KKF counts to a million

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I made purple brussel sprouts in the "tedious prep" thread

damn that was was tedious

hate peeling fresh sprouts

but then again

the end result was nice

but then again

what an annoying cleaning process

but then again

they taste really good

and go great with pretty much any meat

skååål

My cleaning process was pretty much running water, dry and to the pan :cheffry:

Soft iron, reactive in the beginning, but mine, after patina has set, are basically non-reactive.

I feel like a parrot every time Toyama gets brought up, but they are really great knives, and you should buy one while you can get a 15% discount.

Shame it is a 210 as I have a big build and small knives feel, well, small. Would love a 270 but a bit of realistic price range, a 240 would also do but both are out of stock

Each to his own. The 240mm knives usually go quite quick when Maksim has discounts.

I've never really quite understood the "big man needs big knife" argument though. I'm quite tall and I have large hands and long arms, but that doesn't mean I can't use knives shorter than 240mm. In fact, my favorite knife length is somewhere around 225mm. Guess it's a very personal thing, as most things are.

It's all cool. I use a 240 for daily just fine and I would rather not look for a second gyuto on the same length. I princh grip heavily so yes, larger knives feel better in my hand.

What about the watanabes? I only hear good things about them.

I pinch grip far forward too.

I've also never heard anything bad about Watanabe knives. Sometimes if just a picture is posted of either without any text, it takes me a few to figure out if it is a Watanabe or a Toyama. They look incredibly similar and even have pretty similar grinds as far as I've heard. Someone on this forum in a thread somewhere talked about how Toyama's father or grandfather had Watanabe's father as an apprentice or something like that. I can't be bothered to find it, but there was some backstory behind them being so similar looking.

Pretty damn sure you can't go wrong with either. Toyama is just easier for me, as I live in Denmark.

Good stuff to hear. Will maybe walk the watanabe route.

Merry Christmas in a few days everyone

Happy New Year (Or Hogmanay if you are so globally positioned)

How reactive are Watanabe's? i'm on the verge of getting a 270 gyuto but I have not had good experiences with soft iron cladding before..

77 I don't find the Watanabe to be very reactive at all. Potatoes, onions most any veggie except tomatoes. I do wipe the blade down before setting the knife down. Haven't tried it with anything really acidic but I adore his knives.

83 good evening/night :) it's Russian Imperial Stout time. Right now is Alaskan Brewing Co.'s Perseverance.
Also...stout recommendations? Appreciate any input :)

Evening nice folk!

One Q if I may... What grind favours onions? I have a kanetsugu which I find, in my limited experience, is a nice knife, but when dicing onions it is as if the knife doesn't have the inertia to go all the way and stops about 80% down the way, then the rest I have to push it down..

I don't think that it is because the knife is lighter to what I was used before (heavy Germans) or (I think more likely) because of the shape of the grind? Or more to do with the thickness of the tip?

tired night.. made some brown rice to go with some mince meat, celery, onion, garlic, peppers, aromatics and a few spices.

Wife says I'm getting too fat.

Evening nice folk!

One Q if I may... What grind favours onions? I have a kanetsugu which I find, in my limited experience, is a nice knife, but when dicing onions it is as if the knife doesn't have the inertia to go all the way and stops about 80% down the way, then the rest I have to push it down..

I don't think that it is because the knife is lighter to what I was used before (heavy Germans) or (I think more likely) because of the shape of the grind? Or more to do with the thickness of the tip?

87 - which cut? The initial horizontal cuts, the vertical cuts, or the final chopping that makes it into the dice?

87 - which cut? The initial horizontal cuts, the vertical cuts, or the final chopping that makes it into the dice?

The verticals, I get friction and won't get down to the board. It's as if the onion was hugging the tip on the way down..

I am torn if it is having being used to hefty german steel ( my gyuto is a bit of a lightweight) or, I think most likely, the tip could do with a bit of thinning..

Anyhow, I went ahead and ordered some goodies from Koki... should be here later this week :knife:

The verticals, I get friction and won't get down to the board. It's as if the onion was hugging the tip on the way down..

I am torn if it is having being used to hefty german steel ( my gyuto is a bit of a lightweight) or, I think most likely, the tip could do with a bit of thinning..

Anyhow, I went ahead and ordered some goodies from Koki... should be here later this week :knife:

A thin tip certainly helps

Back