Kagero or gonbei aus10

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Borellski

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been shopping for a new gyuto for about a month now. Which lead me to this forum and down the rabbit hole of alot of different things to consider. Now I believe I have it narrowed down to two. Kagero and gonbei aus10. Both 240mm. My question is for anyone with experience with either one how the differences are. Specifically if the kagero can really hold up to some tougher jobs like hard vegetables and just hours upon hours of professional use daily.
I can commit to sharpening weekly and also might consider bringing a high grit stone to touch up. My concerns are more about wedging while cutting and overall durability of the blade.

Thanks

Kagero won’t wedge, and although really thin grinds don’t in my experience hold edge sharpness as well as more robust knives, a steel like SRS15 (as in the Kagero) or R2 will be towards the better end of edge retention for this geometry.

Thank you for your reply. Have you used the kagero? I am wondering if the steel and the thin grind can stand up to hard vegetables and just alot of prepping. Im not cutting any meat or bones with it but just hardcore prepping. Im looking for a good balance of not wedging and being able to handle the tough jobs too. Edge retention is important but I can sharpen frequently enough where i think its not the forefront of my concerns.

Yes, I had a Kagero sujihiki and an Artisan SRS-15 gyuto (many SRS-15 blades are the same OEM blade, Kagero has a higher end grind and fit/finish). Neither ever chipped, for example, and I used both in a normal rotation for a lot of prep.

That said, durability wise I bet the Gonbei will do you very well if you're doing cases of pumpkins and beets and so on. Haven't used one of those though.

Latest posts

Back