Kiyoshi Kato 240 Standard Gyuto Passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

labor of love

Reaction score
Strangely the cracks don't show in the initial photos with the spine the Op posted. Cracks that large are hard to miss.
To the contrary, the cracks aren’t very big at all. Which is why 10 or so people didn’t even notice them and why they only show up in photos where the camera is several inches from the knife.

captaincaed

Reaction score
Cutting playlist

I figure this won't interest most of the older guard, but may interest newer folks who haven't tried a Kato yet (this was my first time). Lots of foods to compare.

For comparison:
Murata santoku as a basic J-knife comparison - thinner behind the edge with harder shoulders mid-blade
Rader gyuto for a midweight full convex comparison
Yoshikane for a super thin comparison with a high polish
Fujiwara for a high-performance comparison
Hunter Valley Blades by Mert Tansu for a workhorse comparison with a different grind style (very thin behind the edge, subtle convex, shoulder very high up the blade (sorry I forgot this one until the apple videos)

I gave it an OK edge. My goal was to minimize steel removed but get in in shape to compare.

The knife is off to @ryanjams insured with an edge, cleaned with Flitz.

Also, I looked hard for those cracks...I think y'all are overthinking that ****.

Last edited:

TSF415

Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the pic it looked similar to the one on my Mazaki which James from KNS said was a de-lamination line. It also looks similar to the Carter that just sold on bst which was originally discounted for having a delam.

Cool set of videos @captaincaed but you scared me when you went to core the apple.

captaincaed

Reaction score
From the pic it looked similar to the one on my Mazaki which James from KNS said was a de-lamination line. It also looks similar to the Carter that just sold on bst which was originally discounted for having a delam.

Cool set of videos @captaincaed but you scared me when you went to core the apple.
It's funny I feel totally confident doing that, and have done it for years. But my balls sucked back up into me when I watched myself editing these videos. I've never cut myself, but I guess there's always a first time for everything.

ryanjams

Reaction score
Knife is safely in my possession. I’ve been using a Ginga 210 almost exclusively since I’ve just been home cooking since March, should be quite a contrast. I’ll probably prep a bolognese this weekend then keep it moving.