Quantcast

Japanese Sakai Takayuki Blue Steel Gyuto Knife 240mm ? Any good?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

ajhuff

Banned
Reaction score
I like that knife. I'm curious to see your responses. I read the description to mean that it is not clad? Wonder if it could be had with a black handle?

-AJ

NO ChoP!

Old Head
Reaction score
Yes, I think you should buy it and let us know...

Looks pretty thin and light for a western. Handle appears to be of good size by pictures. I gathered it's mono as well. Could be an interesting knife.

labor of love

Reaction score
i bet that knife is awesome. im curious what the rockwell hardness is. im not really diggin the handle though. wish they made a wa version.

NO ChoP!

Old Head
Reaction score
Yes it does... I like the western deba and honesuki; something tells me mono-blue steel would be pretty rugged.

JasonD

Reaction score
I sent him an email over eBay about that knife a little while back to get some more information on it. He said the spine to edge length was 46mm and the hardness should be about 63HRC. I would have picked it up in a heartbeat if it was a little bit taller, but that's just my preference. Looks like a great knife!

stevenStefano

Reaction score
I think a whole load of people have been looking at that knife and wondering about it but haven't pulled the trigger. I've bought a load of stuff from BluewayJapan and have nothing but positives to say about Keiichi. If it was a 270 I might bite

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
I've wondered about that knife for years myself, almost talked Ryan into getting it too but he chickened out.

kalaeb

Banned
Reaction score
If someone had a 270 I would take a dive in. Apart from blueways, Pauls Finest is the only other place I can see that has them.

stevenStefano

Reaction score
I was going to email a while ago and ask about a 270 but I'm sorta skint now. Keiichi is usually really helpful so asking about a 270 might be worth a shot

Timthebeaver

Reaction score
Aoki and Sakai Takayuki are one and the same, are they not? as evidenced by the logo. a 270 is listed and i am pretty sure Keiichi could get his mitts on one.

echerub

Founding Member
Reaction score
Not wa, otherwise I'd get it... Maybe I should be thankful it's not wa :)

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Founding Member
Reaction score
*cough* western to wa conversion *cough*

echerub

Founding Member
Reaction score
HAHAHA... hey, I've got enough problems with purchasing "too many" wa-handled knives to open that whole can of worms :)

JanusInTheGarden

Reaction score
Our restaurant group has two restaurants and the chef in the other spot had this knife. He really enjoyed it but ended up following it with a Konosuke and pretty much abandoning it. Wish I had more info but I rarely got the chance to be around it.