If I gave you $500 which knife are you getting?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not need another knife ... but a custom made 180 single bevel petty from some of the Japanese makers via JKI could still be squeezed in :D

Those watanabe stainless clad do look mighty fine. If you decide to let the thicket of your two go, let me know.

Comparable to a Kato, and my Watanabe cuts at least as well.

Wow - a lot has changed in 5 years as far as price and availability goes. Interesting that I was searching for information about a Stainless Clad Watanabe Gyuto and it has been mentioned that they will go out of stock in the future. Well it's five years later and he still has a few on his web site - tempting!

Wow - a lot has changed in 5 years as far as price and availability goes. Interesting that I was searching for information about a Stainless Clad Watanabe Gyuto and it has been mentioned that they will go out of stock in the future. Well it's five years later and he still has a few on his web site - tempting!

You missed a lot, I guess! He was only(?) selling iron clad for a while, but then recently made the switch to only stainless clad. A few months ago now?

What’s hilarious to me is how much prices have changed. (Or maybe the replies were fanciful to begin with?) This thread was supposed to be about what you’d do with $500, right? Lots of the replies are like

Shig
Kato
Catcheside monosteel
Tilman Leder

Good luck finding any of these for $500.

You missed a lot, I guess! He was only(?) selling iron clad for a while, but then recently made the switch to only stainless clad. A few months ago now?

What’s hilarious to me is how much prices have changed. (Or maybe the replies were fanciful to begin with?) This thread was supposed to be about what you’d do with $500, right? Lots of the replies are like

Shig
Kato
Catcheside monosteel
Tilman Leder

Good luck finding any of these for $500.

I was lucky to pick up a 210 Kato Workhorse at JNS for close to the $500 a "few years back" and a Shig Santoku (only shig I could find at a "reasonable" price). Then I discovered the Honyaki made knives yikes! I was lucky enough to pre pay for a 240 Kato years ago and managed to get it (not the Kasumi knife but a very nice KU) and the dealer let me have it for the pre-paid price ;-)

What's cool about this thread now is that even though what used to be $500 isn't anymore (shige, kato, ...), now if this was a $250 thread, there'd be a wealth of options that weren't around when katos and shigs were cheap. So, there's some balance there...

As long as we’re making wishes.... it’s all a tossup for me.

Watanabe pro 180 nakiri, but with a burnt chestnut d-handle and horn ferrule and with a polished surface instead of the terrible kurouchi.

watanabe or toyama 150 petty, polished again

a yoshikazu tanaka 240

that toyama honesuki from bst

maybe a gesshin ittetsu 240

Ittetsu single bevel 180 petty or shigehiro 180 petty.

i want them all. :(

Watanabe pro 180 nakiri, but with a burnt chestnut d-handle and horn ferrule and with a polished surface instead of the terrible kurouchi.

a yoshikazu tanaka 240

I have two (one went to the granddaughter) Wat 180 Pro nakiri's KU and the finish on those is pretty stable and uniform. If I get a 240 Wat B#2 Stainless Clad Gyuto it will be a smooth finish though. I do have a JNS Toyama 150 Petty polished and it's a great knife.

Reactions: ian
There one on eBay right now for $500 so you wouldn’t even have to

A Custom Gyuto from JJ Tritz or Isasmedjan or a rather short kensaki Yanagiba from a good sakai maker...

a yoshikazu tanaka 240

oh, I forgot: a 180 or 195 mm denka!

dont most of these cost over 500? is martell really sub 500? thats cool
knives id buy right now under 500:
Lew griffin
Heldqvistmide
Isasmedjan
Joel Adler
The Nine

of course none could be obtained immediately, just purchased

Back