Kato Alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah so priced the same? Talk about winning the lotto twice. I don't think I've ever timed it so I could put one in my cart, let alone see the asking price.

I just wasn't interested in a Shigefusa no handle western style blade. Like I mentioned earlier I already have the 210 Kato Workhorse (a really fine blade).

I just wasn't interested in a Shigefusa no handle western style blade. Like I mentioned earlier I already have the 210 Kato Workhorse (a really fine blade).
Agreed. My 210WH @216x48 and 206g is just about perfect for me. This and the TF Denka 210 Yo are my 2 fav knives in the collection.

Agreed. My 210WH @216x48 and 206g is just about perfect for me. This and the TF Denka 210 Yo are my 2 fav knives in the collection.

I have two T-F blades a very heavy 240mm Nashiji Gyuto and a very nice 150mm Nashiji Petty (both with ebony handles). My second favorite blade after my Kato is a Konosuke Fujiyama 240mm FT B#2. I also have the older style grind Kono Fujiyama B#2 210 Gyuto in third place.

At 75 years old I'm also a grandfather. I just bought my 20 year old granddaughter a 180mm Watanabe Pro Nakiri with matching Saya. She likes to cook a lot of veggies and I figure that knife will allow me some quite time with her teaching her to sharpen.
At 53 years old I'm a grandfather. At two she loves her vegetables but is far from ready for a Kato. But she may be 20 before I ever actually get one in my cart and checked out....

At 53 years old I'm a grandfather. At two she loves her vegetables but is far from ready for a Kato. But she may be 20 before I ever actually get one in my cart and checked out....

Uhh, 20 years from now, is he going to be still making them? I would think not ;)

I am happy i could buy one on BST a couple of months ago since i doubt i will be able to afford one in the future. And i don't think its about the build but rather the fact that this guy is a legend both in japan and the west and he is 75 so will not be making more soon. Carter was saying in a video about Shiraki that smithing is a hard environment with toxic gases and hard labour and most smiths will retire when in their 70s due to health issues. I think Shiraki retired.
I only wish Kato was making western handle gyutos since i haven't seen one for sale ever. I wonder how hard it is to make western vs wa. Is it more time consuming or a bit more material?
Also is he making any damascus?

As far as I know Kato is as old as me and I'm 75 so I suspect that he won't be producing knives for many more years (if he even still making them).

Just wondering. When was the last time a Kato damascus gyuto come up on the market from an online retailer? Haven't seen any in ages.

I would rather believe that most existing kikuryu are still BNIB ... just not available on the market.

I would rather believe that most existing kikuryu are still BNIB ... just not available on the market.
Or at least purport to be. I don't think they had the mythical status back in the day, when they could be picked up reasonably cheaply from retailers, that they do now.

Last edited:
Wonder if there is a Kato Kikuryu gyuto in Stefan Keller's collection with a wonderful handle.

Lol, that J-T page has been stagnant for 5 years. The kato workhorse and kikuryu were JNS exclusive inventions.

Lol, that J-T page has been stagnant for 5 years. The kato workhorse and kikuryu were JNS exclusive inventions.
Yes, but we're discussing Kato Dammy in general not just the Kikuryu version which I think everyone knows is a JNS exclusive.

So who's this lucky person ;)

Screenshot_20210216-184219_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20210216-214432_Facebook.jpg

I don't get what they mean by "this is not the actual knife". so they stole someone else photo?

Like they had one in stock, but used a product photo that they took previously from their last shipment rather than snap a new photo of an otherwise identical knife.

Back