Hurricane Ian

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoping our kkf friends down there are safe and stay that way.

Watching nbc news talk about Ian and advising people when they need to "get to that interior room" to ride out the storm. I'd rather be in an interior state... I think I would have hightailed it outta there if it was me.

Whenever a big storm comes ashore I think of what folks must have experienced before the age of information, evacuations, TV and radio even. Zora Neale Hurston captured it well with her passage:
"The wind came back with triple fury, and put out the light for the last time. They sat in company with the others in other shanties, their eyes straining against crude walls and their souls asking if He meant to measure their puny might against His. They seemed to be staring at the dark, but their eyes were watching God."

I'm in Naples, south of Ft. Myers and Cape Coral. Boarded up the windows last night after work and I'm glad I did it when I did. Just went out for a walk outside. Still blowing hard, gusts maybe ~50mph? I could stand and walk with no prob. Power still on and only one very large branch down that I saw. No torrential rain other than for a minute or two, just little to moderate downfall, on and off. So far so good.

I'm in Naples, south of Ft. Myers and Cape Coral. Boarded up the windows last night after work and I'm glad I did it when I did. Just went out for a walk outside. Still blowing hard, gusts maybe ~50mph? I could stand and walk with no prob. Power still on and only one very large branch down that I saw. No torrential rain other than for a minute or two, just little to moderate downfall, on and off. So far so good.
Just in case, put all of your carbon knifes in a sealed container...

Only half joking -- best of luck with the storm! We've stayed at a friend's house in Captiva a couple times and the civil engineer in me would always take over my brain and say "Geeze, I can't imagine what would happen if a hurricane hit this place"

To all of our members who might be impacted, like @daveb, be safe and I'm wishing you all the best.

I was part of the Andrew relief effort and will never forget it.
You were there I remember Andrew well 1992. Saw on news houses flattened to foundations. Cat 5 just leveled wood frame houses. Shorty after Iniki was barreling down on Kauai Cat 4. Like Dade country in Florida most houses light wood frame. People saw what happened in Florida & headed for shelters. Damage on Kauai was
huge rain caused flooding on a mountain island. Little loss of life though.

You were there I remember Andrew well 1992. Saw on news houses flattened to foundations. Cat 5 just leveled wood frame houses. Shorty after Iniki was barreling down on Kauai Cat 4. Like Dade country in Florida most houses light wood frame. People saw what happened in Florida & headed for shelters. Damage on Kauai was
huge rain caused flooding on a mountain island. Little loss of life though.

Yes sir. USAF Security Police, deployed a few days after. It was insane and the amount of devastation was indescribable. In that one it was the sustained winds that really wreaked havoc.

May everyone have the best outcome possible as the sun rises over Florida this morning.

Back