How many kitchen knives do you own?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive got 4 ”dailys” which the gf also is ok with using, and 4 japanese knives that only i use ☺️

I am with you on all the hype but probably on a different plane. I just want a large knife that is sharp and will cut my tomatoes well that I don't have to worry about. It also needs to fit my hand, so handles are big thing with me.

It sounds simple on paper but then there are all the special knives. So, I keep around 30 active knives.

Do folders count I almost doubled my #
In 2022
IMG_20230224_224954613.jpg

Pick the Spyderco in K390 that looks like a good fit for you. Thank me after. :p
I was looking at the Para3 m390 from Bento Box, but wondered if the linear lock might be problematic for a lefty like me. Others looked at are Benchmade 940, etc. Also why’re Chris Reeves knives always outta stock, are they that good?

I was looking at the Para3 m390 from Bento Box, but wondered if the linear lock might be problematic for a lefty like me. Others looked at are Benchmade 940, etc. Also why’re Chris Reeves knives always outta stock, are they that good?

While people rave about them, I'm honestly not a huge fan of the compression lock. It's alright and it does keep your fingers out of the knife path, I've just never warmed up to them all that much. That said, I very much do not like Benchmade's Axis lock. Too loose and the tiny springs are prone to breakage. I'm not a Benchmade fan anyway though so that's fine for me. Now, I do love the Caged Ball Bearing Lock on Spyderco's Manix line and the LW's are among my favorite knives.

Chris Reeve's knives are very sought after, as much for the real quality as the FOMO hype. I've tried a lot of stuff over the years but I've circled back to a simple mid-back lock in a great steel (Endela in K390).

While people rave about them, I'm honestly not a huge fan of the compression lock. It's alright and it does keep your fingers out of the knife path, I've just never warmed up to them all that much. That said, I very much do not like Benchmade's Axis lock. Too loose and the tiny springs are prone to breakage. I'm not a Benchmade fan anyway though so that's fine for me. Now, I do love the Caged Ball Bearing Lock on Spyderco's Manix line and the LW's are among my favorite knives.

Chris Reeve's knives are very sought after, as much for the real quality as the FOMO hype. I've tried a lot of stuff over the years but I've circled back to a simple mid-back lock in a great steel (Endela in K390).
Cheers! Really appreciate your insight. Admittedly, I'm an EDC newbie—not had a pocket knife since TSA seized my beloved Swiss Army Knife I'd forgotten that was in my carry on—it was an immensely painful loss, the knife was a 16th birthday present that I'd taken everywhere.
Dig the distinctive look of Spyderco, but man they have a zillion different models to chose from!

Cheers! Really appreciate your insight. Admittedly, I'm an EDC newbie—not had a pocket knife since TSA seized my beloved Swiss Army Knife I'd forgotten that was in my carry on—it was an immensely painful loss, the knife was a 16th birthday present that I'd taken everywhere.
Dig the distinctive look of Spyderco, but man they have a zillion different models to chose from!

If you like a smaller knife, the Dragonfly 2 is really hard to beat.

Being in NY, you may require a slip joint. The UKPK is an excellent option.

Impressive! Been wanting/needing an EDC for the longest time, looking at a few.
B
Impressive! Been wanting/needing an EDC for the longest time, looking at a few.
The Para 2 jungle green scales M4 steel been using on hikes with group of avid hikers. We have even been doing summit trails. I wash & dry it when get home it says semi stainless that's for sure starting to stain already as long as not rust I'm good really like this knife. Haven't even sharpened it yet. Had a nice edge OOTB. It has the liner lock my old CPM S30V has same it's worked well with tons of use.

The Endela K390 is a nice blade too. Haven't sharpened it either but from what I have read
You need diamonds to put an edge on it.
I'm set in that area😁 It has back compression. I like both only time prefer the back is easier when wearing gloves.

Kitchen knives only … honestly I haven’t counted, and they are spread out around the house so it’s a little difficult. Let’s just say somewhere around 50 or so. Add at least 10 kiridashi and around 8 folders.

Yeah, I may have a problem, but it’s taken nearly 10 years to accumulate this many, and I’ve really slowed down … a lot!

12-15 kitchen knives, 20 if you count Jnat polishing knife practice bantha fodder.

With an ever haunting or lurking "+1" (the yin) that may be incoming.

Which is usually mitigated by a "-1" (the yang) in the form of a gift to a friend/family member who unexpected receives a nice knife they would never otherwise buy.

Im curious, how many of members keep detailed information about their knife collection that they be willing to share?

I started using a spreadsheet primarily because I would forget details about the knife (such as wood type for the handle). After reading this thread I took a look at the numbers and I was surprised at what I found (excluding beaters which I don’t track).

Current collection:
Total #: 16
Avg cost: $899
Max: $1535
Min: $540
Total cost: $14.3k

Sold:
Total #: 36
Avg cost: $567
Max: $1700
Min: $115
Total cost: $20.4k

Recently I’ve made a move to reduce the overall number of knives and focus on landing/keeping what I consider the “best” of my collection or personal favorites. Not to knock overall quantity but I didn’t find joy in having knives I knew I wouldn’t reach for so I made that change. Also I don’t mean to imply you need to spend a lot of money to find a knife you love, tbh I wasn’t really aware how much I spent until looking at the numbers for this post.

I keep a spreadsheet, very similar to yours in fact.

However, I won't be your huckleberry and post my stats because I love my sanity.

And sometimes if you speak things aloud the only logical next step is:

action drinking day drinking alec Baldwin 2.gif

So, I choose fun... Lol.

Last edited:
Do folders count I almost doubled my #
In 2022
View attachment 227649
I greatly enjoy Spyderco but dislike FRN scales and prefer G10. Funny thing is my first and currently only 2 I bought in FRN because of

1. Cost
2. Availability
3. Ignorance

My life is full of rookie mistakes made out of impatience and enthusiasm 🤣

I have heard mixed feelings about the Para 3 for lefties and I do believe the compression lock is easier for right hand use since your thumb keeps the handle stable when engaging the lock where on your left hand you are relying on the tension of your thumb against the lock mechanism to press against your fingers using a pinch grip so I can see how it could be troublesome.

I tested out a Benchmade Bugout Mini and think they are awesome and truly ambidextrous but don't have any experience with them as far as use and failures.

The Manix 2 might be a better choice for a lefty. Also Button Locks are also very left hand friendly. I have a button lock and find that I can easily manipulate it with both hands similar to the Spyderco Manix.

Last edited:
In the hobby for 4 years now and at this point only 2 knives, which I consider quite reasonable especially after more than 2 years on kkf with all those BST baits 😱.

6 - 240mm gyuto
1 - 260mm gyuto
2 - 225mm gyuto
1 - 240mm suji
1 - 135mm honesuki
1 - 120mm petty
1 - 90mm paring
1 - 165mm deba
1 - 165mm nakiri
1 - bone chopper

And
1 - santoku wife's knife

Jokes asides, I can clearly see where to thin the hord, but it's becoming harder and harder to let some go...
Still looking for a 180 rectangle that will suit my taste though

Back