Kanji help- Number 6 cleaver from Tsukiji

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpham12

Reaction score
Hi all, bought this #6 cleaver to fix up, the original owner got it from Tsukiji market a few years ago. Was hoping someone could tell me what the kanji says and if it identifies a specific maker or shop, thanks!

1651603937292.jpeg

1651603975003.jpeg

The kana says "Scott," I'm guessing the original owner got his name engraved on it. The back says white #2 steel, and has a makers mark that I don't recognize. I can't read the kanji on the front unfortunately.

IIRC the mark that resembles a beehive with a number inside indicates dentokougeishi, with the number indicating who. Also, IIRC @KenHash knows who is represented by some of the numbers.

The kana says "Scott," I'm guessing the original owner got his name engraved on it.

+1 to this. The engraving itself in the name written in katakana looks different (and a bit "fresher") to the kanji and number six below indicating they were done separately.

IIRC the mark that resembles a beehive with a number inside indicates dentokougeishi, with the number indicating who. Also, IIRC @KenHash knows who is represented by some of the numbers.
Forgot to update this thread, was told the 38 under the dentokougeishi symbol indicates Kenji Togashi, or at least his workshop.

Back