Inexpensive Aogami Super Petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimfoto

Reaction score
I'm looking for an inexpensive aogami super petty to give to my children for Christmas. I have a few Shinko Seilan's and really like them. I gave one to my daughter and she loves it. Knives and Stones is out of stock though. I've seen Akifusa's and Yamamoto's from Cleancut, a Yoshimitsu from Knifejapan, and a Yoshihiro from Burffection. I suspect most Japanese aogami super petty's will be fine but was wondering if anyone here has an opinion on one over the other.

I have an Akifusa AS gyuto and it is nice.

Tsunehisa is made by the same OEM as Akifusa. Might be a touch thicker but would make a nice, inexpensive gift.

If you go to Tokoshu they offer a KKF15 discount too. SRS-13 is a powdered stainless that would be excellent but obviously more expensive.

If iron clad is okay, the Okahide Kitchen Mini on Knife Japan is nice. I think it's aogami 1 though.

Posting since I just went down the rabbit hole a little bit on Yamamoto and found encouraging feedback. Overall price/performance seems good and he's a well respected smith.

I have an Akifusa AS gyuto and it is nice.

Tsunehisa is made by the same OEM as Akifusa. Might be a touch thicker but would make a nice, inexpensive gift.

If you go to Tokoshu they offer a KKF15 discount too. SRS-13 is a powdered stainless that would be excellent but obviously more expensive.

If iron clad is okay, the Okahide Kitchen Mini on Knife Japan is nice. I think it's aogami 1 though.
I saw a Tsunehisa AS Migaki Petty 135mm clad in stainless at Carbon Knife Co. It seems to hit all the points plus it's stainless clad and has good reviews.

I saw a Tsunehisa AS Migaki Petty 135mm clad in stainless at Carbon Knife Co. It seems to hit all the points plus it's stainless clad and has good reviews.

CKC are good folks and I've certainly bought from them.

But, you can find the same or very similar knives in various places. I'll again toss out Tokushu due to their forum sponsorship and the related discount:
https://tokushuknife.com/search?q=tsunehisa petty*

Posting since I just went down the rabbit hole a little bit on Yamamoto and found encouraging feedback. Overall price/performance seems good and he's a well respected smith.
I'm looking at a Yamamoto AS petty at Cleancut. I've not converted the Euros to dollars and seen about shipping to the US.

CKC are good folks and I've certainly bought from them.

But, you can find the same or very similar knives in various places. I'll again toss out Tokushu due to their forum sponsorship and the related discount:
https://tokushuknife.com/search?q=tsunehisa petty*
They've got 2 AS petty's. The one in stock is 150mm. I thought it was ironclad because of the finish but see now that it's stainless. The one out of stock at 135mm is actually the size I'd prefer. I need to measure mine again and see how it compares. I'm new here but it's good to see you're promoting the forum sponsors!

My petty is 150mm which is a good size. I went ahead and ordered 2 Tsunehisa Aogami Super Kurouchi Tsuchime Petty 150mm. Pretty sure my kids will be thrilled as they're both avid cooks that appreciate good equipment and neither owns a petty knife. Thanks for your guidance!

Last edited:
I'm looking at a Yamamoto AS petty at Cleancut. I've not converted the Euros to dollars and seen about shipping to the US.
If you're in the US, it looks like epic edge has them. They're Asai branded (Yamamoto apprenticed under Asai and was given rights to the brand after Masami passed). I believe it's the same knife and line.

https://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=93361&bc=no

Why so specifically aogami shper? Seems a bit weird to specifically select a petty based on steel type alone.

Why so specifically aogami shper? Seems a bit weird to specifically select a petty based on steel type alone.
I've bought a few AS knives and like the sharpness and edge retention on them. I've never chipped one either. I'm just sticking with something I know is good. Is there any reason to not buy an Aogami Super knife?

No reason not to, AS is fantastic steel. For ME, I like a petty in stainless just because I tend to do a lot of citrus with it and I struggle given carbon steel as gifts unless I know they can take care of knives. If your looking for tsunhisa like I saw above you could expand your search to include Harukuze which is the same maker as well. I had a nakiri in their AS Marado and loved it.

No reason not to, AS is fantastic steel. For ME, I like a petty in stainless just because I tend to do a lot of citrus with it and I struggle given carbon steel as gifts unless I know they can take care of knives. If your looking for tsunhisa like I saw above you could expand your search to include Harukuze which is the same maker as well. I had a nakiri in their AS Marado and loved it.
Yeah similar reasoning here; petties often see a lot of citrussy use here, or get used 'on the side'... so I always tend to favor stainless for them, especially if it was for strangers.
I guess the biggest challenge is 'inexpensive'. What's the budget per knife?

This line looks really appealing although I would go for the 150mm over the 120mm as it offers a little more utility on the board. Obviously if its a knife to be used for hand work then the 120 is probably easier to control.
The 150mm petty is very nice and most appealing after the core has turned black. The handle is narrow, though.

Was just looking for a small knife for my daughter:

erbjudanden och kampanjer

reckon the Kajibei santuko's look the part or there is a Munetoshi "Allkniv" @12cm - that's a petty right? ;)

Also, the SEK is cheap at the moment.

Cheers.
Obvs personal preference but I find Yo handles are a better option for petties.

The 150mm petty is very nice and most appealing after the core has turned black. The handle is narrow, though.

I love the look of a black edge on stainless-clad, especially if there’s some ku up top.

Anyway, I can recommend the JCK blue moon (or whatever the exact name is) in VG10. That’s our go-to petty. It’s a 135 and sits right next to my Y Kato AS 150 stainless-clad petty. However the stainless gets grabbed 10x as much because, well, stainless. I tend to grab a petty that size when I’m in a hurry and in the middle of something, so I don’t want to take the time and immediately wash and wipe dry, so stainless usually wins. Both were in the $130 price range (after discount on the Kato).

