KKF Massdrop II - Xerxes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE ALERT

Good news Knife Afficionados.

Given the high level of interest, @nakiriknaifuwaifu, @alterwisser, and I (The RockyBasel) have got agreement with Jannis to make more knives. Remember folks, we want to get you more sharp objects in your kitchen (as if you don't have enough), and further strain your relationships

Jannis will make a maximum of 30 knives for this EPIC XERSES mass-drop. An increase of 50% over his original limit

We will know final numbers in terms of orders Monday. After he wakes up, @nakiriknaifuwaifu will send out a post

His video post next week is on too.....
1616812158029.jpeg

You should do a mass drop for a boardsmith or something next since it seems like everyone here is cutting on coasters 🤣 I have infinite Marcelo envy as the only 270 dalman in the bunch, he can probably test my dastardly limit if he ever wants to let his go. Seems like this is a group of pot stirrers so I’m in here with a long handled spoon. Your heel heights feel like 250 and 270 sizing or maybe I should use my cleavers more to get used to it or find an old takeda. All fun and games, I think if chosen I can be happy with the 250 😉

😂😂😂 the 270 ship is not in this ride! It’s 250 only my friend. In the Honyaki mass-drop, we had only 1 taker for the 270. So we skipped it in this drop

I'll tell my friend. 😇

I'm in for a 250 anyway - 270 would start to be hard to fit on my strip or my board: I like to have a bit of room to work. My board is relatively large: 45 x 61cm, but 220 to 250 hits my sweet spot just fine thanks.

Hi folks, understandably there are a lot of questions on your part and in this post I would like to try to answer some of them.

But first something fundamental:
At the moment I am still working full-time on several other knife projects and therefore I am very busy. I will visit the forum regularly but I will not, at least for the moment, show the same presence as the three organizers. Of course, that will change as soon as production officially begins. At the moment I have to make sure that I get the preparation organized parallel to my actual work. I ask for your understanding if it sometimes takes a little longer.

How I work:
Many have difficulty classifying me as a knife maker. That's because I wasn't fixated on one type of knife. Anyone who orders a knife from me quickly realizes that there are no standard knife types, there is not even a standard ordering process. Rather, I try to tailor each knife individually to the needs of the client. Because if I have learned one thing in recent years, it is that there is no such thing as "the one perfect knife". My shop knives also show a wide range of different profiles, geometries, materials, etc. That is one of the reasons why I give a very detailed description of each knife. So it makes little sense to go through the gallery of my shop or my IG profile to find out what the massdrop knife will be like. You can only do that to get a general impression of my work. What I can say is that the Massdrop knife will be an independent and individual knife, which I designed and developed especially for the KKF in cooperation with the organizers.

As things stand so far, the knife will have the following characteristics:
The cutting edge is slightly curved over the entire length. The curvature is much less pronounced towards the choil, but the knife will not have a real flat spot. The tip will be about midway through the height of the blade. The profile is therefore primarily designed for the push cut.

Link

Rocking motion is also possible.

Link

Chopping is also theoretically possible, but a knife with more flatspot would be an advantage here. The focus is clearly on the push cut and, to a certain extent, on the rocking motion.

The geometry becomes quite complex. At Workhoses I like to work with a quadruple taper. The "Walkschliff" is characterized as follows. Overall, the blade is ground convex, with the thickest point of the blade lying roughly between the middle and the upper third of the blade height. The blade becomes a little thinner towards the back. Why quadruple taper? 1: The thickness of the blade will taper sharply starting from the choil. 2: The thickest part of the blade is at the choil about halfway up the blade and moves upwards the further you get to the tip. This inevitably results in a further change in the angle of the primary bevel. 3: The convexity of the entire blade decreases towards the tip. 4: The bevel on the first cm behind the cutting edge is more convex in the area of the choil and becomes almost flat towards the tip. This results in a very slight incision in the front area of the blade and a significantly stronger displacement towards the choil. The absolute blade strength will be in the following range.

Thickness at the tang: approx. 6mm
Thickness at the choil: approx. 5.5mm
Thickness in the middle: approx. 2.7mm
Thickness 20mm in front of the tip: approx. 1.1mm

I had already made a sketch for the organizers, but it was only a picture of the first ideas. That's why I'm not going to post them here. In the coming days I will try to create a meaningful sketch.

And since it was briefly discussed here, I know what I'm getting myself into when I make 30 knives ;-)

Many greetings, Jannis

@nakiriknaifuwaifu
Will you post a list with all the names before closing the massdrop so we can see if we are on the list?
Thank you!

Yes. I'll repeat this when I close it, but I'll post a list with everyone who signed up on after closing (11:59 PM GMT +1) Monday, and if you don't see your name you can reply to the order message you sent me as proof you got in before close. I will update the list accordingly.

I like to work with a quadruple taper.

“Spock, can you get us out of here?”
“Yes Captain, but I have to precisely calculate our path through the 4th dimensional quadruple taper intersection or the ship will be torn to pieces.”
“Call Jannis in engineering, he’s done this before”

“Spock, can you get us out of here?”
“Yes Captain, but I have to precisely calculate our path through the 4th dimensional quadruple taper intersection or the ship will be torn to pieces.”
“Call Jannis in engineering, he’s done this before”

Aye-Aye captain!

After Jannis gave us that quadruple, convex then flat, knife geometry lesson, I just wanted to say “BOOM”

New to forum. Definetly interested in joining in on the opportunity to be selected considering Im a newb to the forum.

PM’d and subscribed to this one. Nice work/efforts organizers.

I cant afford to participate, but I’m super interested in learning Some new things as this progresses.

This will be very educational - I mean just reading about the geometry was educational

But jannis will do a walk through of his workshop this week - and talk about his machines - that should be interesting

Latest posts

Back