Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Mazaki 240 with a KnS handle on it that weighs exactly 271 grams after a healthy thinning (Perfect pinch grip balance too). It certainly is the most workhorse thing I own but it's surprisingly nimble.
How much did you shave off in the thinning?

Interesting specs and testimonial from James. At that height and price point, I cannot help but compare it to a Yoshi SKD. I know the profiles are different and of course the YXR7 may be slightly harder but the Yoshi SKD12 knives are no slouch either and some of the best performance grinds in the business. I guess it comes down to profile preference as well as getting an extra 10mm out of the Yoshi. Hmm.....

I swear, if for some reason we could convince Mr. Yamamoto to make a run of his knives at a ~56mm heel height they would sell out before they were even produced. I'd legit main a tall Yoshi SKD12 and 90% of my knives would sit on the wall collecting dust.

Interesting specs and testimonial from James. At that height and price point, I cannot help but compare it to a Yoshi SKD. I know the profiles are different and of course the YXR7 may be slightly harder but the Yoshi SKD12 knives are no slouch either and some of the best performance grinds in the business. I guess it comes down to profile preference as well as getting an extra 10mm out of the Yoshi. Hmm.....

I swear, if for some reason we could convince Mr. Yamamoto to make a run of his knives at a ~56mm heel height they would sell out before they were even produced. I'd legit main a tall Yoshi SKD12 and 90% of my knives would sit on the wall collecting dust.
YXR7 is very different than SKD. YXR7 is super duper tough. You can hack through bamboo with it without damage

YXR7 is very different than SKD. YXR7 is super duper tough. You can hack through bamboo with it without damage

Yes, I read a bit about it and semi-matrix steels and it definitely seems very tough. However, for a gyuto I feel like a properly treated SKD12 is more than enough for it's intended use. Maybe someone would entertain making a clever or a honesuki out of YXR7! :)

At that height and price point, I cannot help but compare it to a Yoshi SKD. I know the profiles are different and of course the YXR7 may be slightly harder...
YXR7 is very different than SKD

Grind is very different too. Sukenari is a midweight with good convexity but almost no distal taper and a thick-ish tip. Yoshi is a quasi-laser with a thicker spine and nice taper but only very subtle convexity. If the YXR7 is anything like my ginsan, the Sukenari will need some thinning, which won't be fun with that steel.

Grind is very different too. Sukenari is a midweight with good convexity but almost no distal taper and a thick-ish tip. Yoshi is a quasi-laser with a thicker spine and nice taper but only very subtle convexity. If the YXR7 is anything like my ginsan, the Sukenari will need some thinning, which won't be fun with that steel.
shouldn't be a problem it's not a heavy carbide steel and it's stainless clad anyway. Regardless not for me, I have my Sukenari ZDP I'm quite happy with

HAP-10 is between HAP-40 and YXR7, a bit less wear resistance than HAP-40 but more than YXR7, a bit less toughness than YXR7 but more than HAP-40 and described to be more specificaly resistant to micro-chipping.
I would go for HAP-10 instead of the two others.

HAP-10 is between HAP-40 and YXR7, a bit less wear resistance than HAP-40 but more than YXR7, a bit less toughness than YXR7 but more than HAP-40 and described to be more specificaly resistant to micro-chipping.
I would go for HAP-10 instead of the two others.
Never seen hap-10 in a kitchen knife before though have you?

Back