Kagekiyo craftsmen?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiru

Reaction score
Hi guys, apologises if this has been discussed but I couldn’t find it on the search engine (both google and kkf) just out of curiosity, who are the main sharpeners and smith for kagekiyo gyuto?
I’ve seen they have serval pics on Instagram with Morihiro but also Myojin, I guess it’s safe to say it’s either one of these guys(Morihiro’s students or Myojin I should say)
What about smiths? I’m assuming Tanaka for blue 1 and Nakagawa for white 1?

Different lines have different craftsman, Baba Hamono actually revealed one of their line is done by Myojin. Others are speculation, Blue#1 might be Yoshikazu Tanaka while the rest are Nakagawa, sharpener might be Morihiro. Tho recently they have a new sharpener while the old one retired.

Smiths are going to be Y. Tanaka and nakagawa depending on the line, sharpeners will be Myojin, Morihiro, and Nishida San among others:

Regardless, top of the line craftsman no matter which you pick

Is it confirmed somewhere that the ginsan is Nakagawa? I've asked this elsewhere and heard speculation it could be a couple different smiths.

Morihiro is retired from day to day sharpening. Seems like he is still teaching apprentices.
People say that, but then he just pops up and does new lines, like choyo and some of the newer wide bevel nakagawas....just like people have been saying Toyama is going to retired any day now for like 5 years lol

Is it confirmed somewhere that the ginsan is Nakagawa? I've asked this elsewhere and heard speculation it could be a couple different smiths.
Not sure for ginsan but it would make a lot of sense. I had a blue 2 that I confirmed with baba hamono that nakagawa forged. And we know Y. Tanaka forged for them....so unless for some reason they would want to use someone else like Yamatsuka for ginsan, I don't see why they wouldn't use nakagawa who already does some work for them. I'm sure you could ask though they are helpful. Not sure who else would do high end ginsan besides those two, and usually Yamatsuka does work for Sakai takayuki, and nakagawa does like...everyone else's ginsan lol.

Not sure who else would do high end ginsan besides those two, and usually Yamatsuka does work for Sakai takayuki, and nakagawa does like...everyone else's ginsan lol.
I thought Yamatsuka also does Yoshihiro's ginsan? I might be completely wrong though.

Thanks guys, I am actually quite interested to try the Gesshin Kagekiyo and perhaps a diamond stone from Jon.
Jon confirmed white 1 and blue 1 are either from Nakagawa or Tanaka, and the sharpeners are Morihiro, Myojin and Nishida.
I in fact want to buy one locally but the local shop wouldn't respond to email and they don't have the white 1 listed on their site, only white 2 and blue 1...

Thanks guys, I am actually quite interested to try the Gesshin Kagekiyo and perhaps a diamond stone from Jon.
Jon confirmed white 1 and blue 1 are either from Nakagawa or Tanaka, and the sharpeners are Morihiro, Myojin and Nishida.
I in fact want to buy one locally but the local shop wouldn't respond to email and they don't have the white 1 listed on their site, only white 2 and blue 1...
Jon Broida specifically told me that Morihiro doesn’t sharpen any more and Kagekiyo knives are done by his protégés. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Jon Broida specifically told me that Morihiro doesn’t sharpen any more and Kagekiyo knives are done by his protégés. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Maybe he isn't doing Kagekiyo specifically now, but here are 3 retailers selling new, Nakagawa x Morihiro sharpened knives:

Nakagawa Satoshi Ginsan 3 Gyuto - Blade Only

https://sugicutlery.com/products/cu...-wide-bevel-255mm-golden-koa-and-marbled-horn
https://thecooksedge.com/products/nakagawa-satoshi-silver-3-gyuto-240mm
And then ITEM #: NAHA-K240 on CKTG because it will be censored.

James at Knives and Stones told me the same thing again for this guy: Nakagawa Ginsan Wide-bevel K-tip Gyuto (Kiritsuke) with K&S Ebony Handle

Regardless who cares honestly if he is or isn't doing them. People get too hung up on it. There are plenty of great sharpeners around now who can do just as good a job. I think people read too much about Omegas Konosuke thread and treat Morihiro as some sort of god.

Last edited:
Maybe he isn't doing Kagekiyo specifically now, but here are 3 retailers selling new, Nakagawa x Morihiro sharpened knives:

Nakagawa Satoshi Ginsan 3 Gyuto - Blade Only

https://sugicutlery.com/products/cu...-wide-bevel-255mm-golden-koa-and-marbled-horn
https://thecooksedge.com/products/nakagawa-satoshi-silver-3-gyuto-240mm
And then ITEM #: NAHA-K240 on CKTG because it will be censored.

James at Knives and Stones told me the same thing again for this guy: Nakagawa Ginsan Wide-bevel K-tip Gyuto (Kiritsuke) with K&S Ebony Handle

Regardless who cares honestly if he is or isn't doing them. People get too hung up on it. There are plenty of great sharpeners around now who can do just as good a job. I think people read too much about Omegas Konosuke thread and treat Morihiro as some sort of god.
Yes, and let’s face it, even if it is in fact Morihiro Hamono and not him specifically, he obviously taught his protégés well. They are doing great work so we can all be happy about that.

Yup regardless they are all world class sharpeners, and not sure I could blindly pick who did one vs another if they all decided to finish a knife the same way

Morihiro is not sharpening anymore. Maybe he tried to get back to sharpening but since his last Stroke, he might be just retired early. As you could see in some of his videos, his right hand doesn't really move much.

Morihiro is not sharpening anymore. Maybe he tried to get back to sharpening but since his last Stroke, he might be just retired early. As you could see in some of his videos, his right hand doesn't really move much.
So are the retailers lying or are these all old stock? There are lots of Morihiro sharpened knives for sale right now. At least advertised as such.

So are the retailers lying or are these all old stock? There are lots of Morihiro sharpened knives for sale right now. At least advertised as such.
When people say Morihiro, it could be Morihiro Hamono. which includes his Son and his Grandson, also there is Nishida and other apprentices.

When people say Morihiro, it could be Morihiro Hamono. which includes his Son and his Grandson, also there is Nishida and other apprentices.
I originally thought that could be a possibility... but I'm not so sure why they wouldn't just say Morihiro hamono. Regardless would be a little misleading.

I originally thought that could be a possibility... but I'm not so sure why they wouldn't just say Morihiro hamono. Regardless would be a little misleading.
Because his retirement is unexpected I guess. No one expects he got a stroke last 2020 and people still expect he will continue sharpening.

Attachments

• 772d2d71d5f8de9a7b45495a130eaa49.jpg
    772d2d71d5f8de9a7b45495a130eaa49.jpg
    484.4 KB · Views: 0
  • k171xlpmcr6jnipg8ab1qott1nml43sz.jpg
    k171xlpmcr6jnipg8ab1qott1nml43sz.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 0
Apologies for reviving an old thread but wanted to ask if anyone had any info on this B#2 non-bevelled kasumi Kagekiyo? It has a makers mark opposite the regular kanji but not sure what it says.

https://knife-life.jp/catalog/kagek...40mm-9-5-magnolia-wood-urushi-lacquer-handle/
Just guessing based on the mark for the steel that Nakagawa is the blacksmith. Myojin sharpened the ginsan which is also convex ground. That doesn’t mean he did these though and it’s hard to say from those pictures.

Back