Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In case you needed more convincing. Just listen to this Knifewear guy spouting untruths about TF. "All their own laminations inhouse" plus many other misinformations. What a joke.

Do you have a source saying they don't do it in house?

Knifewear says they do here: https://knifewear.com/blogs/articles/knife-knowledge-basics-layered-steel

"The Haruyuki Kokuto series, one of our favourite factory forged lines, takes advantage of some pretty sophisticated technology. They work with “pre-laminated” steel, which has been perfectly forge welded together in a steel factory for extreme quality and consistency. They then cut their knife shapes out of a large sheet of san-mai steel with a cookie cutter-like punch. Meanwhile, our pals like Fujiwara-san forge weld the steel themselves by stacking three layers together and forging it under their springhammer."

Both the guy in the video and the owner have visited Fujiwara's workshop (and gone behind the scenes there) so I don't see why they would be wrong about it.

From what I remember, the denka and mabo are laminated in house, the rest aren't. I've also seen videos where they talk about Fujiwara san laminating and forging himself like you just quoted, but everyone else has said he has retired from forging for decades...

Reactions: thp
From what I remember, the denka and mabo are laminated in house, the rest aren't. I've also seen videos where they talk about Fujiwara san laminating and forging himself like you just quoted, but everyone else has said he has retired from forging for decades...
Even if the steels aren't hand forged in house, I'm willing to bet the handles are actually made by them.

From people who work there. Forge welding stainless to carbon steel is not trivial and requires special equipment. I tend to believe my sources.

Well in that case it's your word against their word, but they have personally visited TF in Japan many times, interviewed him, gone behind the scenes with him, etc, so I don't see why I wouldn't believe them.

And damn proud they are too...... wabi sabi all the way
See that massive gap?

Braxton Family Values Singing GIF by WE tv

Well in that case it's your word against their word, but they have personally visited TF in Japan many times, interviewed him, gone behind the scenes with him, etc, so I don't see why I wouldn't believe them.
You're free to believe what you like.

If you need an expensive project knife, look no further!
(mine is actually a Morihei but seems to have similar wabisabi)

Sadly, knifewear don´t even get the spelling right...
Then there is that Hiromoto Honyaki

The fine finish Morihei TF's are surprisingly devoid of most egregious wabi sabi. Well worth the extra cost.

The spelling is why I haven't stumbled on that Knifewear Gold before. It just popped up on my main page feed. I wonder how many more undiscovered nuggets lay hidden on YT.

In case you needed more convincing. Just listen to this Knifewear guy spouting untruths about TF. "All their own laminations inhouse" plus many other misinformations. What a joke.

"The more you hit steel with a hammer, the better it's gonna work" 🤔

Back