Is my R2 Koutestu "shibata method" sharpened?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourmations

Reaction score
Hi

So I noticed a couple of youtube videos talking about takayuki Shibatas sharpening method (knifewear and Never a dull moment) where he does an 800 on one dude side and a high grit stone on the other, would that be the way my R2 gyuto came ootb? Just curious, thanks

I’ve heard the same, but honestly I recall not being very impressed with the OOTB edge on my Shibata koutetsou. It was decent, but not really noteworthy. About a 7/10 on my personal scale - I think I put a fresh edge on mine after the first use.

If you’re comfortable with sharpening, I wouldn’t assign any particular significance to the OOTB edge.

thanks for the feedback all but the question still applies...
do you reckon that my r2 is sharpened that way?

i emailed shibata a few days ago but no reply

cheers

cheers
I would say probably? Curious why it matters to you? As stated before, OOTB edge should be of little concern as you are going to sharpen it eventually anyway.

cheers

Stick it under a magnifying glass or loupe and have a look. Should be pretty easy to tell from the scratch pattern.

I would say probably? Curious why it matters to you? As stated before, OOTB edge should be of little concern as you are going to sharpen it eventually anyway.
well i suppose the question is should i follow suit? not that i can probably, im a novice with an SP1000 and not a lot else, im not obsessed with the issue but i suppose im just afraid that ill never experience the ootb edge again?

Last edited:
As soon as you start using it, you're no longer using the OOTB edge and just getting further and further from it. Let it go. OOTB edges should be seen as just gauge. Something to measure by.

As a new sharpener you enough to focus on without worrying about differential edges.

Also, there are much better resources out there than those you sighted. ;)

I am the second user on mine, and the original edge is still going strong. It and my Masakage honesuki he sharpened are the two best out-of-the box edges I have seen.
My yuki came with the shibata style high/low grit edge. I couldn’t interpret whose stamp it was on the quality control thing for the sharpener.

To the OP, I would assume yes? As mentioned, take a look at the edges and compare how shiny they are. That should be enough to confirm.

well i suppose the question is should i follow suit? not that i can probably, im a novice with an SP1000 and not a lot else, im not obsessed with the issue but i suppose im just afraid that ill never experience the ootb edge again?

No, don’t follow suit. You’ll be putting a superior edge using your own stones and technique soon enough.

Most here consider the OOTB really just a curiosity. If it’s really good then you leave it alone for the first few uses and then get to say “never sharpened” in your BST post which everybody looks at and mutters “yeah, a likely story” anyway.

Well you will learn eventually, we all did. I echo others in saying I'm sure eventually you will be able to produce a superior edge than the ootb one
This is generally true, but I've been at this awhile and still think his initial edge is very impressive. Sooner or later, you'll have to sharpen, but I would not be in a rush.

I wouldn't ignore OOTB edges entirely; if they're asymmetrical that's often part of the total grind package. So I'd lean towards following existing bevel ratios / angles, or you might find the knife starts steering quite a bit. Unless it already is, at which point you might be better off changing it.
But I wouldn't worry about matching exact grit or exotic asymmetrical grit finishes.

I talk with gabe. The fellow who sent in that dual grit edge a good bit. Actually i just sent him a 10v nakiri recently.

Anyway, his dual grit sharpening method is a bit different than the shibata one. Which i think is what lends it to the results it gets when doing edge retention testing. The shibata style dual grit edge, i imagine will just be like a normal edge more or less. Since the method is going up through the grits, then just putting the whatever coarse grit he currently uses, on one of the sides. Which i think wont end up with the same results.

Latest posts

Back