Kato Alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Work horse kato are amazing knives.
No bull **** about grind tipe, edge retention, etc.....I am working in a pro kitchen and the behavior fantastically 😉.you can like as not but they will be always a great knives.
You can't compare them to others, you just can't!

I'm definitely curious to see how it is, I imagine it is going to be very unique!

I thought my Kato 180mm nakiri was pretty unremarkable. You can shoot me now.

Maybe the nakiri design doesn't allow K-san scope to shine? I've heard the same reaction from a former huge collector upon getting his first Kato, a nakiri.

I like Kato, a lot, but a nakiri is the last knife type I'd buy on the thick side. Let's face it, a nakiri is never gonna be a chuka anyways, it's a sad little compromise IMO. if I'm gonna use a knife without a tip I prefer it be as close to the size of a license plate as possible.

I like Kato, a lot, but a nakiri is the last knife type I'd buy on the thick side. Let's face it, a nakiri is never gonna be a chuka anyways, it's a sad little compromise IMO. if I'm gonna use a knife without a tip I prefer it be as close to the size of a license plate as possible.

Chuka for life

I like my Kato nakiri very much. I don't have issues with the thickness even on onion dicing. Different something for something something....

[video=youtube;eOv4GXn0fHc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOv4GXn0fHc[/video]

I like my Kato nakiri very much. I don't have issues with the thickness even on onion dicing. Different something for something something....

Out of curiosity is yours a workhorse or a original? Guessing a workhorse?

[video=youtube;eOv4GXn0fHc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOv4GXn0fHc[/video]

I now have the same nakiri and am retiring my Shig KU because I like the Kato so much.

I only got some hesitation going horizontally through onions (similar cutting at about 7:00 in video) but the ones I was doing are about 12cm diameter once peeled so I am not surprised.

This has me worried, I have a normal Nakiri on order.. May end up to be a dud

I don't know...maybe it's me. I watched the last video and in all honesty can get the exact same results with my wife's 20 year old stainless Kiya santoku.
The knife itself wont improve your skills, practice will. Do I own a Kato? No. Would I like to try one? Sure! But not because I think it has magical properties.

No knives have magical properties. I can do everything I did in the video with a moderately sharp four star Henckels.

To me, using the types of knives talked about here on the forum is about user satisfaction, not getting a job done. I can get a prep job done with most knives out there, but I get a special enjoyment out of my Katos. I just posted the video to show that onion dicing was not an issue, not to show off some magical results only achievable with a Kato workhorse nakiri.

I think it's one of those things that you have to try for yourself. What feels unique, comfortable and purposeful in my hand on my cutting board might feel like cr@p to you. Different sensibilities, preferences, expectations, prior experiences, and all that come into play.

I will say that my Katos feel very unique in my hand. I think it's the thickness and the contour of the bevels moving up through the blade to the spine. They are a fairly unique grind.

I haven't tried a Kato Nakiri yet, so I don't know if this has the same feel as the gyutos.

Like anything preference related YMMV, but I urge you to try a Kato gyuto if you can.

Cheers

J

Decided against making a seperate thread. Wanted to first thank YG420 for lending me his Workhorse to do a quick comparison.

Original - shorter in length and height, lighter, flatter, thinner at the edge
Workhorse - longer and taller, heavier, larger handle, lots of belly, thicker at the edge

Original Kato
Spine at handle: 5.2mm
Spine over heel: 4.8mm
Spine midblade: 2.0mm
Spine near tip: 0.7mm

Edge Length: 235mm
Height: 51mm
Weight: 223g

JNS Kato
Spine at handle: 6.2mm (+1mm)
Spine over heel: 5.7mm (+.9mm
Spine midblade: 2.3mm (+.3mm)
Spine near tip: 0.8mm (+.1mm)

Edge Length: 247mm (+12mm)
Height: 53mm (+2mm)
Weight: 269g (+46g)

Decided against making a seperate thread. Wanted to first thank YG420 for lending me his Workhorse to do a quick comparison.

Original - shorter in length and height, lighter, flatter, thinner at the edge
Workhorse - longer and taller, heavier, larger handle, lots of belly, thicker at the edge

Original Kato
Spine at handle: 5.2mm
Spine over heel: 4.8mm
Spine midblade: 2.0mm
Spine near tip: 0.7mm

Edge Length: 235mm
Height: 51mm
Weight: 223g

JNS Kato
Spine at handle: 6.2mm (+1mm)
Spine over heel: 5.7mm (+.9mm
Spine midblade: 2.3mm (+.3mm)
Spine near tip: 0.8mm (+.1mm)

Edge Length: 247mm (+12mm)
Height: 53mm (+2mm)
Weight: 269g (+46g)

I passed on a really good deal for non workhorse kato Gyuto. Definitely regret it. Which one do you reach for more?

I will be placed to do a workhorse v std comp tonight. Though not like-for-like as its a 240 workhorse and a 210 std. The workhorse is also modified in that Greg of wabocho thinned it and will have changed the weight with a custom handle.

Thoughts to follow.

I'll be doing the opposite my Workhorse is a 210 and when I get my Standard it will be a 240std. I'm looking forward to your observations Badger.

Nothing quite as empirical as Mike has done and much more anecdotal but these are very different knives. Different profile and feels almost dainty compared to a rehandled workhorse. I had worried that it wouldn't cut with quite as much authority but it really does move through food in a manner that might be tricky to explain to anyone outside of this thread.

And I think I might tentatively cast my ballot for the original... It's really special.

I am jonesing to try a 270mm

Also, there was a little unexpected razzle dazzle on the ferrule.

Is that the reverse of mike's ferrule .. Black with splashes of white or is that scratches.. Sorry, can't really make it out

Back