Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Southpaw , that Hitohira has been available elsewhere for a while. Does anyone have a guess on which Sakai sharpeners Hitohira pairs with Y Tanaka? There are only so many of them, right, and there are samples available for comparison from other retailers?

EDIT: Apologies, not sure the kiritsuke tip has been around as long.

Last edited:
@Southpaw , that Hitohira has been available elsewhere for a while. Does anyone have a guess on which Sakai sharpeners Hitohira pairs with Y Tanaka? There are only so many of them, right, and there are samples available for comparison from other retailers?
who is the sharpener? Kyuzo? Kambei? Mokuzo? etc.. those are some of the sharpeners name

I want to share some info for the ones who would like to buy from Ryky's auctions. I was one of his Patreon supporters for couple months to get a KS. And it's quite different and harder comparing with regular auction on eBay. Think twice if you are serious.

- You need to become a patron first, it starts from $5 (basicly only see the conversations and discount codes I think) to different tiers like $10, $20, $50, $100 per month. But Ryky splits the better knives to higher tiers $50 and $100. Only the patrons on that level see the auction and bid. For example $5 tiers didn't see a thing.
- Secondly he generally upload the video around these days, (coming the end of month) Let's say today you've become a tier, paid $100 and waiting for auction. on the day of September 1st, Patreon withdraws another $100 from you (It withdraws the beginning of the month) And according to his sentences you'll never know when he gonna put the item on eBay. He says that he is a new member on eBay and he has limited slots to sell knives.
- Third of all (this is my best) is the "Ryky effect". There are hundreds of uneducated supporters there. His couple knives, I think one was a Yaxell Super Gou or similar to that (I don't remember the second one) is sold higher than the retail/brand new one price. People bidded more because it's coming from Ryky.

Sorry for my English and hope it gives you more hints before pull the trigger.
This guy is a charlatan and thief. He’s also predatory in nature and it’s easily reflected in the way he runs his social media. But such is the game.

This guy is a charlatan and thief. He’s also predatory in nature and it’s easily reflected in the way he runs his social media. But such is the game.
50$ for just watching the average knife auction, 100$ for being in an auction where the fanciest knife is a standard Kato. Multiply that by 10 to 100 fools joining to watch, this means he must have made a fortune from the peeping show alone.

Love this! I bet he doesn’t even sell the Kato
It may also be that his target market doesn’t understand the value of knives like that, and that’s entirely by design. The predatory part of it really lies in the lesser quality things being hyped up and sold at inflated prices. I’d almost say he doesn’t even value a Kato as art like we do, his actions make it feel like these are just ‘things’ and a means to an end. In all honesty it’s completely brilliant marketing and reminds me a lot of how social media operates- taking advantage of tiny cracks in our feeble brains by targeting super basic human psychology and using that leverage against our better judgement.

If I recall correctly, he said in his video about auctioning the knives over a period of time and that some may take place up to something like November? Can't recall the time when the auctions will finally end.

But this would mean that people paying $100 per month for his patreon for this privilege would be paying Aug, Sep, Oct & Nov. So spending $400 each to wait for the auction of the unnamed Kato. You would think that people might bid a bit aggressively facing the prospect of ending up with nothing after having contributed so much to his patreon account. What a scammer.

All I can say to those who participated is that:

You've been Ryky'd, suckers.

If I recall correctly, he said in his video about auctioning the knives over a period of time and that some may take place up to something like November? Can't recall the time when the auctions will finally end.

But this would mean that people paying $100 per month for his patreon for this privilege would be paying Aug, Sep, Oct & Nov. So spending $400 each to wait for the auction of the unnamed Kato. You would think that people might bid a bit aggressively facing the prospect of ending up with nothing after having contributed so much to his patreon account. What a scammer.

All I can say to those who participated is that:

You've been Ryky'd, suckers.

Tanaka White #1 clearance sale @ JNS

Be careful, the knife is only 8 inches away from hell, quote: “Hell to Tip Length- 197 mm” 😱

B5CF493C-FF8C-4400-B5E2-B18E47410A3F.png

There's also 2 Delbert Ealy knives up on ebay. A damascus petty/paring as well as an 8.5" chef/line knife

Last edited:
Back