Itinomonn - Maksim please tells us more :)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maksim - is there a chance that we could see different knife shapes from Itinomonn? Something along the lines of a funayuki (or a wide petty of some 165mm) in a nice kasumi finish could help me to cure that 'Carter bug' :)

the profile on itinomonn stainless clad gyutos looks drastically improved from the original kurouchi finish itinomonns. it would be nice if in the future the kurouchi versions also were made with the stainless clad profile(basically what im saying is i want a kurouchi gyuto but that tip seems alittle too high for me :))

I really like my stainless western gyuto. I wish that profile was was available in a wa handle, as i think i would like it even more.

I really like the construction and feel and quality of my nashiji 210 gyuto, but it's reallllly tall (55mm) and very curvy with a high tip. A flatter profile with the same laserish edge geometry and nashiji/kurouchi finish (or stainless with nashiji) would be awesome.

I was hoping to find a way to contact the maker about a custom piece like that; I'd consider trying to start a group buy, but everyone on KFF is into 240+ blades.

I'm with Matus though about a [double-beveled] funayuki too. Not a big-bellied deba style, but something in the spirit of Carter or some of the Tosa funayuki out there.

I sent a prospective email to Teruyasu Fujiwara and Shosui Takeda and they're willing to do such a project, but Mr. Takeda never confirmed with me, and I'm not certain about Teruyasu Fujiwara's grinds after getting a nakiri from him. Also tried to get in touch with the maker of Toshihiro for a custom but couldn't contact him directly. Watanabe might be another custom or semi-custom option, but I wouldn't mind one under the Itinomon brand at all.

I sent a prospective email to Teruyasu Fujiwara and Shosui Takeda and they're willing to do such a project, but Mr. Takeda never confirmed with me, and I'm not certain about Teruyasu Fujiwara's grinds after getting a nakiri from him. Also tried to get in touch with the maker of Toshihiro for a custom but couldn't contact him directly. Watanabe might be another custom or semi-custom option, but I wouldn't mind one under the Itinomon brand at all.
must say that I am impressed with the grind on my watanabe pro nakiri!

Should we maybe start a separate thread where you could describe in details what exactly you want from this project? I mean describe in details profile and geometry, desired steel, price range and handle materials. With that information people could decide if they are interested or not. And with all THAT information we could contact different makers to see what can they offer.

Funny that you guys don't like the profile on the KU Itinomonn gyutos. I absolutely love the profile. Tall, slightly higher tip, but still effective. Meh. Different strokes, I guess. I'll admit it's not for everyone, but I do wonder if people get a bit carried away with the "low tip" idea.

Funny that you guys don't like the profile on the KU Itinomonn gyutos. I absolutely love the profile. Tall, slightly higher tip, but still effective. Meh. Different strokes, I guess. I'll admit it's not for everyone, but I do wonder if people get a bit carried away with the "low tip" idea.
Mine has no flat area at all and is the curviest knife I own. I'm not looking for the wharncliffe-esque things some people have been looking for, but this has almost as much belly as a Shun and is taller than even most of my nakiri (55mm, advertised as 50). My stainless-clad Itinomonn is also a continuous curve pretty much but is almost 5mm shorter at the heel so the tip is closer to the center and the overall shape much more manageable. Is the shape for protein slicing? I can't really use it on vegetables unless rocking, but the height makes that a lot of work.

I have a 210 and a 240 KU Itinomonn and the 210 has very little flat, the 240 is much better in that regard.

From reading the comments above it would seem that there is some variation in the blade shape of the Itinomonn gyutos. Knowing it one could use it to ones own advantage and asking Maksim before purchase.

Just wanted to say - just seen (online) the new Itinomon semi-stainless and to me it looks pretty much perfect. Not too tall at the heel, thin and light and Maksim says that it is actually harder and stiffer than the V2 Itinomonns. Makes me want to order one just to try it!

Maksim - what should we expect from the steel compared to well known players like SKD or SLD in terms of edge holding, sharpening or chip resistance?

Yeah it looks promising...a 210 with similar profile would be awesome.

Looks like the spiritual successor to the Zensho-Yoshikane SKD migaki gyuto (still the best knife I have ever used, a fantastic all-rounder) going by the profile and measurements.

So - any user experience with the new SemiStainless line from Itinomonn? How much flex does the blade has (compared to KU Itinomonn for example)? How does it feel on stones?

:)

So - any user experience with the new SemiStainless line from Itinomonn? How much flex does the blade has (compared to KU Itinomonn for example)? How does it feel on stones?

:)

Give me 2-3 days ( i have to pick it up)- i'll test in very intensively and come back with my opinion

Speaking of reviews Matus, don't you owe us all one on your Haburn gyuto ;) we've all been patiently waiting...

Yep, and it will come :) I just want to get some more hands-on time with it before I do that. I know I have been teasing you guys about it way too long.

