower than what it was. This knife was a turning point for my knife journey. And began my sharpening journey. After 8 years of practising which with work was usually only weekends, it's been a slow journey. My last annual leave (holidays) we couldn't travel as everyone knows. This is when I decided to really put a lot of time into practising. And finally I think I have surpassed the learner stage :)...we were speaking about thinning. Sorry to go off topic. I tried the other day starting with #240 whetstone. I noticed that there's low spots along the edge of the blade. I started thinking about how nothing ever sticks to the sides of this knife and could these low spots have something to do with this. So I've put the project on hold until I get some advice. I'll post what I've done so far
20200901_104000.jpg
20200901_104620.jpg

Back