The JCK blue moon is very likely the same manufacturer as Tsunehisa mentioned upthread. F&F wasn’t the greatest - it can always be a bit hit or miss with full tang knives. I took about 15 mins to sand the tang and scales flush and now it’s fine.

If you're in the US, it looks like epic edge has them. They're Asai branded (Yamamoto apprenticed under Asai and was given rights to the brand after Masami passed). I believe it's the same knife and line.

https://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=93361&bc=no
Man, they're usually more competitive with their pricing. You can get this line cheaper elsewhere. I found this site Akifusa Aogami Super – Petty 135mm, Kurouchi Tsuchime finish

And they have the gyutos from that line (and petties) very competitively priced. I almost got one.

I love the look of a black edge on stainless-clad, especially if there’s some ku up top.

Anyway, I can recommend the JCK blue moon (or whatever the exact name is) in VG10. That’s our go-to petty. It’s a 135 and sits right next to my Y Kato AS 150 stainless-clad petty. However the stainless gets grabbed 10x as much because, well, stainless. I tend to grab a petty that size when I’m in a hurry and in the middle of something, so I don’t want to take the time and immediately wash and wipe dry, so stainless usually wins. Both were in the $130 price range (after discount on the Kato).

The JCK blue moon is very likely the same manufacturer as Tsunehisa mentioned upthread. F&F wasn’t the greatest - it can always be a bit hit or miss with full tang knives. I took about 15 mins to sand the tang and scales flush and now it’s fine.
I think you're mixing things up a bit?
Blue Moon series is stainless clad blue 2 made by Tadafusa, not by Hokiyama (who seem to be the OEM for most Tsunehisa stuff).
Maybe you're referring to Deep Impact series? But that one is stainless clad aogami super, but there's no indication of who the maker is, and I wouldn't necessarily assume it's Hokiyama.

I think you're mixing things up a bit?
Blue Moon series is stainless clad blue 2 made by Tadafusa, not by Hokiyama (who seem to be the OEM for most Tsunehisa stuff).
Maybe you're referring to Deep Impact series? But that one is stainless clad aogami super, but there's no indication of who the maker is, and I wouldn't necessarily assume it's Hokiyama.

Maybe? It’s this guy, from the “Blue Clouds” series. It’s been a few years and JCK has a lot of those OEM series so I tend to get the names mixed up. Super handy little no-nonsense beater for only $117.
https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...-vg-10-tsuchime-damascus-petty-135mm-5-3-inch

Aaah yeah Blue Clouds. Yeah that's very different from the Blue Moon (which has also been a budget favorite here over the years).
I have no clue who makes them, but they sort of resemble the 'brown handled pakka wood tsuchime' you also see under 300 different names (JCK sells it as Gecko). I wouldn't necessarily rule out Hokiyama but it could also just as easily be any of a dozen other manufacturers.
I definitly like the color though... at least it looks different from the usual black pakkawood fare.

How is the grind / sharpening? I once gave my girlfriend one of those other super-cheap entry level wa-petties but I can't say I was all that enthusiastic about the grind and sharpening; thick behind the edge and feels almost like sharpening cheap Chinese VG10. :(
That was this one: JCK Natures Inazuma Series IN-1 Wa Petty 150mm (5.9 inch)
It's not terrible - the girlfriend loves it because she doesn't know any better - but everytime I get it back for sharpening I can't escape the thought I should have spent a bit more.

Aaah yeah Blue Clouds. Yeah that's very different from the Blue Moon (which has also been a budget favorite here over the years).
I have no clue who makes them, but they sort of resemble the 'brown handled pakka wood tsuchime' you also see under 300 different names (JCK sells it as Gecko). I wouldn't necessarily rule out Hokiyama but it could also just as easily be any of a dozen other manufacturers.
I definitly like the color though... at least it looks different from the usual black pakkawood fare.

How is the grind / sharpening? I once gave my girlfriend one of those other super-cheap entry level wa-petties but I can't say I was all that enthusiastic about the grind and sharpening; thick behind the edge and feels almost like sharpening cheap Chinese VG10. :(
That was this one: JCK Natures Inazuma Series IN-1 Wa Petty 150mm (5.9 inch)
It's not terrible - the girlfriend loves it because she doesn't know any better - but everytime I get it back for sharpening I can't escape the thought I should have spent a bit more.

Sharpening is typical VG10 and goes quickly since it’s so small. I don’t fret about it much since it has the usual vg10 characteristic of losing the super-sharp edge very quickly but remaining usefully sharp for ages.

Grind is probably mid weight, reasonably robust. My wife uses it for everything from apples to watermelons and is perfectly happy with it, so a robust profile is perfect for the use case. I have a slightly larger Y Kato petty that’s really thin that would probably have gotten bent or broken by now if I my wife was using it the same way.

This line looks really appealing although I would go for the 150mm over the 120mm as it offers a little more utility on the board. Obviously if its a knife to be used for hand work then the 120 is probably easier to control.
I do not recommend the Deep Impact petty for board work, they are baby sujihiki style and mean working over the edge of your counter as the clearance is too small.

I do not recommend the Deep Impact petty for board work, they are baby sujihiki style and mean working over the edge of your counter as the clearance is too small.
Good point. Hadn't considered the height. Pics can be deceptive.

I honestly never really had a problem using low petties on a board. But I can understand how some people might not like it. You just have to hold it a bit differently... or put your product closer to the edge. I bet @stringer has a video somewhere demonstrating it!
I really only found it a problem on rimmed plate; I have some wooden plates and petties make generally make decent cheese knives, but the combination of low height plus plate rim is suboptimal.

Back