KKF Massdrop II - Xerxes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking through his gallery, I'm guessing the massdrop knife will be similar to this?

https://www.xerxes-knives-shop.com/100-26er-gyuto.htmlworkhorse, gomai(different cladding), 1.2562, octo handle

I can only guess the MD Xerxes will have similarities however the #100 26er was an integral bolster and AFAIK this requires far more work in forging vs. a straight neck(non integral).
Browsing Xerxes gallery just makes me cry so I avoid looking more than a few times a day. I am hoping more akin to this example.

Attachments

• A4DA57F5-A50B-4AAE-BC41-A6D8750BCD0B.png
    A4DA57F5-A50B-4AAE-BC41-A6D8750BCD0B.png
    332.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I actually have this one - the KKF WH will have the tip at mid-point or heel. So yes, somewhat similar, but also dissimilar. Stronger distal taper in the KKF WH
Did experience with this knife play a role in your decision on the dimensions for the drop?

Did experience with this knife play a role in your decision on the dimensions for the drop?
Yes - to a limited extend - I realized that I like the tip to be mid-point of the heel - some profiles have them curved up quite a bit. So that’s what we specified

But on the positive side, there is an incredible feeling of strength, power, and finesse in Jannis’ knives - that I noticed in this one. I did not want to lose that, but I also did not want a tip that would bend too easily either - so healthy distal taper, but some strength in the tip, “ma non troppo” as they say in Italian😊

Yes - to a limited extend - I realized that I like the tip to be mid-point of the heel - some profiles have them curved up quite a bit. So that’s what we specified

But on the positive side, there is an incredible feeling of strength, power, and finesse in Jannis’ knives - that I noticed in this one. I did not want to lose that, but I also did not want a tip that would bend too easily either - so healthy distal taper, but some strength in the tip, “ma non troppo” as they say in Italian😊
Sounds good. This height at the heel seems unusual for this length for regular Jannis knives, he's made a few tall ones including yours, so was wondering why these dimensions. Makes sense now since you tried one of his knives with similar dimensions.

Sounds good. This height at the heel seems unusual for this length for regular Jannis knives, he's made a few tall ones including yours, so was wondering why these dimensions. Makes sense now since you tried one of his knives with similar dimensions.
I personally like the heel height, lots of knuckle clearance as well. ever since I got my Toyama 270x60, I just love heel height. Did not help that I met @alterwisser, he is a true heel height snob😂 and kinda made it a thing in the knives I buy

That first cut in the carrot. Speechless!!!

Yes!!!
This is Xerxes gyuto is very close to what I had in mind :D Maybe with a little lower tip, more gentle curve on the profile, and a little more convexity!!! Incredible.

Anyways, @Xerxes is working on some blueprints and will be sharing them with us in the coming days.

Last edited:
Yes - no saya or box

Understand the kind of havoc a wooden box would cause for the arrangements, and not everyone wants one.
However, still feel kind of a pity that such a nice thing would only come in a cardboard box ..

Back