Howdy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy!

I’m Kayla from Texas. I am upping my cooking game and find that the right tools are much more satisfying to cook with than the cliche “glass of wine” that so many people talk about.

I inherited a set of “coveted” Wustofs, upgraded to a Myabi chef knife, and began consider that there may be better options out there than William Sonoma’s finest.

I love onions, veggies, beef cuts, and of course weeknight chicken go-to meals. Can’t wait to learn more about knives, see how people are using them to make wonderfully tasty meals, and grow my comfort zone.

Welcome.

Once you get into a couple (dozen?) knives that are sharp, and thin behind the edge, you'll be cutting up onions just for fun.....

Hi Kayla,

William Sonoma's finest are not a bad place to start--though I find affordable Shun Kaji, Fuji, Hikari, and Wusthof Classic Ikons elsewhere as often as not. Enthusiasts here reveal alternative experiences and kitchen knives that occasionally are even affordable for a home cook like me.

Welcome.

Once you get into a couple (dozen?) knives that are sharp, and thin behind the edge, you'll be cutting up onions just for fun.....
That is the goal! Something like this, but hopefully a better pinch grip.

Attachments

• IMG_5530.png
    IMG_5530.png
    595.7 KB · Views: 0
Hi Kayla,

William Sonoma's finest are not a bad place to start--though I find affordable Shun Kaji, Fuji, Hikari, and Wusthof Classic Ikons elsewhere as often as not. Enthusiasts here reveal alternative experiences and kitchen knives that occasionally are even affordable for a home cook like me.
Very true! Just hoping I can get a little bit better bang for my buck. Honestly, I was afraid of the Miyabi birchwood. After spending so much $$$ on it + being my first Japanese knife, I was afraid to sharpen it and mess it up.

Until it finally underwent a terrible, tragic accident at the hands of an unnamed family member. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I decided maybe I don’t need an intricate Rose Damascus pattern on my next knife, but it did show me that Wustoff is not the end all be all of the kitchen!

Back