it was 114 Degs at my home yesterday.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
today, and tomorrow should be repeat performances of Summers last beat down. i had thawed some chicken wings and i needed to make some japanese curry. i cooked it outside on a stove to not heat up my home. afterwards, i was too hot to even eat it. i ate a taiwanese shaved ice dessert instead and took a cold shower. hahahha..

i am calling it quits. i am not that tough. time to get some estimates to install AC at my house. it is just getting warmer and warmer.

unbelievable. i was tempted to sit in my wifes Electric car and watch Netflix videos all night. FAACK!

at least todays lunch is gonna be yummy..

It's near 30'C outside and in house it's now 26'C....just make sure you get some PV panels in the same go as AC and be climate neutral, I don't want your stinkin' second hand heat ;-)

I'm SO looking forward to our new house that will have passive cooling through a (ground) heat pump, first reports of folks in similar houses tell me that it stays a comfortable 23'C even when its >>30'C for weeks.

today, and tomorrow should be repeat performances of Summers last beat down. i had thawed some chicken wings and i needed to make some japanese curry. i cooked it outside on a stove to not heat up my home. afterwards, i was too hot to even eat it. i ate a taiwanese shaved ice dessert instead and took a cold shower. hahahha..

i am calling it quits. i am not that tough. time to get some estimates to install AC at my house. it is just getting warmer and warmer.

unbelievable. i was tempted to sit in my wifes Electric car and watch Netflix videos all night. FAACK!

That’s insane… where are you again?

45C is pretty hot.

Thinking about it instantly takes me back to Feb 7 2009. Going outside felt like walking into an oven.

Hope you don't have any fires nearby.

Last edited:
Yep I feel that.

Similar temps here in East Bay, CA. 114*F (45*C) Yesterday, 112*F (44*C) today.

Edit: Had a 100 Acre-ish burn near Contra Costa this past weeked. Looks to be 75% contained at this point

Crazy times. Never thought I’d see it hotter in Sonoma and the Bay Area than Phoenix. I think it was around 109F here yesterday, but we’re totally dialed in for that kind of heat (here we just call it Monday).

Shoot, before I can add to this thread I need to walk over and turn down the AC. It's pretty cold in my office right now. AC is the best!

...now what were we talking about?

hahhaha..yesterday my boss called and I missed the call. why? my car AC was maxed out and I couldn't hear the phone ring. he understood.

I've been in similar weather all summer with no AC, as has most of southern and western Europe. Unfortunately, a lot of cheaper and/or newer houses/apartments are not built correctly for heat, but many people get by without AC. Of course a properly built house will trump most things and I assume there will be a resurgent return to designs that passively cool as the world continues on our trajectory, but there are some easy-ish fixes you can do.

It helps to have thick walls and good insulation, which might be a better investment than AC depending on your home, but with screened windows and thick wooden shutters for windows/glass doors you can accomplish a lot. Open the house up at night and into the morning to bring the temp in the house down, then close it all up mid-morning/whenever it starts getting hot and sunny. Tile or stone floors instead of carpet also helps, as do exterior shade options or vegetation in front of large doors or groups of windows to block the sun before it can enter your home.

We had weeks of heat in the 100-110F range this summer, but inside my in-laws house (which used to be both really hot and really cold until we insulated the attic properly) it was consistently around 75-80F during the peak of the day just doing what I described above. Heat of this kind is very manageable and people all over the world have found ways to deal with it without modern technology.

Honestly, the thing to really stress about is water, as I'm afraid many people will realize sooner rather than later.

I've been in similar weather all summer with no AC, as has most of southern and western Europe. Unfortunately, a lot of cheaper and/or newer houses/apartments are not built correctly for heat, but many people get by without AC. Of course a properly built house will trump most things and I assume there will be a resurgent return to designs that passively cool as the world continues on our trajectory, but there are some easy-ish fixes you can do.

It helps to have thick walls and good insulation, which might be a better investment than AC depending on your home, but with screened windows and thick wooden shutters for windows/glass doors you can accomplish a lot. Open the house up at night and into the morning to bring the temp in the house down, then close it all up mid-morning/whenever it starts getting hot and sunny. Tile or stone floors instead of carpet also helps, as do exterior shade options or vegetation in front of large doors or groups of windows to block the sun before it can enter your home.

