How would you go around in fixing this knife/handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ombolo

Reaction score
Already some years ago I received this Yoshikane petty with a crooked handle. Unfortunately the epic vendor send me this to Europe and considering the shipping costs I did not return it.

From the start there was immediate disconnection with this knife. It just looked wrong and I never got to use it much :( It's a pitty as I know that Yoshikane knives are pretty good...
I did perhaps cut a few onions and some salami, but unfortunately it is just hidden away in my drawer, I did not even put it on the knife block.

Would you be so nice to give me some pointers on how to fix this handle alignment by my self at home.

Thanks

cutter_zpslvhiiqul.jpg

If the handle is burned on and you can get it off easily maybe you can do some material removal on the inside of the handle, or the tang, to change the angle and then glue it back together. That is what i would do.

I don't like the handle's orientation, but I guess you may get used to it very quickly. Use it for two weeks or so for ALL your home tasks, even when a petty seems not the most evident choice.

If the handle is burned on and you can get it off easily maybe you can do some material removal on the inside of the handle, or the tang, to change the angle and then glue it back together. That is what i would do.

I agree. Use needle files to modify the handle. Here's a video on removing handles that have been burnt in.
[video=youtube;AFTkCmPnIN8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZajZh8aps6Q[/video]

I do not know if the handle is glued or burnt... I need to check, unfortunately I do not have the knife with me at the moment.

Perhaps I will really try removing the handle and filing it a bit...

@Benuser: it's not so much the problem in how the knife sits in the hand, especially as it is short petty. This part I can manage. It's the looks, it is just turning me off, like a crooked dick :(

The knife has been burnt in wrong. Needs to be rehandled.

A few ways to fix this, you can take it off like the video posted but if glue or binding agent has been applied. Not going to work. The glue will need to be melted in order to loosen it up.

This can be tricky as you don't want to heat the blade to much and ruin the steel. Easiest way is if you don't particularly care for that handle is to just mash it off and put a new handle on.

It still might go in crooked if the tang is curved slightly wrong. You will need to fix that curve with a hammer before burning it in.

The knife has been burnt in wrong. Needs to be rehandled.

A few ways to fix this, you can take it off like the video posted but if glue or binding agent has been applied. Not going to work. The glue will need to be melted in order to loosen it up.

This can be tricky as you don't want to heat the blade to much and ruin the steel. Easiest way is if you don't particularly care for that handle is to just mash it off and put a new handle on.

It still might go in crooked if the tang is curved slightly wrong. You will need to fix that curve with a hammer before burning it in.

Hot Damn! Osakajoe is 2 for 2 in my 2 threads read so far.
I would add that a new handle can be had for cheap and is very easy to affix. Good luck.

Back