Kiritsuke or Kiritsuke Yanagiba? Which is it?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. Does “least bad” include the funayuki?
No, The funayuki is designed to be more of an all around knife than a yanagi (and variants), usuba (and variants), or a deba. You have to kind of go out of your way to find ones that aren't double bevels, and at that point you could also be looking for a number of knives designed to be more of an all around knife that happen to have a single bevel on them, IMO.

No, The funayuki is designed to be more of an all around knife than a yanagi (and variants), usuba (and variants), or a deba. You have to kind of go out of your way to find ones that aren't double bevels, and at that point you could also be looking for a number of knives designed to be more of an all around knife that happen to have a single bevel on them, IMO.

So, wait, just want to make sure I’m understanding you. You’re saying I’m less likely to find a single bevel funayuki to be problematic than a yanagi? So, I’m likely to find a funayuki more useful than a yanagi if I’m not cutting sashimi a lot.

So, wait, just want to make sure I’m understanding you. You’re saying I’m less likely to find a single bevel funayuki to be problematic than a yanagi? So, I’m likely to find a funayuki more useful than a yanagi if I’m not cutting sashimi a lot.

I believe he's saying most funayuki are actually double bevel and that's typically what makes them more versatile.

Thanks so much for everyone’s help!

I finally pulled the trigger on a Kitaoka 270mm kiritsuke in white #1.

02887601-1E20-4119-9468-573EE3C25F78.jpeg

Back