We had weeks of heat in the 100-110F range this summer, but inside my in-laws house (which used to be both really hot and really cold until we insulated the attic properly) it was consistently around 75-80F during the peak of the day just doing what I described above. Heat of this kind is very manageable and people all over the world have found ways to deal with it without modern technology.

Honestly, the thing to really stress about is water, as I'm afraid many people will realize sooner rather than later.
you bring up way too much for this humble thread. Water deserves it's own forum. scary. ( I am kinda glad I dont have children - bleak)

I am kinda lucky. I have good windows and decent insulation in my walls. my house's superpower is the goofy flat roof. the previous owner had the foresight to install a seamless waterproof roof. it is white. my house is noticeably cooler than all my neighbors. it has a 3" hardboard foam directly under the roof lining, so it is extra insulation. why anyone will choose black roof shingles is a mystery. my white roof kicks butt.

you bring up way too much for this humble thread. Water deserves it's own forum. scary. ( I am kinda glad I dont have children - bleak)

I am kinda lucky. I have good windows and decent insulation in my walls. my house's superpower is the goofy flat roof. the previous owner had the foresight to install a seamless waterproof roof. it is white. my house is noticeably cooler than all my neighbors. it has a 3" hardboard foam directly under the roof lining, so it is extra insulation. why anyone will choose black roof shingles is a mystery. my white roof kicks butt.

Yeah, water is no joke. (Also, Im right there with you on the kid thing.)

I mean, I was born and raised in the hot and humid southern US, so I appreciate AC as much as the next person, but it’s a blunt and expensive instrument in more ways than one. Plus, I can confirm from first hand experience that AC isn’t worth a damn when you have no electricity or the country decides to have rolling blackouts because of the heat.

Yeah, water is no joke. (Also, Im right there with you on the kid thing.)

I mean, I was born and raised in the hot and humid southern US, so I appreciate AC as much as the next person, but it’s a blunt and expensive instrument in more ways than one. Plus, I can confirm from first hand experience that AC isn’t worth a damn when you have no electricity or the country decides to have rolling blackouts because of the heat.
yup. in a irony kinda way. my cool white roof makes solar panels much much more complicated. bums me out.

Open the house up at night and into the morning to bring the temp in the house down, then close it all up mid-morning/whenever it starts getting hot and sunny.

Reminds me of the time we had a power outage when it was 117F. About 3am I was lying there dying of the heat. I opened a window and it was even hotter outside o_O

About 5am I couldn't take it anymore and drove over to a Starbucks, sat outside to use their wifi and booked a hotel room. Grabbed the family and checked in at 6am. Of course by noon our power came back - shortest hotel stay ever.

Reminds me of the time we had a power outage when it was 117F. About 3am I was lying there dying of the heat. I opened a window and it was even hotter outside o_O

About 5am I couldn't take it anymore and drove over to a Starbucks, sat outside to use their wifi and booked a hotel room. Grabbed the family and checked in at 6am. Of course by noon our power came back - shortest hotel stay ever.

Ooph, rough. Admittedly, its harder to do the 'cool the house at night' thing when it doesn't get cool at night or if its super humid. We had a few nights of 90s at midnight/early morning this summer and it was no fun.

I remember when I was in one Middle Eastern country years ago, there were power cuts every afternoon like clockwork because the electrical grid was shut down for a few hours to keep the bad infrastructure from crashing. It was bearable if you were in a good, old building, but inside those ubiquitous, cheap concrete apartment blocks it was brutal.

White reflective roofing membrane is good in the summer, but works against you in the winter. So the net benefit depends on where you fall with respect to heating versus cooling days. At least from an energy usage perspective. From a comfort perspective, it is probably better to many to be colder versus hotter, although that is personal.

Three inches of foam insulation is a maximum of R-15, So that's not great, considering the IRC is something like R-36 or more for roofs in single-family residences (and many local jurisdictions are higher). So if it is comfortable consider yourself lucky.

these days solar panels can have cells on the back to increase power capacity, those likely would benefit greatly from your white roofing!
Or you could try find PVT panels, those combine solar electricity with warm water production which doubles to help cool the solar cells making them more efficient.

Back