How do meteorite blades cut?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silky

Reaction score
I've seen some kitchen knives made of damascus that included meteorite metals in it. My understand was that meteorite was mostly iron with little carbon and had little ability to harden, so is there a reason custom makers use this other than the "wow" factor? Would damascus made from meteorite perform on par with other knives assuming the heat treat and grind are spot on?

I've used meteorite in a blade. It was really just for the story and uniqueness.

The meteorites might start out with low carbon, but it doesn't stop us from adding more in!
Either by melting it down and dissolving the carbon into it, or by carburizing the solid.

I think most of the "meteorites make super knives" theory can be traced back to Paul Wellman's Jim Bowie novel "The Iron Mistress" in the early 50's. They used the plot again in the movie of the same name and custom knife makers have been trying to cash in on it every since. Even Kramer.

Wait, what! You've made knives? Have you posted any pictures here?!? I don't read every post, but most and I can't recall seeing one brag pic from you.

Do share please!!!
Not really, and not in many years, so it is not really relevant.

I bought a Campo Del Cielo Meteorite from Northern Argentina. 94% iron & 6% nickel. Deceptively heavy. At the time wanted a good sized piece almost 30#. That was over 15 years ago they have gone up 4X in price since. Not a bad investment. Like rocks & fossils.

I guess it would be cool to have a knife made out of steel estimated to be around 4.6 billion years old.

Del Ealy has done some cool work with these as well, would be interesting to hear his experience... :D

.... steel estimated to be around 4.6 billion years old.

You got me thinking ... would imagine that all "steel" (aka heavy elements) found in this cosmic local (on or off the earth) are likely around the same 'age' ... just sayin ... but very very cool that you actually have iron from the sky ... pic please! Would be very cool to see!

I think the universe is meant to be 7 or 8 billion years old (edit: looked it up- it's 13-14 billion years).

Also I assume a lot of space dust including a lot of heavy elements from supernova explosions lands on earth so there is probably a bit of variation in the age of various heavy atoms on earth.

Earth is space rock too. Perhaps just cooled a bit slower.

You got me thinking ... would imagine that all "steel" (aka heavy elements) found in this cosmic local (on or off the earth) are likely around the same 'age' ... just sayin ... but very very cool that you actually have iron from the sky ... pic please! Would be very cool to see!

I took a picture tried to load it on Janice's laptop having problems will try to figure it out. Retrieved the receipt from yrs. ago. Mine is 9,986.04 grams around 22lbs. Paid 529.99 for it. Now a piece that size of Campo Iron Meteorite over 3,000.00.

Back