Itinomonn 240mm vs Gengetsu 240mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmtyb

Reaction score
Looking at Itinomonn 240mm Stainless or the Gengetsu 240mm semi Stainless. The specification is very similar on these two knives with Itinomonn bit lighter and thinner. Only want to purchase one but which one????

Well the Itinomonn is a little bit lighter, but the difference is so small, that it does not necessarily has to mean that it is also thinner. I had the Itinomonn in 210 and really liked the grind, but I did not have a chance to use the Gengetsu yet (would love to though).

I've used both in 210. Both are high performance cutters, but my subjective impression (based on the specific samples that I own) is that the itinomonn has a more durable, daily driver feel, whereas the gengetsu has a more weekend sportscar feel. Sorry to resort to such nonspecific metaphor but that's my impression! Might just be the 210s as well - could be the opposite in 240.

Prior to the recent itinomonn price hike, I would have advised starting with the itinomonn. It was substantially cheaper but close in performance. But with the recent price hike, I say choose whichever one speaks to you more. Both are likely to find buyers here on BST so I wouldn't worry too much if you eventually decide you'd rather try the other. Or heck, get both out the gate while they're still in stock, find a way to get to 50 quality posts or request special dispensation, and then list whichever one you don't prefer on BST :)

I've used both in 210. Both are high performance cutters, but my subjective impression (based on the specific samples that I own) is that the itinomonn has a more durable, daily driver feel, whereas the gengetsu has a more weekend sportscar feel. Sorry to resort to such nonspecific metaphor but that's my impression! Might just be the 210s as well - could be the opposite in 240.

Prior to the recent itinomonn price hike, I would have advised starting with the itinomonn. It was substantially cheaper but close in performance. But with the recent price hike, I say choose whichever one speaks to you more. Both are likely to find buyers here on BST so I wouldn't worry too much if you eventually decide you'd rather try the other. Or heck, get both out the gate while they're still in stock, find a way to get to 50 quality posts or request special dispensation, and then list whichever one you don't prefer on BST :)
Out of interest, did you compare them side by side or is this more of an impression of their relative performances? How does the food release compare? Is the thinness behind the edge similar?

I've had both in 240 at the same time, both SS. They are very similar. In my examples, I felt like Gengetsu had a slight performance advantage. The weight and balance was very similar. The handle was better for me on Gengetsu. Price difference doesn't really exist anymore if you consider that Gengetsu comes with a better handle, even though Itinomonn handle is perfectly fine too.

I didn't feel that Gengetsu is more fragile. Gengetsu has a slight S-grind and Itinomonn is more of a convex, both perform very well. If you had to press me for it very hard, I would say that Gengetsu went through dense food better and release was also better. In both cases it was very marginal and could be just my 2 examples. F&F was better on Gengetsu as well.

All in all, I kept Gengetsu and sold Itinomonn, I would most likely be as happy doing the opposite...

The two knives are similar enough that it would be difficult to make a mistake in picking one over the other. I'd go with the handle choice really, if Itinomonn handle looks good to you buy it and save a few bucks, if you plan to change it just get Gengetsu and be done with it.

Out of interest, did you compare them side by side or is this more of an impression of their relative performances? How does the food release compare? Is the thinness behind the edge similar?

It's based on test cutting several times with both knives on a few different products (the usual suspects: onion, carrot, potato, sweet potato, garlic, herbs). The gengetsu out performed the itinomonn in pretty much all respects, although the difference between the two is not the same in all categories. For example, food release is not all that significantly different, but the gengetsu makes noticeably smoother initial cuts in soft product like onion and wedges noticeably less in harder product like carrot or sweet potato.

Then again, when I ordered the gengetsu from JKI, I specifically requested one on the thinner side behind the edge. I neglected to make that request when ordering the itinomonn. So it is possible that my itinomonn (while still possessing an awesome taper both longitudinally and to the edge) may be on the thicker side for that knife, and my gengetsu may be on the thinner side.

The most noticeable difference to me is that the itinomonn feels more substantial in hand. The handle is larger and the blade is a touch oversized for a 210. The handle on the gengetsu is noticeably smaller. My guess is that the chestnut weighs more and so the handle is made smaller in order to avoid bringing the balance point to far back. So ultimately, if I were inclined to use a 210 as a daily driver, I may go with the itinomonn. But the gengetsu is an undeniably thrilling performer - just "feels" more like a "special occasion" knife.

What can I say? So much of this is subjective :)

Im up for buying an Itinomonn very soon. The 24cm one.
Lets hope im getting it soon, soon enough to write down a review for you

I've used both in 240 though at different times. My recollection of the Itinomonn is that is a very good knife, could be used for anything.. I used it in a passaround and though I liked it I was not inclined to buy one

The Gengetsu was an exciting step up. Thinner tip but just enough heft. Still own it and a couple more.

Neither is a bad choice.

Thank you very much for replies and suggestions. I think I will be happy one way or the other :).

Latest posts

Back