JMJones Knives Pass Around – 240mm Wa Gyuto- Sign up

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sent the knife off to Groc today. I was out of town for a few days so never got around to posting pictures and when I was around it was cloudy or raining.
Knife cuts well, grind is good, didn't think I was going to like the profile as much as I did, has a little more belly than I usually like, but I would definitely be interested in a JMJones knife in the future.

Knife is ready to be shipped to Brian.
Excellent cutter, solid feel and nice grind. Very nice handle, complementing the blade very well.
General purpose profile works well for a variety of techniques (chopping, push and pull cutting, etc.).
I would like to see a slightly pointier tip for detailed draw cuts, but that is my personal preference.
I did not sharpen the knife, just run a couple of passes on 1micron loaded balsa strop and it was hair shaving sharp again.

I can see a JMJones in my future, just need to start saving for one!
Thank you for the opportunity to try your work!

About to go to tgfencer. Thanks for doing this!

Arrived a bit dull but a few light passes on a gesshin 2k and diamond felt strop had it super sharp.

Knife had no problem with potatoes, herbs, button mushrooms, garlic, celery and green beans. Nice food release on the celery especially. Would like to see a flatter more nimble tip for my preference. Cutting potatoes for mashed potatoes had me lifting my elbow up pretty high to fully slice through.

Handle felt really nice as did the overall weight of the knife. It handled everything equally well. This was a lot of fun to use! Great knife.

The knife arrived yesterday. We have holiday dinners to go to both nights this weekend, so chances are I will not be able to put it through it's paces much until x-mas weekend. So Todd, I should be ready to hand it off to you just before NY weekend.

1/2 way to cowtown, I can't wait to play with this gyuto

The knife arrived in good order. Looking forward to using it.

The knife arrived safe and sound. Dwalker always does a super good job packing.

Edge was still in a pretty good shape when it arrived. However, someone might have been a little overzealous sharpening around the tip. Best picture I can take to show what I'm talking about. There was some residual burr on about a 1/3 of the blade, I touched it up before use. I can definitely fix it before I send it out to the next person, but it depends if JMJones would like me to.
39281900954_b56ff1d089_b.jpg

Anywho, I'll go ahead and post a few pictures along with initial impression on the knife.

Handle is well made, smooth to the touch however you can feel the transition from the handle to the ferrule.
26118958498_340b32603e_b.jpg

The knife definitely have some heft behind it, I wouldn't exactly call this a "workhorse" i.e a heiji or a watanabe. But I wouldn't be scare to use it on a buttersquash if I had to.
26118959808_f465b9513c_b.jpg

Balance point is right where it needs to be. Right where your pinch grip would be.
26118960178_6a29dc8783_b.jpg

The spine is fairly consistant until the last two inches from the tip where it gradually tapers off.
39959817192_b15908b5e1_b.jpg

The profile is a continuous gentle curve without any real flat spot.
26118959378_3d902fced9_b.jpg

The grind looks like it's a serious performer, can't say much about food release until more use. Super thin behind the edge with really no real shoulders. Gives my sukenari zdp189 and mizuno honyaki dx a run for its money. Definitely laser like.
26118959078_41d92e8b68_b.jpg

So far, i've thrown some work at it, or as much as a tuesday lunch can do. Will report back soon to see how well it fairs in a commerical kitchen after dinner service and a weekend.

26118960518_7e30308128_b.jpg

26118960918_2e0a329e3d_b.jpg

There were some pretty wonky edge bevels when it got to me. It also had a bump about a third of the way from the heel which I smoothed out. I, too would like a bit flatter profile, but I did enjoy using the knife. I really like the S grind which performed admirably. The only other request I would have in a custom would be a bit more distal taper for a thinner tip. It was still a good performer as is. I used it pretty hard (for a home cook) and sent it out without stroping or sharpening. Should you get a chance to put it to the stones, it responds very nicely. I also noticed it is not very reactive. I'm interested to see how it responds in a pro kitchen.

Knife arrived yesterday. Gorgeous handle and grind. Haven’t used it yet but I’m in agreement with dwalker-if I ordered a custom from Mr. Jones I would indeed request a flatter profile and more taper towards the tip. Yeah the edge bevel is higher towards the tip on one side and the edge bevel is higher in general on the other side of the knife. None of that will stop me from enjoying this knife though and that stuff can be easily corrected after the pass around.
Thanks again JMJONES for making this pass around happen.
Also, just wanted to mention the blade seems to be installed at an angle. See the choil shot on the prior page which shows what I mean.

So far I’ve pretty mixed feelings about the knife. Going to use it just a little bit more then send it off to daveb (along w that stone I owe you) in the next few days.

Just a few more days. I'll be in Nova Scotia for school most likely when it comes. So it may not see any heavy prep. But it'll get to meet Nova Scotia lobster.. the best lobster in the whole wide world. That and pei potatoes.

Awesome! Looking forward to it, I'll post in here when I've received the knife.

Hey all,

Just wanted to pop in and say haven't received the knife yet, might be stuck in shipping purgetory? Wanted to check in on it and see if any searching had to be done. Thanks

Back