Kitchen drawer organization for high-end kitchen knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loopback

Reaction score
I am hoping KKF members will share their kitchen drawer solutions for organizing high-end/collectible knives. I have used magnetic wall and counter blocks in the past, but I am moving and won't have the wall space that I have now. I will have more kitchen drawers in my new home, so I was wondering what others have done to organize their knives in kitchen drawers.

I have knives from 150mm petty to 305mm yanagiba, and would like the solution to be able to accommodate a range of sizes in the same drawer. I'll probably dedicate 2 drawers to knives, and have my daily drivers on a counter magnetic block.

Any pictures, links, or ideas are welcome.

I have a tiny galley kitchen. Here is my knife drawer. I like the in drawer organizers.

IMG_20190528_103829.jpg

The block I have is from Bed Bath and Beyond but has been discontinued. Room for 8 small knives and 7 large knives. In this pic in the big section left to right: 180mm Santoku, 270 Watanabe Gyuto, 10" Sabatier Chef, 10" Old Hickory Chef, 14" Old Hickory butcher knife, 250 Yanagiba, 10" Forgecraft chef. It can hold some beasts, especially lengthwise. Nothing too tall or stout though.

I am hoping KKF members will share their kitchen drawer solutions for organizing high-end/collectible knives. I have used magnetic wall and counter blocks in the past, but I am moving and won't have the wall space that I have now. I will have more kitchen drawers in my new home, so I was wondering what others have done to organize their knives in kitchen drawers.

I have knives from 150mm petty to 305mm yanagiba, and would like the solution to be able to accommodate a range of sizes in the same drawer. I'll probably dedicate 2 drawers to knives, and have my daily drivers on a counter magnetic block.

Any pictures, links, or ideas are welcome.
there are a few threads on this already

I have a tiny galley kitchen. Here is my knife drawer. I like the in drawer organizers.

View attachment 53919

The block I have is from Bed Bath and Beyond but has been discontinued. Room for 8 small knives and 7 large knives. In this pic in the big section left to right: 180mm Santoku, 270 Watanabe Gyuto, 10" Sabatier Chef, 10" Old Hickory Chef, 14" Old Hickory butcher knife, 250 Yanagiba, 10" Forgecraft chef. It can hold some beasts, especially lengthwise. Nothing too tall or stout though.
A while back I put a knife block like this one on the bottom level of a tool box and just stored it at work.

Last edited:
Just toss em all in there, what's the worst that could happen?

RcNqsyI.jpg
Someone got a gift kitchen utensil from her realtor, put this brand new and very sharp sandwich spreader/serrated sandwich cutter into the kitchen spoon, spatula & tongs drawer which should NOT have had any sharps in it. I found it the hard way, the drawer and kitchen floor looked pretty much like your picture...

I took it and threw it out into the yard. Found it later and washed it, put it in a KNIFE BLOCK.

Here is the innocent looking tool which slashed my hand wide open, about the ONLY time I've seen a CUTCO knife slice annything well.

20190602_155007.jpg

IMG_4178.jpg
IMG_4179.jpg

The first is the top drawer for the family with the beaters, my wife’s Gesshin Uraku, and my favorite at the moment—currently a shop made Hinoura—for daily cooking. The second drawer is mine alone which with the help of KKF and the BST forum I’ve been able to assemble with only knives I plan to keep.

View attachment 54195View attachment 54196
The first is the top drawer for the family with the beaters, my wife’s Gesshin Uraku, and my favorite at the moment—currently a shop made Hinoura—for daily cooking. The second drawer is mine alone which with the help of KKF and the BST forum I’ve been able to assemble with only knives I plan to keep.

I have to ask- In the top drawer, left of center. Why the granite rock? Is that for use by the guests who really shouldn't be allowed to handle sharp objects...

Ah, I thought about explaining the granite egg in my initial post. My wife's custom, from Cuba, is to use a rock to crush garlic. I've taken to it myself since I snapped a couple mm off the tip of a Takeda flattening garlic.

That "tool" makes a lot of sense!

I'm getting a garlic mashing rock too. Right out of my garden, probably.

Fortunately, the land around here grows granite boulders better than anything... If anyone needs a tastefully dense yet delightfully primitive special addition garlic smasher? I can offer Wisconsonian glaciation period pieces at a very attractive price.

Ah, I thought about explaining the granite egg in my initial post. My wife's custom, from Cuba, is to use a rock to crush garlic. I've taken to it myself since I snapped a couple mm off the tip of a Takeda flattening garlic.

That "tool" makes a lot of sense!

I'm getting a garlic mashing rock too. Right out of my garden, probably.

Fortunately, the land around here grows granite boulders better than anything... If anyone needs a tastefully dense yet delightfully primitive special addition garlic smasher? I can offer Wisconsonian glaciation period pieces at a very attractive price.

Just got back from an extended weekend in Duluth and along the north shore - I thought of this thread and took a break from taking photos so that I could look for a couple nice garlic mashers from the shore near Split Rock. It's amazing how picky you can be when you have millions to choose from.

48045661441_3117b1aa49_b.jpg

Gave up on the knife drawer...

That's quite a collection. I have to ask:
* What do you tend to use the kiritsuke (top row, ninth from left) for most?
* What are the rightmost two items in the top row?
* Western-handle bunka-knives aren't very common; what is the one on the bottom row, third from left?

Anyways, to post on the main topic of the thread: For me, I'm still left using a generic-made clone of the Wusthof block, and those that don't fit into the block go are covered using blade-covers and left in a cupboard along with all my other knife equipment.

Jesus christ, what size is that shig nakiri?

210 mm cutting edge

That's quite a collection. I have to ask:
Thanks!

* What do you tend to use the kiritsuke (top row, ninth from left) for most?
That is a Kono FM yanagiba; I only use it on raw fish, usually slicing thin

* What are the rightmost two items in the top row?
The far right is a folding kitchen knife by Saji, handmade san mai R2 blade, purchased at the EC KKF GTG from Distrcit Cutlery (thanks again Derek, and WildBoar!)
The smaller knife is a folding 'fruit tester'; long thin blade to cut a piece of fruit, fork on the other end to taste with.

* Western-handle bunka-knives aren't very common; what is the one on the bottom row, third from left?

That is a custom knife made by and gifted to me from the famous damascus steel maker Robert Eggerling. It is a piece of 15N20 steel, 264 mm, with a folded over handle (hey, he's a steel guy). He was in a hurry to get a done for a show we were meeting at (along with all the steel, etc he was bringing) and double stamped the mark. He said usually it would never leave the shop but it had to be.

Great grind and cuts beautifully. Needless to say indestructible. Mr. Eggerling is a gentleman and a true class act, pounding damascus now in his late 70's!

eggerling_chef_m.jpg

eggerling_chef(2)_m.jpg

Here's a petty by Butch Harner from Eggerling mosaic damascus...

harner_petty(2).jpg

Back