If you can only choose ONE blacksmith/hamono/maker/brand ....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is the Mizuno Tanrenjo Honyaki 240mm. Has a D handle with blond horn in the picture. Since I will put my own handle on it he said that I could buy just the blade without handle. Like the profile of the Mizuno & the choil shot he sent looks like a great grind to me. 954.00 probably around same price without handle I would imagine. I have had two Honyaki blades of coarse the Takagi rehandled & major thinning almost sold it once. It is still one of the best hunks of steel I own. The Singratin (not sure of spelling) I bought off BST years ago never used or sharpened. It had a burnt chestnut handle. Used for a while made me appreciate the handle, It felt like a solid piece of steel could not see the Hamon on it. I sold it to a good friend who is a banquet chef. He loves that knife. Honyaki's are not just for show if you want to cut with the best tool in your cooking trade who can argue with that.

Almost a grand the most I have ever spent on a knife. I love carbon steel this would probably be the best knife I will ever own. Was trying to find a really nice Damascus for a show knife to wow the students to replace the Dave Martell spa Hiromoto used as pass around. Had several offers to buy it resisted at first, finally gave in. I'm sure there are some nice Damascus knives more looked could not decide. This will be a good wow knife with a nice handle. It will not be used as a pass around.

It is the Mizuno Tanrenjo Honyaki 240mm. Has a D handle with blond horn in the picture. Since I will put my own handle on it he said that I could buy just the blade without handle. Like the profile of the Mizuno & the choil shot he sent looks like a great grind to me. 954.00 probably around same price without handle I would imagine. I have had two Honyaki blades of coarse the Takagi rehandled & major thinning almost sold it once. It is still one of the best hunks of steel I own. The Singratin (not sure of spelling) I bought off BST years ago never used or sharpened. It had a burnt chestnut handle. Used for a while made me appreciate the handle, It felt like a solid piece of steel could not see the Hamon on it. I sold it to a good friend who is a banquet chef. He loves that knife. Honyaki's are not just for show if you want to cut with the best tool in your cooking trade who can argue with that.

Almost a grand the most I have ever spent on a knife. I love carbon steel this would probably be the best knife I will ever own. Was trying to find a really nice Damascus for a show knife to wow the students to replace the Dave Martell spa Hiromoto used as pass around. Had several offers to buy it resisted at first, finally gave in. I'm sure there are some nice Damascus knives more looked could not decide. This will be a good wow knife with a nice handle. It will not be used as a pass around.
the white steel one? you will love it, it's seriously the best overall knife i've ever had. only issue i had with it was that it ran short.

Yes it is the white steel. Was looking at some nice Damascus at around 500.00- 800.00$ just could not get excited about like a primo Honyaki Wt. #2 with a killer Hamon.

The title is also missing sharpener or grinder. Very important skill that most people ignore or gloss over and the most talked about skill when people describe their knives.

I’ll add elder Hide-san to the list for single bevel sharpeners.
I mention this problem in post # 1, and I agree its largely overlooked

"I know this is a very hard question, as some knives are forged and ground and finished by different people. But if you had to choose ONE maker, who would you pick and why?" From post #1

Back