That is just perfect Andrey! I will keen an eye on the Review section :)

So, SS Gyuto 210
Quite lightweight, almost no flex, nice finish
Keen out of the box
Retension- ok, nothing special, but this is SS...
Nice proportion, curves, heights, this all is ok, I couldn't find disturbing points.
Cutting performance: onion,potato,carrots- very good. No " trough-falling" as Kato or Shigefusa, but very good. Don't forget it's an SS knife.
Herbs quick chopping- no problems, very good.
Tomato: here it starts.. Here you see the difference very good. No class, just a knife. Especially on softer tomatoes. Not really impressive.
Proteins : fish/ meat - just ok.
Bread, dry bread- just ok
Could it be an every-day-knife? Yes, why not. Is it a good knife? Sure. For it's price it's very good.
Is it an excellent knife? Hardly.
Considering it's price it's really good, but thinking about other Gyutos- this one is really just one more knife, better, then the stuff in retail, but no chance to fight in same league as great knives. I don't think it is supposed to be for, frankly speaking.
One more advantage: no rust. If you leave it wet or dirty- sure, you'll get it. Not much, like a discoloration points. No need to oil. Not at all. All the week in test, no problems.
So if you need an affordable SS knife in most common Gyuto size which outperform many retail common knives- welcome. Hand made.
If you just want to get a new( one more) interesting knife with it's unique soul & strong overall cutting abilities- not sure.
But as a line knife, or an every-day-hoarse - when you can maybe think less about taking care ( not my point) of it- then it's ok.
Anyhow, i think Maksim tries to offer not only high-end knives, but the more affordable ones as well, sure they can't be the same as his high-end. So thanks go to JNS again :). !!

Great review Andrey. Have recommended this for the new apprentices where I work and have bought 1 for 1 of them yesterday, so I'm interested to see how its going to be. I hope it outperforms the MAC's most people use here in Norway, and that its allright to use it to start learning sharpening with stones. :)

Thank you Andrey. It surprises me a little that you seem to interpret the fact that the knife is SS as a reason for less than perfect (for your standards at least) performance. I am just wondering here because there are SS knives like Heiji, Gengentsu or Yoshikane that come in SS and offer excellent performance. My question would be - how does the knife respond to sharpening and how do you find the edge geometry? Could it be that the knife needs some thinning?

thank you

Thank you Andrey. It surprises me a little that you seem to interpret the fact that the knife is SS as a reason for less than perfect (for your standards at least) performance. I am just wondering here because there are SS knives like Heiji, Gengentsu or Yoshikane that come in SS and offer excellent performance. My question would be - how does the knife respond to sharpening and how do you find the edge geometry? Could it be that the knife needs some thinning?

thank you

Hi, Matus
I have tried/tested so many knives in so many steels already.. I haven't seen the SS which has outperform the carbon. Here i would like to explain a little bit. Just stop exploding speaking about PM steels- i've seem them A LOT. From ZDP189 to Cowry X and great american PM steels ( mostly on great folders ). No response like on carbons. No control like on carbons. You feel the moment you come trough the food. You feel the moment it touches the cutting board. It's different. For me.
I never say: the PM or SS are worse or better- it's the matter of taste. You should like your knives, not me. It's very personal.
So when i say: they outperform easily ..i mean first of all for me. You are free to agree or disagree
Reg thinning- I don't think so, unless you need a knife with a thickness of paper ****. 😜
It's thin, sturdy, when you thin it, it will loose it's non-flexibility.
In general- the knife is good for SS and shouldn't be directly compared with Kato or Shigefusa.
Just a good knife for a reasonable price.
Easy to maintain. Easy to sharpen. Good retention. Good geometry- here I wouldn't change anything- it's a pro-knife for a hard work. Not Kato level at all, but nit a Kato price by far :).

Great review Andrey. Have recommended this for the new apprentices where I work and have bought 1 for 1 of them yesterday, so I'm interested to see how its going to be. I hope it outperforms the MAC's most people use here in Norway, and that its allright to use it to start learning sharpening with stones. :)

Thanks
Good way to practice sharpening.
Good luck!👍

thank you

One more thing, Matus.
Of course I tried Yoshikane and Heiji as well. As many others.
They all are respectable blacksmiths.
I told just that the high chromium content (15%+) determins the final result.. It becomes SS, easier to maintain, but... I saw many ( also damn expensive) knives in PM steel( different PM and hight speed tool steel as well)- they outperform carbon steel ( " rusty steel") in terms of retention but..... It's my " old school" personal feeling as well. And please don't take it too personally, use you prefer, not what people say :).

Fwiw stainless is above 11-13% depending on who you talk to... 15% is well beyond that, and many of the stainless steels likes on these forums are in the 13-14% range

Latest posts

Back