Kato Alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know if there is actually a supply/demand issue or is it that there are not many retailers besides Maxim selling online? Are Shig/Kato knives easier to obtain if you're in japan and went directly to the the company?

Does anyone know if there is actually a supply/demand issue or is it that there are not many retailers besides Maxim selling online? Are Shig/Kato knives easier to obtain if you're in japan and went directly to the the company?

With Shigs you can't really go direct to the workshop unless you know a close friend or family member who knows the Shigefusa makers. Shigs as a whole are more expensive these days even direct from Japan.

Katos Maksim has his own line and gets rarer/different stuff so pricing is probably a bit higher. From what I have heard Kato is not as popular in Japan, while Shigefusa is very popular.

As mike said, shigs are expensive and hard to find even in japan. I found a few in Kiya and some shops online based in Sanjo but you pay for it.. Kato on the other hand is hard to find in general

Looking forward to see how is the lucky ones which got the last batch of kykuryu from Maxim :). From the few picture they look amazing knifes

Yeah, email claims it was delivered at 7:06am central time. But I have alarms set to go off for such emails, and they hadn't alerted me until well after 7:40

Dude that sucks : /

The new format of the email threw me a bit, too

Mine also went to junk on my gmail but didn't even show up on my other email (subsequent email about stones came thru on both).

Came in right around 7:07 CST but the change from JNS Maksim to Japanesenaturalstones must have messed something up with the email filters.

Yep, there it is in junk mail. Bummer.

Maksim, if you're watching this thread, please send out these emails at precisely 903AM PST so that I might have a chance at picking one of these up.

It was in my junk mail too, and it keeps arriving in the middle of the night (US - Eastern) so when I wake up, they are all gone!

$800 for a 210 mm workhorse... Buy it,don't think about it... Buy it.

Wow, I'd be happy to let mine go for $750, shipping included... That's a steal!

Ridiculous. I've bought two 240's in the past for between 4-500 a piece. This is like the forgecraft thing except on a gross scale.

Tried one from a friend, was nice, the other knifes were cooler, well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .. but gogogo for it!

The Kato/Shig stuff is getting as tiresome as the prices ridiculous. Plenty other knives out there to explore

Back