How much bend is normal/acceptable on gyuto?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got this 210mm Tanaka blue gyuto. It feels nice for the price. It has a very, very slight bend to the blade, which I've read is somewhat common especially on these less expensive Tanakas. So my question is, how much bend is normal and acceptable?

IMG_5073.JPG

Is it the angle of this pick or does it look thicker than normal?

From the picture I can't conclude whether it's a bend or the distal taper, the spine being thinner at the tip than above the heel.

Pic is definitely exaggerating it. Spine is on the thicker side but not as huge as it appears. So the edge looks pretty good. Maybe a super slight bend near the tip. Perhaps I'm being anal as I'm only specifically checking this knife and never any of my others!

IMG_5076.JPG

I'd be very interested to hear what others have to say on this issue as I just bought a Yu Kurosaki and it is about this curved. I have a feeling it'll take me at least a few months to see how much effect this has on overall performance. My Itinomonn is absolutely perfectly straight so I am pretty concerned but perhaps others have found that a bend such as this is no big deal.

Jon and Korin have posted that carbon knives will inevitably become not 100% straight over time, and makers check for straightness by sight, not necessarily as nitpicky as we are. I'm assuming that's the case with this knife but wanted to ask. Otherwise I'm really impressed with it. Handle is great, despite many bad things I've read and the spine is eased. Choil a little rough, but not as bad as I was expected.

Lol that's very minor mine came with a much worse bend in it and it still cut fine after a little bend back still not completely straight but cuts fine.

Back