JNATs: what does money buy?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Assuming you’re buying from a reputable seller, what determines the price of a natural stone? I’m sure the answer is ‘It all depends’ but how do experienced people select stones? What are they thinking?

Sounds like you need to do some research. Use the search function of the forum. Plenty of threads discussing this and related subjects. That should give you the basis for forming and asking more specific questions that will in turn give you better, more relevant answers. I recommend "jnat prices" as a good starting search. Also plenty of good stuff in the Sharpening Station subforum if you look back through the old threads.

Sounds like you need to do some research. Use the search function of the forum. Plenty of threads discussing this and related subjects. That should give you the basis for forming and asking more specific questions that will in turn give you better, more relevant answers. I recommend "jnat prices" as a good starting search. Also plenty of good stuff in the Sharpening Station subforum if you look back through the old threads.
I was afraid you were going to say that.

I was afraid you were going to say that.

Haha, yeah, it can be a pain I know but there is some good stuff kicking around. On a different day I might have gone in on a long winded explanation. Sometimes though it’s just easier to rehash an old conversation after you know someone has put some time in to do homework first.

Size, shape, weight, mined location, layer, color, how fast it absorbs drop of water, then instinct!

I will preface with the fact that I am relatively new here.
However, much of it seems to be on rareness of stone and, much line synthetic, the higher the grit. . . the higher the price. This is probably just a generality.

But, reputable dealers are definitely important, as I have heard stories.

Rarity, aesthetics of the stone, quality of the stone (no cracks, no inclusions that can cause scratches), size, quality of the edge it gives, quality of a kasumi polish (if applicable), feel of the stone. I'd say these all make up a large part of the price, the first two factors can make up a large part of the price and you may not particularly care about them.

Assuming you’re buying from a reputable seller, what determines the price of a [X]? I’m sure the answer is ‘It all depends’ but how do experienced people select [X]? What are they thinking?

Waiting for Chef Doom too swing by this thread...

Size, shape, rarity, name/brand, colours/looks, lack of off putting lines. Then the sharpening qualities of the stone.

Just take a quick browse through Watanabe’s natural stone collection. You’ll have a rough outline how expensive certain stones are.

That tamagoiro though :eek:

If you're stone obsessed, you buy a stone for the special sharpening or polishing qualities or aesthetics.

Otherwise, buy a darnn stone and try the darnnn thing out. Start with sub $200 Watanabe for gosh sakes.

These kinds of questions pop up due to the cost, and that's understandable so, for entry level:
(1)Don't buy a giant stone
(2)Don't buy a pretty pattern stone
(3)Don't buy a rare, stamped stone
(4)Don't buy a super in demand stone (cough, ohira renge, okuda suita)
(5)Don't buy a super hard fine stone
(6)Don't buy a high-end mine name stone

(1)Buy from a reputable dealer so you don't get sand in your stones, or stone that disintegrates (though this is never guaranteed, the reputable dealer will refund you and shipping)
(2)Buy a finishing stone as your first jnat
(3)Buy more direct if you want for possibly cheaper, more rare, or more bang for buck, but expect worse customer service usually. Retail is there for their help.

(1)Expect to spend at least around $100-$200
(2)It costs more to get nice rectangles. It's very helpful to have rectangles for bulk sharpening.
(3)Generic no name Japanese mine "honyama" is just fine.

Go after the ugly thin ones with broken corners from lesser known mines that is slightly smaller than full size if you enjoy keeping your wallet full. Fugly stones need lovin' too! Some work quite well.

But on a serious note, as already stated there are a lot of reasons why a stone might hold a specific price tag but you can disregard that, to an extent, if you wish. Communication with the vendor helps a lot. Tell them what you are looking for and what you have to spend and ask for suggestions. Once you have suggestions, ask questions!

Trusted vendors are important but so is being descriptive about what you want. Just because a stone is good does not mean it is right for you.

Fugly stones need lovin' too! Some work quite well.

Just because a stone is good does not mean it is right for you.

Can't agree more with both those statements.

I am a relative noob when it comes to JNats, but they are so much fun. When you find that "right stone" that works well with the "right steel" its an enlightening moment. Or when you finally get that perfect slurry level, pressure level to get that nice kasumi you've been chasing?

At the end of the day how much would you pay for fun?

Like Golf, can be played with $100 clubs $1000 clubs $5000 clubs, but I tend to believe swing is more important than your clubs. Expensive clubs doesn't necessarily buy you strokes.

I noticed that knives polished with Japanese stones smell better than knives polished with Chinese stones. Might just be the lard I'm using as lubricant though.
So thats what the pros use! Need to stop using that gel-like substance from the spam can. But to my defense they were Danish import spam for my Danish import knives

Back