JCK furinkazan zdp

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noideaatall1

Reaction score
Has anyone tried any of these knives? Apparently made by sukenari so I'm wondering if it's just a rebrand of sukenari's own zdp knives.

If someone has tried it please comment on its performance, fit & finish so on.

its crazy how fast they sold out... I'm fairly certain they're the same as the "hairline" zdp-189 from sukenari. based on my experience with another knife produced (I believe) in the same fashion I'd be willing to bet the grind is quite thin at the edge. I posted a review with a choil shot a few months back. I have a really hard time to believe they're all gone and SOME kkf member didn't get their grubby paws on one. :eyebrow:

JCK says its clad ZDP189 but don't mention if the cladding is stainless or soft iron. Anyone know?

Thinking about getting a petty when they become available but only if the cladding is stainless.

JCK says its clad ZDP189 but don't mention if the cladding is stainless or soft iron. Anyone know?

Stainless. Don't think there are any soft iron clad stainless (or essentially stainless) core knives out there.

Hello everyone,

New member here, I just registered to join the thread.

I have used the ZDP suji for almost a week now. It is made by Sukenari and I believe the clad is stainless because it hasn't shown any patina so far...

At the time I placed the order, the 210mm & 240mm gyutos were already sold out, and when the knife arrived the whole line were sold out as well...

The f & f was almost perfect, but there was a very small area of uneven grind at the tip. It was actually a fraction of the clad being trimmed off on one side just above the primary edge, and I suspect this was done on purpose to expose the core a bit more during the QA or QC process.

The blade itself is in a brushed hairline finish, and the clad seems to be quite scratch resistant. The Kanji letters (風林火山功明) actually help with the consistency of my grip, which is an unexpected bonus.

The sharpness out of the box was impressive, and after the daily use in my home kitchen I couldn't feel any degradation so far, and no signs of chips as well.

One other thing is that this line of ZDP knives seem to be almost identical to the Sukenari "hairline" line on cktg, except for the handle and Kanji letters. You can check the Sukenari's website here. It looks that Sukenari do offer their ZDP knives in two lines, one is in a mirror polished Damascus finish with ebony handles, and the other is in a normal clad normal finish with Ho handles.

I am a new knife nerd here and it is my first higher-end kitchen knife so please take my words with a grain of salt.

Cheers,

Lean

I am wondering if these knives (sukenari/fu-rin-ka-zan zdp hairline) are stamped or forged. I can't read kanji does it say hammer forged on the knife?

I am wondering if these knives (sukenari/fu-rin-ka-zan zdp hairline) are stamped or forged. I can't read kanji does it say hammer forged on the knife?

on the site it says forged instead of stamped.

I wonder how these compare to the KnivesandStones Sukenari ZDP189 hairline gyutos? They were just recently put up. $35 more for the 240mm as compares to JCKs sale price, also comes with a saya, but the semi-custom handle is much nicer. It almost seems like the same knife going by measurements.

Now, I don't know whatsoever but I'm willing to put money that the knives are basically identical and the only difference is f&f considerations.

thanks for mentioning the K&S offering, I have an announcement here.

Very honourable of you James, you will no doubt win a lot of customer loyalty with this gesture.

After posting this thread I found out that K&S sells sukenari hairline with a semi-custom handle at about the same price so it made sense to get a suji from James.
Knife arrived this morning and I have to say the fit and finish on it is superb, the handle is also very nice. Can't imagine JCK's furinkazan to be of better value.
Haven't cut anything other than a bit of cheese (I know that's not what a suji is for... but you can't blame someone that wants to try out his now toy, the cheese was soft btw:wink:) so can't comment on how it cuts.

I didn't know that K&S also offer this line with ebony handles at a similar price before I purchased my ZDP suji, but I do know where to look at when I need a new ZDP gyuto.:thumbsup:

k&s is a bit more expensive than that as it doesn't include shipping but the handle is a big plus in my opinion. James sure manages to offer some great deals.

Whoops, nevermind, I am not so good with the shipping information :p

I've never used ZDP-189 chef knife before, but based on my experience with zdp189 folders, it chips easily....
Has anyone tried zdp189 knife? and what kind of food did you cut?

I've never used ZDP-189 chef knife before, but based on my experience with zdp189 folders, it chips easily....
Has anyone tried zdp189 knife? and what kind of food did you cut?

I did a lot of testing on the Sukenari ZDP-189 Damascus Gyuto 270mm and documented it in this thread here.

Just keep in mind, I accidentally dropped it on the corner of a concrete step to get the first chip before I started the thread (on the first day I got it too :(), so that damage shouldn't count; it would've happened to any knife. The rest of the abuse I did during the thread was on purpose for testing how brittle this kind of knife actually is...

...and then I fixed it. :)

I did a lot of testing on the Sukenari ZDP-189 Damascus Gyuto 270mm and documented it in this thread here.

Just keep in mind, I accidentally dropped it on the corner of a concrete step to get the first chip before I started the thread (on the first day I got it too :(), so that damage shouldn't count; it would've happened to any knife. The rest of the abuse I did during the thread was on purpose for testing how brittle this kind of knife actually is...

...and then I fixed it. :)
I think the damascus knives are a bit thicker but it stands to reason both knives are equally thin behind the edge.

I have a ZDP folder that I use pretty brutally at work and haven't chipped yet.

Back