Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, double what I paid for my White #2! o_O
Apparently, it's because he did the lamination himself! In the future, if he actually polishes the knife face well, it might even go up to that non-sensical Jiro level price lol.

interesting but I think for that price you could do better.
I agree, but it's the same way you can do better at the price of TF, Jiro, Shig, or Kato. The point is I think they are all unique knives that are irreplaceable with other so-called 'better' knives. But it's just my opinion.

I agree, but it's the same way you can do better at the price of TF, Jiro, Shig, or Kato. The point is I think they are all unique knives that are irreplaceable with other so-called 'better' knives. But it's just my opinion.
I disagree. Jiro and Mazaki are still young relatively new knife makers powered by the hype of instagram.

You’re buying a knife with experimental grind, experimental profile, experimental heat treat and inconsistent f&f. You’re not ordering custom. Essentially you’re paying for the price of a Ferrari and getting a Toyota.

Sorry but I don’t buy the idea that Maz or Jiro should be stupidly priced, unless they produce something more consistent and less finicky. Because unless they do, you can’t say if they’re good knifemakers or not.

I disagree. Jiro and Mazaki are still young relatively new knife makers powered by the hype of instagram.

You’re buying a knife with experimental grind, experimental profile, experimental heat treat and inconsistent f&f. You’re not ordering custom. Essentially you’re paying for the price of a Ferrari and getting a Toyota.

Sorry but I don’t buy the idea that Maz or Jiro should be stupidly priced, unless they produce something more consistent and less finicky. Because unless they do, you can’t say if they’re good knifemakers or not.
Yeah, you have a point. But what about your TF obsession? :):):):):)

Apparently, it's because he did the lamination himself! In the future, if he actually polishes the knife face well, it might even go up to that non-sensical Jiro level price lol.
Calling BS on this one. So he wasn’t forging all the other models and now just this line? Cash grab. I’ve had a few Mazaki knives, kept the one good one.... the others were crap.

Calling BS on this one. So he wasn’t forging all the other models and now just this line? Cash grab. I’ve had a few Mazaki knives, kept the one good one.... the others were crap.
Yeah, it may be bs idk. How are all the other ones that you didn't keep crap?

Yeah, you have a point. But what about your TF obsession? :):):):):)
Well, I buy TF for the steel. Find me another knife with higher hardness, non-chipping, stupidly sharp with amazing edge retention and I might just stop my obsession with TF. Because I can’t find any better steel at the moment.

I bet Mazaki is not a one man operation now. Maybe he was in the past but definitely not now.

upload_2020-2-25_6-51-34.jpeg

Martell knives starting to show up at District Cutlery. This one is available now.

There's a difference between forging to shape and forge welding.
Very few makers forge weld the billets themselves, yet still make hand forged knives.
I have no idea though what, if any, advantages the makers gain in doing the initial forge weld themselves.

There's a difference between forging to shape and forge welding.
Very few makers forge weld the billets themselves, yet still make hand forged knives.
I have no idea though what, if any, advantages the makers gain in doing the initial forge weld themselves.
I'm assuming if you forge weld, you can chose the type of cladding to use. Particularly important with designing fancy damascus clad blades. Additionally, using your own clad would let you determine the sharpenability and ease of thinning of your knife.

I'm assuming if you forge weld, you can chose the type of cladding to use. Particularly important with designing fancy damascus clad blades. Additionally, using your own clad would let you determine the sharpenability and ease of thinning of your knife.

This seesm like it would matter more if you are using something like re-claimed wrought iron.

My company has a software product called DP, the lead developer that works on it wears a "I love DP" shirt to work every now and then. Somehow none of the managers have worked it out.

Latest posts

Back