Appetizer Hummus

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soaking the garlic in the lemon juice prevents the garlic from creating alicin (due to the acidic environment) but keeps the garlic flavor. I would recommend doing that if you dont like the harshness of raw garlic.

I love homemade hummus but never tried to cook it by myself :D
I usually eat hummus with sweet carrots as a movie-time snack.

Boiling the hummus in baking soda helps to remove the skins. Removing the skins helps the texture of the final peoduct be more smooth. I typically do, but honestly its personal preference.

i have before, it makes it very silky but there's added labor. I also add some baking soda to the water when cooking canned chickpeas (they usually aren't soft enough) which helps them break down and leads to a nicer end product imo

In my experience, the texture of Hummus (and many other purees) is often not smooth enough because of the too little water content in the food processor.

I've never bothered removing the skin from the chick peas, simply because it's more work than I'm willing to do. I have no doubt though that, without the skins, the hummus will have a smoother texture.

I like to keep it in the fridge for a day or two. That makes the flavours blend more, and also improves the texture as the moisture makes its way more evenly throughout the chick peas. I also found that, over time, the mixture becomes more firm. When first blending everything and adjusting water content, I tend to err on the slightly runny side; a day or two later, all the water gets absorbed and the texture is just right, without being too firm.

I just checked the recipe I had, and it's identical to the one @Michi posted, but without mixing details. I always used the chickpeas warm/hot. The one time I tried in a (heavy duty kitchen-aid) blender, it broke the plastic base, which they don't make any more. I have been using an old Champion juicer (using the solid plastic, not the juicer screen). The result is on the course side. Maybe I can use the blender again with more water, since it does thicken after a day or two. Maybe base water amount on "just enough to keep the blender turning over the mixture", and not an exact recipe amount.

I know this isn’t fast by any stretch of the imagination, but if you’re looking for a long form version of hummus, this is the best recipe that I have found that I keep coming back to. My wife loves the roasted beetroot hummus variant (see page 3) which gets made most at our house. The texture is a big thing for me, and I didn’t “get it” with hummus until I tasted a hummus at Lomah (restaurant in Melbourne) when I had my “ah ha” moment, and I started a quest to master the humble hummus.
I’m enjoying Achva organic tahini from Israel for my hummus at the moment.
Interesting side note - if you ever wondered about the conversion rate of dried chickpeas to canned chickpeas see the top of page 1 below.

Recipe source: Nellie Kerrison aka Relish Mama (southern suburbs of Melbourne)

Page 1:
IMG_0554.jpeg

Page 2:
IMG_0555.jpeg

Page 3:
IMG_0556.jpeg

Anyone making their own Amba?

Latest posts

Back